What's new

The Original and Best

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Reading the Blue Fire, Seriously? topic, some CFers are jumping to the coasters defence because it was the first of its kind, a prototype, the original, whatever you want to call it.

It's always exciting when a new roller coaster type opens. It's the best thing EVER! Sooner or later, another one of the same type comes along which supersedes the original in every way thrillable (I made that word up!). A popular choice here might be Oblivion at Alton Towers was trumped by SkeiKra. Did Raptor at Gardaland stay the best B&M Wing Coaster when Swarm opened?

Can you think of an original coaster of its kind that is still broadly considered to be the best?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Atlantis Adventure! ;)

I am at a challenge for an original and still best - designed obsolescence is inherent in the amusement park industry, as companies, amusement parks, etc. all strive towards building bigger, better roller coaster styles as time goes forward. An original that beats it's successors; well that's a failed roller coaster concept then. :p

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
An original that beats it's predecessors; well that's a failed roller coaster concept then.
True, true, very true. Don't your mean successors? That aside, there is one example I can think of without doing reserach and I'm quite surprised that you out of all people didn't get it...

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Not quite the first, but Nemesis was one of the earliest B&M inverted coasters and is still considered by many/most to be the best of them, even though many much larger ones have since opened.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes, thanks, but I'm looking for originals, as in first, not earlies. Sorry to be pedantic.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
True, true, very true. Don't your mean successors? That aside, there is one example I can think of without doing reserach and I'm quite surprised that you out of all people didn't get it...
Time is a flat circle.

I am drawing a genuine blank... Maverick arguably? Though the "blitz" coaster always felt a mashup of other coaster types, and not it's own, true denomination.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
As I haven't been on the others, I'm not sure, but X2 is the only one that truly springs to mind.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Snoo

The Legend
Depending on who you talk to, Outlaw Run is considered one of the best RMC topper tracks out there, even with (IMO) better rides such as Lightning Rod, Wildfire, and Goliath existing. Of course.. those people typically haven't been on the other three. I may be in the very extreme minority tho.

The good news is I still feel it's a fantastic roller coaster, even though the successors have supplanted it personally.

Oblivion is my favourite dive coaster and I know a lot of people feel the same way, so I would have to say that.

I was going to say Colossos, potentially, but I don't know if it would outdo the likes of T-Express, so I can't say for certain.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I've heard the first green launched B&M Sit-Down Multilooper named "The Incredible Hulk" on Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure was better received than the second green launched B&M Sit-Down Multilooper named "The Incredible Hulk" on Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Pulsar is clearly the best Mack Power Splash ;)

This is actually a decent topic because I'm actually struggling to find some contenders. Will come back later.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Magnum is the best Arrow hyper.

*disclaimer - not done Desperado

BBH

Giga Poster
I mean, I think Outlaw run is ever so slightly, just barely, marginally better than Goliath.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
As I haven't been on the others, I'm not sure, but X2 is the only one that truly springs to mind.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
But there's Dodonpa Eejanaika! I kept coming up with rides, but then immediately thought of their next of kin. It's tough!

Last edited: