What's new

The Perfect Coaster

Sandman

Giga Poster
I've been sitting here like an absolute loser for the past hour trying to work out what I'd consider the 'perfect' coaster. I'm talking about a coaster that is totally flawless from start to finish. I honestly can't make my mind up about what that'd be. I don't think I've experienced enough coaster diversity to really pinpoint my own perfect coaster. But I'd probably go for a large hyper/giga that is partly enclosed and features large drops, immense airtime and speed with maybe 2 or 3 surprise inversions for good measure. Theming wise, can't narrow it down but I'd probably enjoy something ethereal and fantasy, which would tie into some very good themed set-pieces in the indoor sections.

Anyway, enough of my very loose idea. What do you visualize as the 'perfect' coaster? Wood or steel? Any theme? Or, does the perfect coaster already exist in your eyes?

I'd love to know what it would take to impress you to the point where you literally can't fault a single aspect of the coaster!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Honestly, I think it's Helix. It really has the full package- speed, intensity, inversions, airtime, length, terrain, theming, and one of the best soundtracks ever.

Lightning Rod does seem pretty amazing, but Helix seems to be slightly ahead.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Oh the ones I've ridden, only Nemesis.

It's not my favorite, but there's nothing I'd change about it. The inversions are perfect, the length is just right (I know others think it's short, but it's good enough for me), the theming/interaction is excellent, it's smooth, and the intensity is best thing about it. 10/10 ride there.

I can take any other coaster in my Top 10 and still come up with little nit picky things that I would change… i.e. Skyrush could use better restraints, Boulder Dash can be a bit rough, Beast's pacing and day/night rides are inconsistent, Millennium Force is a bit drawn out, Maverick has a noticeable trim… etc.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Helix with Taron's launches and Blue Fire's inline twist. That would be my dream coaster.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Helix doubled, 2 more launches and a layout that sprawls even further along the hill, more of those gorgeous airtime hills that look and feel like they are going to send you flying halfway across Gothenburg. From a non rider perspective LR looks incredible but the ride time and length are no match for Helix, one of the most important factors in my top rides.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's somewhere between Lightning Rod and Helix, I think.

I've never ridden a coaster as crazy as Lightning Rod. It's just so intense, fast, massive and loaded with forces. Whilst I've no doubt Helix is amazing, there's no way the ride feels as amazing as Lightning Rod. No ride does. Lightning Rod is incredible.

HOWEVER, Lightning Rod is fairly short. It works well in its current form, but it wouldn't be hard to imagine a bit more forest interaction and stuff at the end. This is where Helix comes in. It's got so much going on during it's layout, with a long layout and multiple launches, that it beats Lightning Rod in that respect.

Combine the two? Maybe a multi-launch terrain RMC? The length of Helix, but the layout style of Lightning Rod. Oh, and a quad-down... it has to have a quad-down.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
If B&M had built X2, I could see that getting my vote.
Man, that would have been awesome!

Snoo

The Legend
Hixee said:
It's somewhere between Lightning Rod and Helix, I think.

I've never ridden a coaster as crazy as Lightning Rod. It's just so intense, fast, massive and loaded with forces. Whilst I've no doubt Helix is amazing, there's no way the ride feels as amazing as Lightning Rod. No ride does. Lightning Rod is incredible.

HOWEVER, Lightning Rod is fairly short. It works well in its current form, but it wouldn't be hard to imagine a bit more forest interaction and stuff at the end. This is where Helix comes in. It's got so much going on during it's layout, with a long layout and multiple launches, that it beats Lightning Rod in that respect.

Combine the two? Maybe a multi-launch terrain RMC? The length of Helix, but the layout style of Lightning Rod. Oh, and a quad-down... it has to have a quad-down.

This guy right here. A longer Lightning Rod? I'm sold already. And holy sweet baby jesus the quad down. I'm semi erect just thinking about it. And at night? Ok.. I need to go back to Dollywood.

andrus

Giga Poster
Hixee said:
Whilst I've no doubt Helix is amazing, there's no way the ride feels as amazing as Lightning Rod.
This is the way I see it too! Not with these exact coasters; but for me there's no one perfect coaster. Sure, on paper Helix and Wildfire look like candidates to be perfect, and it's hard to find a flaw in any of the two coaster layouts. But still none of them are even close to my top coasters!

No; I prefer wild, crazy and original expaeriences over perfect rides!

There's a ton of things I would change with Skyrush (restraints, length, variation), Intimidator 305 (restraints, trim, more airtime) and X2 (smoothnes, slow curve, length). But I still rate them a lot higher than any of Helix and Wildfire!!

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Helix is the closest thus far in my eyes, but there are still possible improvements. It has some strong negative Gs, some good lateral forces and positive Gs, as well as a couple launched (albeit weak ones), great terrain use, hangtime, snappy inversions, great pacing, a long ride... Helix really has it all.

Another ride that comes to mind is Maverick (for similar reasons). Other than that I wouldn't say there's any ride without definite flaws. Wildfire doesn't have great pacing, Lightning Rod and Skyrush have short ride time, Superman The Ride could do a better job with laterals and have better restraints, and the list goes on.

Sythe

Mega Poster
A longer version of I305 but with Skyrush restraints and a 80mph inversion

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

ukthemeparkfan

Roller Poster
something along the lines of baron 1898 or The Flying Dutchman that are as much about the experience as the coaster them selves.