Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Same as above, but more often than not they are twats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are scum, I hate them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sam

Giga Poster
Yes... The Police, Her Majesty's force, The Old Bill, The bacon squad, The filth.... what have you.

What do you think of them? Do you respect them? Do you hate them?

I used to like them, I used to respect them.... and in some circumstances I still do, they are just people and they are just doing a job.

But alot of them let the power go to their heads.... the other day I was driving down the road I live on and there was a 4x4 police car wanting to turn right out of a junction onto the road I was on (the way I was going) the car infront of me slowed down to turn off to the left and so I braked too... only down to about 25mph or so and was not intending to stop but of course Mr Policeman thought that meant he could pull out in front of me and force me to stop.... and he did but was I **** stopping.... I made him wait in the middle of the road.... Why should I do an emergency stop to let him out? What annoys me is the look he gave me.... as if I'd just done something wrong- when it was him who'd pulled clean out in front of me! I was expecting the old blue lights to come on to pull me over and get a bollocking.... but they didn't. He knew he was in the wrong. (Obvisouly if he had had his blue lights on in the first place I would have let him out.... even if I would have had to do an emergency stop.... I'm not a ****, I do give way to any authority vehical if it has its blue lights on).

Then there is the issue of the speed guns. Every day in Bordon there is a police van and 3 police officers speed gunning cars through the 30mph limit they have there..... the fact that the limit is a joke only makes matters worse.... it isn't a resedential area nor a busy high street... the road is long, sraight and wide yet they still insist on punishing people for doing over 30mph.... it's a joke. Why don't they leave the road alone and go and solve some real crimes?.... And to make things a laughing matter, coming into a 30 limit the other day off a dual carriage way I was still doing 70.... until my mate pointed out there was a police speed gun van in the lay-by literally JUST into the speed limit.... the bastards- no safety issue, just a way to gain money. I went through it at 65 (which, in theory if I'd been gunned would have been my license gone) but to my releaf the useless bastards were at the burger van they'd parked next to scoffing down kebabs and cans of coke.... all courtesy of tax payers money.

The Police service should be good.... and they should get respect.... but can they complain that they are disliked when they so often act like such power mad, useless twats?

peep

CF Legend
That sounds a bit stupid about the car pulling out.

I respect the police like everyone should but I do agree that they push their authority too much with matters like you've pointed out.

Snoo

The Legend
Sam said:
The Police service should be good.... and they should get respect.... but can they complain that they are disliked when they so often act like such power mad, useless twats?

Pretty much.

Lain

Giga Poster
They're alright.

"Message in a Bottle" is a good song, but "I'll be Watching You" is a lame song about a stalker, and Sting is a knob.

Yeah, they definately let the power get to their heads, and it's funny this topic should come up, as I was thinking about this at the bus stop the other day when a policeman decided to turn the sirens on at a red light, go through the red light, and then turn their sirens off.

On other occassions, I've witnessed them speeding and whatnot, which is kind of annoying since they can punish anybody for that sort of thing, yet nobody can punish them.

Some police are good though. There was one last year who, while off duty, tried to chase a bunch of kids who were selling drugs, and in turn got shot and killed.

So, they're not all bad, but the ones who let power get to their head and they drive like reckless idiots, then yeah, they're annoying.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Jesus Christ Lain, that would be funny if it was the first time someone had said that, but I've seen the same reply at least three times ON THIS FORUM alone...

Lain isn't funny.

Lain

Giga Poster
Martyn said:
Jesus Christ Lain, that would be funny if it was the first time someone had said that, but I've seen the same reply at least three times ON THIS FORUM alone...

Lain isn't funny.

You're just jealous because I beat you to it. :p

A

Anonymous

They're twats. Yeah, I respect the murder investigation teams, and the ones who actually stop crime that I'd rather live without, but your everyday police officer is just some **** who pisses more people off in a day than he's helped in his life.

Rave busting police especially....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fizZOVYSKVE
n.b. you only see about 10% of the police there... I think the figure is 100.

Someone on Youtube wrote said:
Imagine they put that sort of effort into dealing with muggers, paedophiles, and terrorists eh? Still, reckon people dancing to music is always a much bigger threat to law and order. What a joke.

And..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/5294644.stm

Too many of the police are ****s, who don't deal with any actual crime, think of themselves as heroes and believe that they should be given the utmost respect, though they've done nothing to deserve it, except maybe take some kid's cigarette, or arrest people for loitering with intent, or beat a drunk person with a baton because they're too ****ed to fight back.

David

Mega Poster
Some are okay but some are just twats.
When I am football, they seem to always pick on us, despite the fact the away fans are the ones being lairy. Plus they obscure the view of the game.

Still suppose it is their job.

kir

Hyper Poster
They're OK. I can't say much else about them. Sometimes they're twats, I've been stopped with friends before at night, and I have to think to myself, when there are murders and missing people going on in my town, why the **** are they stopping a group of reasonably harmless teenagers?! They should stay inside and work on real cases! :lol:

So yeah, they do pointless stuff, but they're for the best really.

A

Anonymous

meh! they can be ok but somtimes twats really anoying sometimes.

Rach

Giga Poster
They do their job ok, when something happened to my family which invloved priavte stuff. The police were very helpful and informative.

But saying that, some are twats, they think that they are so high in power general rules don't apply to them.

I'll go for the 2nd option.

Steven

Giga Poster
What more can I say they are police.

EDIT - You could say a lot more. That's the whole point of asking people's opinions. Thanks for the spam. Gavin.

Mike

Giga Poster
If the police actually did they're jobs and catch people doing the real crimes, then I'ld be happy about them.

However, everyday you seem to hear about someone being murdered, something being stolen and illegal activities being done...And nothing is ever done about them.

So, blatantely, the police are only doing their jobs properly in very few cases and most of the times doing pointless activities just to get money such as speed-cameraing.

i'll go with the third option on this one.

Lain

Giga Poster
Well, as much as alot of people bash them, if the police weren't there, there'd be a heck of a lot more crime, violence, thuggery, etc etc.

They may not do the best job possible, but I'm sure as hell glad they are there.

Smithy

Strata Poster
We had some stuck up copper in his Range Rover the other day pull out onto the wrong side of the road to pass, easily doing 60 on a 30, then cutting in sharp before over running his cut off for the round a bout. Which he proceeded to speed around, and then leave before speeding off again.

Blue lights? None.

What makes it worse is that there was no way that he could see if a car was leaving the roundabout at the junction he was driving head on towards, as we couldn't from the left hand lane.

That, and the fact that they take ages to respond for vital things, such as buglaries in progress, huge fights etc.... in my communicty. But quite frequently they are set up with their mobile speed cameras, earning a bit more money.

It's actually been proven that they don't save as many lives as claimed, and in some cases cause more crashs, what with people suddenly having to break to reach a ridiculous lower limit, such as Sam stated.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Lain said:
Martyn said:

Lain isn't funny.

You're just jealous because I beat you to it. :p

Unfortunately, I beat you to it in the last Police topic, and even I didn't think it was funny all those months ago, I just did it because it was expected of me :p

I think that's four of us ruined Sam's topic now ;)

Okay, serious time :)

The problems most people have brought to light here aren't actually anything to do with the Police themselves. They're all to do with Government legislation, and county council budgeting.

The government want everything brought down to targets, and to make the police forces more self sufficient. At the same time, they have an over-burdened criminal justice system which is falling apart.

They have to:

1. Make the police cost them less.
2. Relieve the massive problems with the prisons, courts, etc.
3. Make people feel that they are safe.

So, they tell the local government the same, who come up with great plans to solve these three issues like:

1. Employ more traffic officers, as they bring in a bigger return on investment.
2. Write off any crimes where they know they've little chance of catching who did it. Don't even send out a bobby, just give the person on the other end of the phone a crime reference for their insurance company.
3. Put a school kid in a yellow jacket on a bike to ride around the estates, talking to the youths about why they're drinking on the street corners, or breaking things or whatever, but never actually doing anything about it (see point 2 above).

I'm quite sure that there are individual cops out there who are arrogant and abuse their powers. However, the biggest issues they face is the way in which they're employed by the local government.

Complaining that the police suck because there are so many traffic cops out there, is like complaining that Tesco employ too many till staff to take your money, but the shelf stackers are fine, because they don't. Tesco (and local government), want to make as much money as they can, so they invest in making sure they have as many till staff (traffic cops) as possible ready to grab your wonga.

I'm not saying it's right (far from it), but I'm just saying it's not the police forces fault. They're not grabbing PC Plod off the beat and dumping him into a car. You need to be trained specifically to become traffic police. It's purely that government employ more traffic police because they see profit coming from them!