What's new

The Thorpe reliability thread - 2009 edition.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, I know that pretty much everyone at the live has experienced this issue. However, to save the live topic from getting bogged down in discussions about it, I thought it best to keep it in a different topic, and to leave the Live topic filled with just the more positive experiences :)

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Rides down today, Mon 16th May:

Logger's Leap
Tidal Wave
Stealth
Slammer

Looks like Saw is working. Water rides are down, maybe because of cost? And Stealth hasn't launched once this season. Slammer is still armless.

Ollie

CF Legend
Rides that were down on Saturday...

ALL OF THEM!!!

Except:
Inferno
Det
Tidal Wave
X
Fish

Ben

CF Legend
^Even Inferno was only on one train a lot of the day!

That's why the queue disappeared, because they put the second one which ate the horrid queue caused by only having one!

peep

CF Legend
Ollie there were more rides than that open.

Other rides open on Sat were:

Teacups
Zodiac
Vortex
Quantum (I think)
Rush (down for about an hour)
Collosus (down for only a little bit)
Rocky Express (closed early)
Train (engine failure after a couple of hours in operation)
Depth Charge
Octopus garden

Sounds like Saw has been open for most of today but its also had a few problems

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Its pathetic to be honest.

How can a park have the same problems, every year and not actually think about doing something about it?

I was actually looking forward to my visit to Thorpe in two weeks, but now I've seen all the reports on here and TTF about the ride downtime, I am more concerned and expectant than excited about the trip.

marc

CF Legend
It did open people from cf have been on it today, its been open every day I have not been there lol

Emmett

Giga Poster
^Hope you are not planning to go on Friday then Marc. You must be jinxed :lol: .

Also someone on the Thorpe Mania site wrote this afternoon:-

'I have just got back from TP - SAW has been running fine with only one delay that I noticed (which only lasted about 10 minutes) great ride hopefully it stays open now!'

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
I saw the topic and thoguht, i wonder why thats there :roll: ... :lol: .

I cant really comment as ive never been but from what ive seen on these forums and what ive heard, thorpe is shocking at reliabilty. I mean your new ride not even working all opening day... :shock:

spicy

Giga Poster
What has everyone learnt? Don't do to Thorpe on opening day :wink:

Although this year does seem exceptionally bad.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I'll basically re-state what I said in the CF Live thread.

Thorpe's reliability is abysmal. I've been to that park three times, and on every occasion there have been multiple breakdowns, rides opening late, and big queues for the rides that are running.

I like to think that I'm generally fair to parks, so I'll say straight up - breakdowns are a fact of life, and I accept that if I'm unlucky, there may be a couple of rides at a park that are only working intermittently when I visit. There may even be a couple of rides that are down for the entire day if I'm really unlucky.

Thorpe is a different ball game completely. I now expect something to break down every time I visit. I consider myself lucky if a major ride isn't out of action all day. This is simply unacceptable when it costs me a small fortune to visit the park. Hell, travel and accommodation costs aside, the park already has one of the highest ticket prices in the UK.

I'll accept that the problems with SAW weren't necessarily the park's fault, but the blame for all of the other broken attractions can be laid squarely at the feet of the park management team. They've had the entire off-season to get things sorted, they know the problems exist with the rides (as they've broken often enough) - why are they not dedicating time and money to fixing the rides properly, and ensuring that they are actually in a fit state to run?

I suspect the short version is, it requires money and the park don't want to spend it. At the moment, they're not getting penalized for their complete lack of concern for their visitors. If rides break and people have a terrible day, the park isn't out of pocket - they just give out a few fast track tickets and/or replacement park entry tickets at zero cost to themselves and everything is OK. As I suspect much of their demographic is occasional visitors from the London area, I many people probably assume that they've been unlucky if they don't get to ride everything, and then come back at a later date to ride the rides that they missed the first time around.

Note all the media hype about SAW on the news before it opened. Note the complete lack of reporting about how everything went horribly wrong this weekend. The general public are probably blissfully unaware of how terrible Thorpe's reliability record is. We've all visited often enough to know better.

The sad thing is, I actually quite like the park itself. Thorpe Park has some pretty good rides. I just find it unacceptable that if I travel several hundred miles for a day out at Thorpe, I now expect to have a terrible day because I expect at least one of their major rides to be unavailable. Where's the incentive for me to visit the park (and bring friends who don't have annual passes with me) again?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Spicy said:
What has everyone learnt? Don't do to Thorpe on opening day

We shouldn't have to think like that though, and the general public sure as hell won't see it that way. It's a disgrace, pure and simple. Do Thorpe give a ****? Probably not, and they bloody well should.

Saw is open :)! Why should that feel like a privilege? Yes, rides have teething problems, but those should be anticipated, and everything else should in 100% tip-top condition to allow for that.

Sorry, but they don't deserve to have excuses made for them anymore. Piss poor.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
I agree with everything said.

I think that they can almost "think" they can get away with it by giving out these free tickets. But it just shouldn't happen anywhere near enough as it does.

You can tell that they don't care also by the fact that not a single member of staff said sorry to us on the Media Day. If they are going to run the park in such a way, they should at least take responsibility for their actions.

Im really looking froward to the reply to the e-mail which i sent them the other day. If its anything like the one i received from them at the very beginning of the season, it should be good...

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
divvie_dave said:
Im really looking froward to the reply to the e-mail which i sent them the other day. If its anything like the one i received from them at the very beginning of the season, it should be good...

Oh! What's the email address! Need to inform them of how I felt when we were treated so poorly on Media Day :p

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
The way i did it was to e-mail Merlin directly... who then pass on your email to Thorpe VERY quickly.

So, just go to the Merlin website... Contact Us, and then thats it :)