What's new

The TV we watch...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It's great apart from the overrated midget. Ooohhhh he's a midget, give him an Emmy. He's ****, and his "british" accent sucks balls.

Jake

Strata Poster
^ I quite like him, but only for the things he does/says. Don't really give a **** that he's a midge... they defo should have found a British one though.

My personal fave is Khaleesi I think. She's fierce <3.

g1337239516307571307.jpg

Half way through season 2 now and will probably inhale the rest tonight <3.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
I want a good explanation why nobody is talking about the awesometacularness that THE WALKING DEAD: Season 3 is. Because it's great. So far, anyway. The one episode, so far. Yay!

Intricks

Strata Poster
Been watching a lot of Netflix (forever alone amount wise) and got recommended a Korean show called Flower Boys Ramen Shop. It is interesting to say the least, but I am still massivley confused how I got the show recommended for me.

Regardless, it is interesting and has kept my attention thus far.

In other news, RuPauls All Stars! Yay! Kinda want Juju or Shanel to win, but it will most likely be Chad.

Season 5 contestants got announced as well! Bigger yay! Ive heard of none of them, but Detox looks fab I guess.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^All Stars has been crap, really crap.

I'm looking forward to the new season though. Alaska looks quite fab, though it's going to get very boring very quickly if they go for the easy drama and say she's only there because of Sharon Needles. Detox should be good; I really like the stuff she's done with Willam before, so I'm hoping there's a similar sense of humour with her. Ivy Winters is going to look amazing (she makes most of Manila Luzon's costumes), but I've got no idea what she'll actually be like apart from that.

At the moment though, I think the one to watch could be Jinkx Monsoon; she's really grabbed my attention so far.

Intricks

Strata Poster
It has. You can tell it was just filler before the new season. I do feel glad about Jujus possible engagement.

Ive kinda looked through them, but outside of Detox, Penny and Jinkx, none of them just really seem to pop out at me.

Although the Kenya 'twin', Monica Beverly Hillz, will be interesting to watch play out.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I don't see Penny making it very far. Seems too nice, and a bit too "small town" if that makes sense.

Intricks

Strata Poster
I believe she went from big city to Cincinnatti. I hope to see her make it til at least top 6, but never know.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Bit of a resurrection here, but has anyone else been watching "The Returned"?

It's a creepy French TV series (subtitled) about a small town where some of the dead come back to life (not like zombies, but as there were before they died).

As the dead are kind of accepted back with the people they loved, other weird things start to happen. Murders, mass animal suicides, power outages, etc. It's a really slow build that gets the mood set brilliantly. It's intriguing as so little is explained, there's no "OMG CLIFF HANGER!!!" at the end of each episode, but it's still fantastically compelling. It's picking up pace now and heading for a major incident, all the well paced and well laid back stories are coming together and you can feel the mystery is about to be revealed and a massive shock is about to hit the town and people.

It's really dysfunctional and atmospheric, the kind of thing that could only ever work as a French production due to the nature of the French people (not a bad thing, they're just quite blunt and take no bull, but without making a big deal out of it.) - so expect a US remake in six months which completely ruins it ;)

If you like haunting mysteries though, it's well worth watching. Ben would like it, it's like a subtle, understated Alan Wake.

Also watching the new BBC medieval drama "The White Queen". It's set in the latter half of the Wars of the Roses, with the newly crowned King Edward IV taking his (pretty much) common wife, Elizabeth
Woodville and the problems that causes the York cause.

It's a period of history I adore, and having spent around ten years reenacting the period, I know a fair amount about the history, costumes, culture, etc. However...

This is a deeply intense period of history, with massive political machinations and huge, bloody battles which shaped the English political, social and empirical systems for over a century (eventually culminating with Elizabeth I). So even if you think you know the stuff, you'll quite often still have to cross reference a lot of family trees and history to keep abreast of who is who, why they believe they have a claim to royalty, why they are enemies with specific households, etc, etc, etc. It's vital that a series like this is on top form in terms of accuracy and clarity of information.

Instead the BBC don't explain anything, miss out the battles completely and have it concentrating on the fact Elizabeth Woodville is a witch. The costume department don't understand what a codpiece is for (Edward IV's is particularly offensive), or that it was considered as rude to expose your hair as it is today to wander around with your knob hanging out, how shifts are worn and that the zip wasn't invented for several centuries.

It also has horse faced miserable psycho hose beast woman as Lady Stafford. To be fair, Margaret Beaufort probably was, but that is the only character that actress can bloody do.

So deeply frustrating series to watch as an "amateur historian" and as a general viewer, deeply frustrating because there's no depth to the history so they don't know who is who and why they are doing things.

I'm getting fed up with people at work and Madame_Furie keeping asking me "who is that, and why are they doing that, and what happened there?" I wish they'd stop bloody watching it. I wish I would too ;)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ You have to blame Philippa Gregory just as much as, if not more than, the BBC when it comes to the shallowness of the actual history involved. Her novels are historical fiction, with more emphasis on the second word of the genre.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, agreed, but they still had the opportunity to explain things better and it's no excuse for the piss poor quality of the costume and settings.

Game of Thrones is more historically accurate :lol:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Walking Dead season 4 is starting soon 13th Oct USA, 18th Oct UK.
I'm hoping they can take the series back to the way it was in season 1, more on the danger of the walkers rather than other humans. I felt season 3 was too drawn out with Woodbury and the walkers were just a backstory.
In other news, Family Guy's latest season is fantastic. Some episodes have been hilarious.
Finally, Supernatural Season 9 premiered in the US recently, will be a while until it hits the UK though. One of my fave series, will be a shame when it draws to a close in season 10.

Pierre

Strata Poster
The Revolution will be Televised.

BBC Three.

iplayer it - first series was awesome, second series has picked up exactly where first left off.

peep

CF Legend
The new season of the Mentalist has started <3 It's been sooooooooooooooo good, can't wait to finally know who Red John is.

I've just started watching season 4 of Community as well and it's been pretty funny.