What's new

Theme Park History on your Birthday

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Anyone here got a special theme park related event (good or bad) which happened on the same day as their birthday? (Not "i rode diz ride on my birfday and woz da bomb") ;)

My birthday is June 26th. On this day in 1927, Coney Island Cyclone opened for the first time.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
July 4th, surely something good has happened?

Are you going on a website to find it or something, or do you just know from memory?

Kebab

Giga Poster
Interesting topic but nigh-on impossible to figure out what happened on the exact day. Not sure if anything happened on 10th January, probably some rollercoaster has begun track-work?

Gazza

Giga Poster
Air opened on my birthday, which I thought was pretty cool at the time...That was one ride in particular I'm sure ALL enthusiasts were fascinated by back then.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
This 'Today in Amusement Park History' widget graces my iGoogle:

http://www.derekclayton.com/tiah/

No idea how to find out what happened on any day apart form today though :(

From Wiki: on 22nd June 1931 a fire almost destroyed Clementon Park - a small amusement park located in Clementon, New Jersey.

According to The New York Times, "a vivid pyrotechnic display and the successive reports of exploding cartridges added to the spectacular aspect of a fire which swept through part of Clementon Park, a South Jersey pleasure resort." The fire had reached the cartridge supply of the shooting gallery setting off explosions. Firemen from six adjoining towns fought the fire which was contained to the shooting gallery and a "pretzel ride." The damages were estimated to be $2000.

s15c

Mega Poster
Fred Rogers died- or the Comet at Forest Park Highland was demolished. Not much going on in February.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Oooooh. I share my birthday with Werner Stengel. I'll definitely add that to my "interesting things that happened on my birthday other than the Battle of Bosworth" list :p

jamesc

Roller Poster
Vampire opened at Chessington the year of my 18th and I also remember I was playing with one of my presents in the que line.

Mark

Strata Poster
Hmmm... the exact day I was born:
Monday, October 17, 1983 - At the Texas State Fair in Dallas, Texas, an 18-year-old male was killed when a car of an Enterprise ride broke loose and fell to the ground. Several other people were seriously injured in the accident.

Also on October 17th:
2007, The Walt Disney Company announced a multi-year, $1.1 billion expansion plan for Disney's California Adventure Park. (Work still going on from that :p)

Brett7710

Mega Poster
My birthday is October 7th, I found these:

on October 7, 2001, Déjà Vu opened at Six Flags Great America (Since moved to Silverwood)

On October 7, 2010, ten people received minor injuries when the two Pony Express (at Knott's Berry Farm) trains collided in the station of the ride. The launch system failed to power the first train over the first hill causing it to roll back into the station and collide with the second train.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I have no idea, but I've bookmarked that site Mysterious Sue linked for when 4th September rolls round in 11 months time :wink:

Mike

Giga Poster
Ian said:
I have no idea, but I've bookmarked that site Mysterious Sue linked for when 4th September rolls round in 11 months time

A small theme park in Japan opened called Tokyo Disneysea on the 4th September, 2001, followed by their Tower of Terror 5 years later on the same day.

On my birthday, 21st September, nothing seems to have happened.