What's new

The Next World Record To Be Broken?

The Next World Record To Be Broken?

• Total voters

spicy

Giga Poster
Which World record do you be expect to be broken next?

Will Cedar Point extend TTD during it's refurb to claim the height record?

Is Falcon's Flight in Saudi Arabia actually going to happen and take height, speed and length World records?

Will a park ever want to build a coaster with more inversions than The Smiler?

Let me know what you think..

Sandman

Giga Poster
I've gone for speed by process of elimination.

Height - I don't see this moving any time soon although I reckon it could be done within the decade.

Length - I can't imagine Steel Dragon's 8000+ ft being topped, and if it was then I think this would be done in China or UAE, again, much further down the line.

Angle of drop - This is a bit of a naff record and I don't necessarily see anyone aiming for it, although it could be done. There was a phase where this was seen as a marketable record, but that seems to have passed.

Inversions - Again, it'll take a lot to knock this one. The Smiler is just a perpetual inversion machine designed specifically to cram in as many as possible. Do I see a manufacturer doing this again anytime soon? Nah.

Speed on the other hand is very marketable and does not necessarily require an insane height or length to be achieved. It's the best record to break, other than height in my opinion. That's why I'd hedge my bet on this one being broken sooner than others.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
It’s gonna be height, speed, and length all in one when Falcon’s Flight opens up. If TTD refurb ends up being a record breaker then it will be height for a year until FF opens.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Vote for Length, cowards.
Length is the record that seems the most untouchable at the moment. Three of history's five longest coasters are defunct and have been demolished today. Only two coasters longer than 2000 meters have been built after the year 2000, out of 9 coasters total. That new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster at Epcot is the third longest coaster built in the world since 2006 (not counting Steel Vengeance, whose length is largely a consequence of following Mean Streak's old layout). Most of the longest coasters out there are good ol' Hypercoasters and Giga coasters, but even when those are built nowadays, they tend to be on the shorter side compared to historical ones like Fujiyama or Desperado. Even Orion at King's Island, which is only a smidge shorter than Steel Dragon 2000 height-wise, is only two-thirds its length. It's actually much shorter than Gao at Greenland, which is less than half Orion's height. I guess it has to do with cost of materials. A shorter coaster is just cheaper to manufacture and set up, which makes going for the length record very expensive and thus unappealing.

That being said, Formula Rossa came quite close to taking the length record, unofficially clocking in at 2120-2150 meters according to this thread, which makes it the third longest coaster currently in operation, and the fifth- or sixth-longest ever (it'd have to reach the upper limit of that interval to surpass Son of Beast). If anybody were to commission a similar coaster to break the speed record, maybe the length record would also be claimed at the same time.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Length is the record that seems the most untouchable at the moment. Three of history's five longest coasters are defunct and have been demolished today. Only two coasters longer than 2000 meters have been built after the year 2000, out of 9 coasters total. That new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster at Epcot is the third longest coaster built in the world since 2006 (not counting Steel Vengeance, whose length is largely a consequence of following Mean Streak's old layout). Most of the longest coasters out there are good ol' Hypercoasters and Giga coasters, but even when those are built nowadays, they tend to be on the shorter side compared to historical ones like Fujiyama or Desperado. Even Orion at King's Island, which is only a smidge shorter than Steel Dragon 2000 height-wise, is only two-thirds its length. It's actually much shorter than Gao at Greenland, which is less than half Orion's height. I guess it has to do with cost of materials. A shorter coaster is just cheaper to manufacture and set up, which makes going for the length record very expensive and thus unappealing.

That being said, Formula Rossa came quite close to taking the length record, unofficially clocking in at 2120-2150 meters according to this thread, which makes it the third longest coaster currently in operation, and the fifth- or sixth-longest ever (it'd have to reach the upper limit of that interval to surpass Son of Beast). If anybody were to commission a similar coaster to break the speed record, maybe the length record would also be claimed at the same time.
I had no idea Guardians was that long, it didn't feel nearly as long as say, Taron, or Abyssus. I mean, the ride time was long, but much of that ride is at a snails pace, so I had no idea it was traversing so much track. In fact, I see the length listed in various places, and still can't quite believe it.

Foxstar1387

Roller Poster
What parks would possibly build a 15 or 16 inversion coaster. I cant see many if any really not for awhile anyways. Maybe pre 08 id have said a Six Flags park. But not really sure that would be on the radar now. Maybe Cedar Point. Honestly i can only see another Merlin park taking it if it was ever on the cards

VelociCoasterBITW

Roller Poster
I had no idea Guardians was that long, it didn't feel nearly as long as say, Taron, or Abyssus. I mean, the ride time was long, but much of that ride is at a snails pace, so I had no idea it was traversing so much track. In fact, I see the length listed in various places, and still can't quite believe it.
VelociCoaster felt longer than guardians.