What's new

The

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Essentially, it's acceptable to use the word "the" before a common noun, but not a proper noun - though there are exceptions and it's a bit difficult really - I'm sure Gavin could give us a more detailed explanation :lol:

As ride names are generally proper nouns, it's the incorrect use of grammar that makes it irksome when people use it.

Nemesis is a good example. Nemesis is a noun which describes a particular type of enemy.

"Moriarty was the nemesis of Sherlock Holmes" is fine. It explains not just what Moriarty is, but that he's a definite, number one, most important one.

You could also say

"Nemesis is the B&M inverted coaster at Alton Towers". If Nemesis was the only ride at Alton, then "Nemesis is the ride at Alton Towers". You couldn't however say (speaking about Nemesis) "This is The nemesis of Alton Towers" as nemesis and Nemesis are two very different things.

However, you could say "That ride is the Nemesis of Hersheypark" using the proper noun to help describe something else.

For rides like "The Swarm", it's helping to narrow down and make important the common noun to use it as a proper noun. There are other swarms, yeah sure, but this is The Swarm. The hulk is the same. There are other things which can be described as hulks, but this is THE Hulk. The only hulk you need to concern yourself with and it's distinct from any other thing described as a hulk. All within context of course :lol:

There's a lot more to it, but I'm boring myself. Just slap anybody who gets it wrong, or call them by "The" in front of their name all day and see how they like it ;)

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^The Furie? That works - sort of. :wink:

What annoys me the most is when parks put sponsors on the start of the name like, Irn-Bru Revolution and Pepsi Max Big One. To me they ruin the 'intimidatingness' of the name. In general I'm alright with the 'the' on the beginning of most things, but when it's not a plural (eg- The Beatles), or an object, I'm not keen. Things like 'The Big One' work in my opinion, but 'The Prodigy', for example, doesn't.

So, for most coasters I'm alright with it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Officially? No. I believe that parks should not include "The" at the beginning of their roller coaster.

Unofficially? Yes. As roller coasters gain notoriety, "The" will be used more and more. THE Nemesis, THE Superman, THE Millennium Force. They are popular rides, which to the GP are unique, one-of-a-kind rides. Using "The" is befitting, as to regular visitors there is no experience like it.

I guess I argue then for a case of "Ignorance is bliss." If a ride is the only one of its kind in a visitor's perspective, then it is befitting to use "The."

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
A "The" at the front of a name doesn't always bother me, except in a few cases.

I am guilty of inserting a "The" where it may not be officially required, though.

For example: The Cyclone is the one in Coney Island to me, even if it doesn't actually have "The" in its name.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That works though Chris. There are many rides called "Cyclone", so you can say "The Cyclone" in the same way would say "The wildebeest" at a zoo. You're not talking about every wildebeest in the world, just the ones at the park. It's become a common noun because there are so many, like "The Scenic Railway". It's one of those grey area ones where it's okay.

You could say the same about "Batman" too I guess, but we all recognise Batman as a proper noun.

Beans

Hyper Poster
furie said:
It's also a bane for people like Beans. Okay, so The Swarm is "Swarmie", but it should really be The-ee, likewise The Smiler, making it not only annoying but it grates my pedant bone too ;)

Haha Phill, actually not thought about The Smiler, it will just be Smiler I think, it's name doesn't really call to be "ie'd".
For those that work in said parks they do not refer to them day to day with "The" included in there names....not that I have heard anyway, especially for Saw and Swarm, although I think The Slammer would annoy most, as they have probably felt that way getting off of it....I can think of a more appropriate name for that one...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Beans said:
I think The Slammer would annoy most [sic] I can think of a more appropriate name for that one...
Slammie?

Beans

Hyper Poster
marc said:
The Smilie has to be done.

I will let you run with that one Marc.

And Ian, Slammer will always be (in the words of The Undead One) Slapper.
OMG Leigh has that ride now, and he actually like working on it.