What's new

The Xpress Construction Topic B&M Invert Pg. 5

Xpress

Strata Poster
I swear I had one of these somewhere on here, but I can't find it.. :?

Anyways, didn't feel like making topics for a few rides I've been toying with as of late..

First off (Jer, don't hctib about it), a B&M transporter:

vertigojump.jpg

Yeah, I know, Hyper trains and blah, but my thoughts were "What if B&M had a transporter?" Of course I had to be halfway asleep on pain meds and muscle relaxors, but nontheless it's a good idea, I think :?

I used the Hyper trains because they're lower profile.

Next is a launched woodie I was toying with the other day:

kwasai.jpg

Got some bugs to work out with this one before I can say it's in motion.

More to come...

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I really like the compact transporter! But maybe increase the radius of the top of the lift.

As for the woody, I'm not sure. I'm never a fan of wooden coasters that ride like steel ones,

Xpress

Strata Poster
I thought about increasing the lift radius, but after checking out the trains it seems fine, they don't seem stressed too much.

The wooden I can see where you're coming from. Making a woodie ride like a steel would nearly defeat the purpose of it being a wooden, so I am trying to come up with a clever GG style layout that incorporates popular GG elements, and make it all flow as a regular woodie- just without the lifthill.

Xpress

Strata Poster
UC said:
If you manage to keep the wooden coaster compact, you might actually convince me there could be a niche for things like that in the real market...

Space would really seem to me to be the only reason one could even remotely want to buy a launched wooden coaster...

The thing I had in mind was keeping the layout roughly the size of your average GCI, so it's not a traditionally LARGE Gravity Group (especially if you compare to rides like The Voyage, or Hades), but medium size with what I had in mind- something a small to medium sized park could fit on a flat. The size right now (accounting for supports and possibly minor theming) is 150M x 60M roughly.

I wanted to aim for right around 3000 feet as well and have a launch speed of 52mph, and sofar, it's looking quite good, although not the most compact thing out there:

kwasai2.jpg

Mostly this is a rough draft. I will probably put this track out there for download once it's had a semi-proper support job done on it, but then I will begin work on another launched woodie- this time a woodie built into the terrain, as I've never tried to experiment with a terrain based ride (as far as I can remember anyways), mostly all of my stuff has been built upon flat ground, and only some slight terraforming has been accomplished post supporting.

Seems that a terrain based woodie would benefit from a launch, as it would allow the ride to keep a low profile, for those height restricted parks (Alton Towers, for example)

The elements you see in the above photo I tried to shape as accurate (as NL will allow) as the real elements, while keeping them as tight as the speed would allow.

Also, a launched wooden coaster would very easily allow for a smaller and thus more compact ride than a lifthill would allow. This one is being launched at a pretty speedy pace, especially considering the max height is 55ft. A slower launch, say 35-40mph would very easily allow a smaller layout, something 2000ft. or less that could easily fit on a 50x8M lot.

I shall have more to come...

A

Anonymous

Very nice job Xpress! The B&M looks a lot like a space diver. The GCI looks nice as well.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Well actually it's supposed to be a Gravity Group, but seeing as the GCI Millennium Flyer is the only train that somewhat looks identical to Gravitykrafts Timberliner 1 bench trains, I went with those.

Anyways, been working on a feasible ending that isn't too abrupt, but also isn't too stretched out, and I think I'm getting close to something:

kwasai.jpg

Xpress

Strata Poster
An update on the woodie:

kwasai3f.jpg

Color has been adjusted, and the painful support work has begun. Wooden layouts feel SO much better when they have proper supports :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Looks interesting. I have to admit, both of these ideas look interesting. It'll be cool to see how they come out in the end.

A

Anonymous

i love the colors on the woodie. Did you actually do the supports by hand? That must have taken a lot of patience. :)

Xpress

Strata Poster
NO. I can't stand placing all of those free standing support connection nodes, that would drive me to the point of insanity. BUT, there won't be a single support that hasn't been touched below the track once this is finished. If you want a woodie done properly, then you need to use your hands ;)

Xpress

Strata Poster
Sorry for bumping, but I have made good progress on supporting the woodie, of which is now named Kwasai.

kwasai5.jpg

kwasai4.jpg

This provides amazing headchopper, and is hella fun to ride through.

To the untrained eye, it may just look like a lot of flibbity flab and mumbo jumbo, however there is a lot of work that has been done to the auto supports to get them to look realistic. I won't go into details, you will see in the end result.

Twn114

Roller Poster
This is looking really awesome!! I really like it when a woodie isnt super tall or really long!

looking nice and fast paced!

Xpress

Strata Poster
Got more work done with supports. Getting closer to the halfway mark. It's not that the supports are hard to do.. It's just that there's so many!!!!!!! :evil: :? :shock:

kwasai7.jpg

Xpress

Strata Poster
More work done on the supports. Haven't had much progress between getting my Jeep rolling again, starting up the family business, and friends, but scraped up some time this morning:

kwasai8.jpg

Xpress

Strata Poster
I was gunna wait, but I guess a triple will have to suffice :(

IT'S COMPLETED!!! Well, the supports that is :)

kwasai9.jpg

A careful eye will notice the number of crossover beams this twister needed.... :?

Lofty

CF Legend
Ooh. Looks really nice Xpress!
I love how even though it's a pretty small layout (in terms of footprint), the supporting structure makes it looks beefy!

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Reaaaally nice Xpress. It's good to see you putting actual thought into your layout and time into your supporting.

Looks like a fantastic ride that wouldn't look out of place in the real world. I look forward to riding it. Maybe some light terrain work and cartextures just to finish off the whole thing.