What's new

The TV we watch...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I did the same; just plowed through the whole 5 series in the space of a couple of weeks.

peep

CF Legend
Just started watching Portlandia which I'd seen referenced a fair bit recently. Turns out it's awesome in it's own very odd way. It's like a bizarre relaxed American version of Little Britain, a set of weird characters all set in Portland. I love the Mayor character played by the guy from Twin peaks.

Belfast Conor

Roller Poster
Walking dead starts tonight again, which is head and shoulders above anything new I have seen recently. Any office fans both (UK and the US)need to also get on Parks and Recreation as it's one of the funniest shows currently coming out of the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Cheers for the heads up Conner - I keep missing shows after the "breaks" mid season. I'll have to make sure I watch the new episodes.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Love Parks and Recreation (not a huge fan of The Office, but I see the similarities). It's one of those light, feelgood shows that you can just stick on whenever and it guarantees a smile. Community is also great for that.

Series 1 of Jinsey just arrived on DVD. Yay!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
2 episodes down in the 2nd half of Walking Dead (S4), opinions?

I thought the first was a bit slow and tedious and took an hour for the Carl/Rick relationship to come full circle. There were certain pluses in it, Michonne's scenes were good, especially the flashback, explained the first walkers she had. Carl's scene in the kids room was very telling and the chocolate pudding house in general was enjoyable.

The 2nd was better, it needed to get back to the other characters without doing full episodes based on a small amount of people. Looks like we have a psycho kid in the house, but good to find out what happened to Lilith. I loved the way Glenn just got up and got on with looking for Maggie, he's really grown since S1. From what I've heard re: the comics, Abraham and Eugene (the guys at the end) are excellent characters.

Looking forward to the rest, not disappointed so far.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Why must HBO produce a show that makes me feel some feels. Looking is utterly awesome and it sucks that next week is the season finale.

I did spazz a bit at the surprise kiss, but sweet god I hope their line pans out more than whats shown.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I don't watch much TV but I LOVE The Amazing Race and I'm really enjoying this season, especially because it's All Stars. Rooting for Joey & Meghan and Margie & Luke this time around. Sucks that Kentucky went home this past week but I was glad that the first team to go (Natalie & Nadiya) just HAPPENED to be the most annoying people on the race. Got rid of them, let's enjoy the rest of them.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
DelPiero said:
2 episodes down in the 2nd half of Walking Dead (S4), opinions?

Opinions? I still can't get my head around Walking Dead :lol:

I watch it without fail every week (I don't even do that leaving it on the box thing and catchup in big gulps), but I have no idea if I really enjoy it or not.

It just plods along, not really doing anything wrong, but never really engaging me either. I love the production quality. It's a gorgeous thing to watch, everything is really superb. The design, the created world, the characters - just everything.

The problem is (possibly), it feels like all the characters are completely dispensable. They're all like cookie cutter character classes in a game of Dungeons and Dragons. You have the mage, the ranger, the paladin, the fighter, the rogue, etc. I didn't care when Hershel bought it, because it was just inevitable - I've already come to terms with the fact they're all dead.

It would help if there was a lot going on, but each episode is very slow. You could cut out the dead time and condense a series into a single episode.

However, maybe that's the entire strength and why I watch it all the time. It's the realism of the overall thing. Like life, it's mostly mundane. In the zombie apocalypse, this is probably what it will be like.

It really does confuse me why I keep watching it, but it must be good :lol:

I think the thing that really confuses me is that series like this which don't seem to have a particular radar and plod keep on getting renewed. Cheesy rubbish like Grimm keep on getting another year. Yet a series like Carnivale - which was as high quality as Walking Dead but with gripping characters, gripping stories and a wonderful setting - get dropped after something like 20 episodes, just as they're getting really good.

It boggles my mind. If you haven't seen Carnivale, try and find somewhere that it's shown (I borrowed the entire lot from Lovefilm, but it was on the Virgin TV catchup thingy for ages too). Superb TV and if you have a love for Walking Dead (it's very similar in presentation) it's likely you'll adore it.

peep

CF Legend
I've only watched 6 eps of Walking dead and I don't get the hype? Oddly enough I did find myself by the end like Phil and became happy to just sit and watch it?

Ha, I watch Grimm which I know is dreadful but I kinda love it at the same time? I feel like it's got to a point where they don't know where to take the story though and the first ep of season 3 was all over the place.

I watch Nashville which is also cheesy rubbish but I love it, it's like a better quality version of Eastenders but with better people and good music.

Did anyone else watch the new ep of Jonathan Creek on Friday? Wasn't it just rubbish? The writing was all over the place and they changed the way the show pans out which my colleague and I didn't like (shows you how the murder pans out rather than Creek actually working it out first). Something has also been nagging me, they tell you how something is cleaned up but not how the container moved back?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I got through the first 6 episodes or so of Grimm and had to call it quits, which I rarely do; it's dreadful.

I've just started watching Raising Hope, which for some reason I thought was some kind of drama. Turns out it's a comedy and is actually **** ing hilarious. Martha Plimpton is amazing in it. I'm only three episodes in though, so I hope it manages to keep it up for a while.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
An open letter to the BBC:

Hello, I'm American. And I enjoy a lot of your programming. I also enjoy that we have BBC America. But I do not enjoy the lag in program air time across the pond. This is an unfair taxation of my time; and if there's anything we have learned, it is that Americans do not enjoy unfair taxation. This isn't colonial times.

Matt

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I laugh! It's unusual for Oscar winning films to have been released yet here at Oscar time.

We're also usually several weeks/months behind on programs hitting our shores. Revolution only just started here again over the weekend just gone and it's looking like May before we pick up on Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

Although at times we may only be a few days or a week out, but that's for everything coming over, not just one channel.

Piracy exists because of reasons? ;)

nealbie

CF Legend
Hyde244 said:
An open letter to the BBC:

Hello, I'm American. And I enjoy a lot of your programming. I also enjoy that we have BBC America. But I do not enjoy the lag in program air time across the pond. This is an unfair taxation of my time; and if there's anything we have learned, it is that Americans do not enjoy unfair taxation. This isn't colonial times.

Matt

WTF?!

I'm guessing you're joking as we're talking at worst a 1 day delay for shows like Top Gear and Doctor Who (sometimes even a few hours difference), when generally the UK has to wait days, weeks or even months for US shows.

If you are joking, it's not funny. *genuinely perplexed* (can you create a perplexed emote for me please furie? I get the feeling I'll need it again :lol: )

DelPiero

Strata Poster
furie said:
If you haven't seen Carnivale, try and find somewhere that it's shown (I borrowed the entire lot from Lovefilm, but it was on the Virgin TV catchup thingy for ages too). Superb TV and if you have a love for Walking Dead (it's very similar in presentation) it's likely you'll adore it.
I'll definitely try to find it once I've caught up on Modern family, cheers :salut:

peep

CF Legend
Decided last week to start watching Orange is the new black. OMG it's fantastic, the characters are excellent and it's got a nice humour to it all. I got a little addicted (curse you Netflix!) and ended up watching it until 4am last night so within a week I watched both seasons. It was just too good to stop watching. Look forward to Season 3 now.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
I'm thinking of starting Game of Thrones considering my love for TES: Skyrim. I've read reviews of the show and they say its amazing. Is it that good?

Pierre

Strata Poster
peep said:
Decided last week to start watching Orange is the new black. OMG it's fantastic, the characters are excellent and it's got a nice humour to it all. I got a little addicted (curse you Netflix!) and ended up watching it until 4am last night so within a week I watched both seasons. It was just too good to stop watching. Look forward to Season 3 now.

I love it, I'm about four episodes away from finishing season two. There has been the odd one or two episodes that have dragged a little but other than that it's a very solid series. I really want to watch the last few but I watch it with my girlfriend who is in Dundee visiting family until Saturday! :x

There's a lot of characters but that doesn't mean there's a weak link, every character is as strong as the other. Having said that, although the story is based around Piper I actually get more into the other characters and their stories.