What's new

The most irritating theme park visit ever

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
It's 6:30am. I'm flying home from Barcelona. I have laryngitis, my throat feels like a porcupine. The man sat next to me has just started playing a game on his phone at full volume with no headphones. I put in my earplugs for the fourteenth time this weekend and sigh.

It's time to talk about PortAventura Halloween. Question is, can I recount the last few days without exploding in a ball of stress?

IMG_20221010_135231_800.jpg

It began at hotel check in. What began, you ask? The constant annoyance, frustration and irritation. We showed our booking details and the staff member directed us to the wrong hotel car park. Wow...we're so close...to the hotel we didn't book. But there was nowhere else to park apparently.

Details for my booking at Hotel Caribe clearly stated "pre paid online" but the man at reception refused and decided to charge me twice. Resulting in a long, frustrating discussion where I had to pull up my bank statements from months ago to show I had already paid for the reservation. This was eating into valuable park time. But eventually it got sorted.

By the time we stepped into PortAventura, I was already in a bad mood. Then we saw the queue times and exchanged looks of horror. The only ride that didn't have a massive queue was Sesame Street Mission - boasting a tolerable 30 mins. Sorry Shambhala, I guess we've got a Cookie Monster to catch first.

The noisy indoor cattle pen for Sesame Street simply did not move. For every step forward, 4 people would push in front of you. I've never seen so much queue jumping in a park ever. Then ride broke down. Finally we got to the front of the queue. Then just stood still for ages as the staff let an endless stream of fast track people on. Are the going to take from the normal queue anytime soon? Nope. 4 people have just walked up fast track. Then some more. Then some more. It was immensely frustrating and the ride is nothing special.

By the time we boarded the ride I was too annoyed to even care about the Cookie Monster.

You know what will make us feel better? A B+M Hyper! We joined the single rider queue as the main queue was 2 hours long (which we all know would actually be 3 hours once you account for all the people cutting in)

Screenshot_20221014-201933_Gallery.jpg

Wow, this single rider line is slow. Wow, there's so many empty seats on the trains. Every single train that pulled into the station had at least one empty seat. It was painful to watch the operations. Staff only began filling the airgates once the train was back in the station. You could see loads of spaces for single riders, but the staff just weren't paying attention to take from the single rider queue.

As we waited and waited in the station, it got worse. Staff were failing to fill ENTIRE ROWS on the trains in time, so a ride with a 2 hour standby queue was going round with empty rows.

Finally, I got on row 3 via single rider but sadly Shambhala was running very badly that day. Such little airtime, very sluggish. I hate to say it, because I love B+M hypers, but I was actually bored as the train crawled over those massive hills. One of the worst hyper rides I've ever had. It pains me how inconsistent Shambhala is.

PortAventura was open til midnight that day for Halloween. Out friends who were also in the park frantically called us when we got off Shambhala. "The Horror mazes shut really early, we need to do them all right now." Where was this important info communicated? On tiny little A boards outside the mazes themselves (which we hadn't walked passed yet as we had no idea where they were)

We had all pre-booked our €30 Halloween Passports online. Had our friends not seen that small sign outside a maze, we probably wouldn't have been able to do them in time. When a park shuts at midnight for Halloween, you kind of assume the haunts will be open beyond 6pm, no?

Joined the queue for the Mayan-themed maze: Apocalypsis Maya (which takes place in Temple Du Feugo) The queue didn't look to bad, then we realised: this is just the queue to get into the queue. Yep. That's right. You queue to get into the main queue for the maze. Most of the maze was outdoors, so obviously it made total sense to NOT have the maze open at night when it would actually look cool in the dark.

How was the maze? It was mostly just people banging metal sticks on metal bins and screaming in your ear with bad make up. I put my ear plugs in because it was so earritating. There were a few cool jump scares but overall it was a weak attraction. Also, the maze featured a person at the end with a chainsaw? I didn't realise they had chainsaws in Mayan times!

Rush rush rush over to next maze: La Muerta Viva. Queue to join queue. Queue. People push in front. Get inside maze to be greeted by actors banging metal sticks on metal kegs and screaming in your ear. Earplugs back in again! I got zero jump scares in this one and the decor inside looked tacky. Of course, there was an actor with a chainsaw at the end. Day of the Dead is famously known for it's chainsaws after all.

Rush over to next maze. Queue to join queue. People push in front. Now, this maze was called Horrock in Texas and it was themed to hard rock / metal musicians. I am a metal musician. Imagine going in a horror maze themed to what you actually do. I found the whole thing absolutely hilarious, especially the part "in the studio" where the sound engineer leaps out at you. The maze was still pretty rubbish but at least this one made me laugh.

Screenshot_20221014-201956_Gallery.jpg

Dashed over to another maze: Rec Experience. Oh. It's closed. It closed earlier than the others but there was no way of knowing this without walking passed the attraction and seeing the small A-board sign.

Oh well, I'm hungry, it's 6pm, let's eat. Wait, we can't. They've closed all the restaurants. So unless you want candyfloss or ice cream for dinner, you have zero options for a proper meal right now. We were very very frustrated by this point. With restaurants stated to re-open at 7:30pm, we tried to watch the Vampire show. Joined the queue for the show. People push in front. Eventually get to front of queue. "You need a reservation" What?! Turns out, there was a tiny A board with a tiny QR code that was obscured BY THE QUEUE so we couldn't make a reservation for the show.

We started laughing at what could go wrong next. We were having such a bad time that we decided to make it even worse by riding Stampeda. This ride will destroy your spine. Absolutely horrendous stuff. Totally not worth it.

Can we eat now? Yes! Restaurants have re-opened. I've never been impressed by PAs food before, but the pumpkin soup and ribs we had in the Western area were tasty.

Okay, it's now 8pm. We've been in the park all day. We've ridden THREE rides and been in three mazes. We had booked to do the special Halloween attraction that takes place inside the entire water park - La Isla Maldita. "Never done before!" "First in Europe!" "Over 100 actors!" boasted the poster. Sounds cool right?

We headed to the water park entrance. Oh. That's not the entrance they are using for this. Silly us! Using the entrance for the Water Park, for the attraction that takes place in the water park would have made way too much sense.

Headed back in the main park, found the massive queue. Wait, that was just a queue to join the queue. People kept pushing in front, over and over again. Finally we got in the water park, only to join another queue. How much longer can this be?! We couldn't see the end of the queue. After an hour, Alex said "I'm going to check how long this queue is" - a minute later he reappeared shaking his head. "Take a look for yourself"

I hopped over the barrier and turned the corner. My heart sank. It was cattle pen after cattle pen after cattle pen. The line was at least twice the size of the line we had already waited in and that had taken an hour so far. Our options were: leave queue, sack off the attraction, having wasted over an hour waiting and wasting the €12 it cost. Or pay €10 each for fast track. We shelled out for fast track. I was already feeling bitter about the experience by this point.

It was the best Halloween attraction at PortAventura, but that isn't exactly high praise. The attraction is a lengthy mixture between scare zone and maze, with some inventive bits like utilising the wave pool and having actors in the water on jet skis. I'd say La Isla Maldita was 30% cool ideas, 70% same old tropes. Chainsaws? Check. People banging metal bins? Check. (Earplugs back in) Asylum room? Check. Hospital room? Check. Zombie room? Check. It felt like the attraction had no story and was just a bunch of typical maze things thrown together. There was one room full of mannequins that did freak me out though.

But once again, I felt the attraction was ruined before it even began for me, by the bitterness I was feeling having queued for an hour only to resort to buying fastrack ONTOP of the €12 upcharge for the attraction itself.

We rushed back into PortAventura desperate for some night rides and joined the queue for Hurukan Condor. Another horrible cattle pen, lots of people smoking weed in the queue, very very noisy. I shoved my earplugs back in and a few more people cut in front of us in the queue, of course.

Thankfully, we got the sit down side of this massive drop tower. Looking out over the park at night was cool, especially with Shambhala going round. The drop goes on forever. A very good ride, my favourite of the trip.

IMG_20221010_000326_273.jpg

Finished up with a nightride on Shambhala, the single rider queue was less painful this time - because guests were taking it into their own hands, jumping in when they saw a space and not waiting to be let through by the staff.

IMG_20221008_232935_202.jpg

We watched the Halloween night parade which had a fantastic catchy soundtrack. Everyone sat down to watch it which was nice. The parade itself was pretty bare bones, featuring Shrek and a few Sesame Street characters on carts decorated with spiders. Don't know about you, but Shrek isn't exactly who pops into my mind when I think of Halloween.

Next up was the Halloween Lake Show. This featured fireworks, floats and people with water jet packs. It was pretty cool but there was an issue with the audio so we just got drum tracks playing, rather than the full soundtrack.

By the time we left PortAventura, it was nearly 1am. We had spent 12 hours on park and ridden 5 rides, and that was using single rider queues.

The next day we went to Ferrari Land. Red Force was advertised as 1hour 50 wait. The queue ended up taking 3 hours. THREE HOURS. Honesty I wouldn't have bothered if we had known it would take that long.

Got to the ride station:
"How many?"
"Five"
Ride attendant puts Alex and I in the one free row at the back.
"There's five of us and we would like to ride together"
"No you two go here because it's very busy"
"Can we wait for the next train and ride together?"
"No, there's 2 of you"
"No, we're a group of five"
" You didn't tell me this"
"Yes we did"
"Well you have to split up and go here in the back"
"Can we wait for the next train instead?"
"No"
*some people push in front of us*
In the end Alex and Greig take the back seat on the first train.

The people who pushed in front go straight to front row with no questions asked.
I take my seat in the middle row. The lights to laugh go green. Ride haults immediately. Guy who's sat on front row has pulled put his phone to film. Argument begins where staff tell him he cannot do that.

Eventually we launch. Very rattly. Good drop. Not worth three hours and all the faff in the ride station though.

Managed to get a few more rides on Shambhala and Hurukan Condor on the Sunday. Shambhala was running better but it was still pretty gentle in terms of airtime. When it comes to the European B+M Hypers, Silver Star is still my favourite by a long way. It's just much more consistent.

On our way out of the park we got a night ride on Furious Baco. One of the weakest Intamin Hydraulic launches, I guess that's due to the lumbering heavy wing trains. The layout is rubbish, but diving in the trenches in the dark was cool.

Prior to this visit, I had been to PortAventura twice during their Christmas event and had a lovely time. It's much quieter in December, so the painful operations are less...painful. Of all the major parks in Europe, I wouldn't have chosen to go to PA for Halloween but I happened to be in Barcelona playing a show so it was easy to squeeze the visit in. It wasn't worth the frustration and stress to be honest. PortAventura Halloween was the most irritating park experience I've ever had. Would not recommend.

Last edited:

TilenB

Strata Poster
worst park i've been to. experienced all the same sort of issues. been to liseberg halloween today and it's night and day in terms of enjoyment.
I can second that! I visited the park for the first time yesterday as well and had a blast. Got tons of rides on all of their main coasters, though I didn't concern myself with the mazes too much. I did one, which was a bit of waste of time and rather went for some more night rides instead.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
And yet it was all so good on the 2019 Live. Sad to hear that it's all gone to sh*t.
3 hours for Red Force!! 😮

Yeah, that 2019 Live during their Xmas event was a million times better. Such a shame!

worst park i've been to. experienced all the same sort of issues. been to liseberg halloween today and it's night and day in terms of enjoyment.

Glad to hear you had a great time at Liseberg. I visited Liseberg in 2018 for Halloween and it was amazing!

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
It's honestly such a poorly run park. I went a few years ago for their halloween event and suffered the same thing with the waterpark maze, ended up buying the fast pass for it. I honestly can't believe they haven't gotten into trouble for the amount of tickets they sell for that thing verses the throughput.

The last time I went, I basically queue jumped Red Force. I went up the fasttrack queue until it gets to the point where the main queue split into the Single Rider (why do parks do this with their single rider queues?? It's so dumb!) and then hopped over the fence and walked straight onto the ride. Was it the most moral thing to do? Probably not, but got us on in 5 minutes rather than 2 1/2 hours.

Lofty

CF Legend
The park needs some major work for operations. It's becoming worse and worse every year, the problem is that they just rest on the laurels that they're going to have their visitors and they don't actually care about what those visitors are going to experience.

Their halloween attractions have always been a bit poor (minus La Mina Del Diablo... RIP!). The thing is, the Spanish maze experience is soooooo different from the UK, from the different ones I've been to, they all feel the same. Banging on metal, shouting, confusing scenes that do not match the theme of the maze etc. It's just a cultural difference - and I don't like it either.

Satanspropaganda

Mega Poster
This is the exact scenario I imagined happening at PA/had been warned about repeatedly when we visited last year, thankfully we picked two very dead days, even then we still suffered due to the lack of communication about opening times for food/mazes, which left us only doing half the mazes & going hungry on one day. They also don't communicate how to get to Hotel Gold River by public transport, which is ridiculous, we were left stranded in a car park with no info for nearly an hour. Their app and website both need serious work to make it an easier place to actually get what you paid for.

It's a shame Shambhala was running so badly though, that was my one major takeaway from our time there was how much fun we had on Shambhala! It does seem extremely hit and miss there sadly.

Hopefully the new coaster/investment may bring with it some improvements across the park with the spotlight being back on them, but I am not too hopeful. They do seem to be happy to just continue on as if nothing is broken, as they know they will get the tourism either way.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Shame to hear about this :(

I've only been here once (September 2019) and thankfully bought an express pass for my full time there, longest wait was probably 15 mins. It was obvious though how bad the main queues were and you could clearly see all the queue jumping going on. The main gripe I had with this place was how unfriendly some off the staff and ride operators were (I wonder if they just don't like us British tourists 😂 )

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Shame to hear about this :(

I've only been here once (September 2019) and thankfully bought an express pass for my full time there, longest wait was probably 15 mins. It was obvious though how bad the main queues were and you could clearly see all the queue jumping going on. The main gripe I had with this place was how unfriendly some off the staff and ride operators were (I wonder if they just don't like us British tourists 😂 )

It seems the only way to make PortAventura tolerable now is the buy the Express Pass and that just doesn't sit right with me.

It's a shame because my previous visits to the park weren't that bad.

Re: staff. If a theme park provides a bad experience for paying guests, one can only imagine how badly they treat their staff. I'm not surprised they're miserable.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I last went in 2017, and quite a few times before- i believe the park has always been plagued with frustrating operations. Even then fastpass felt very much mandatory to have any enjoyment- it could be a half hour for Shambhala but you're damn right there gonna empty the full fastrack queue in front of you to prolong any movement of the main queue peasants.

It is an overpowered, unbalanced, and broken system. Oh and Portaventura like to make their queuelines cattle pen central, humid, and as unbearable as possible. Oh that is not even accounting for the 1,000 people queue jumping you.

I really am sorry for your crappy visit- it is a great park with its coasters, theming, and shows. But god do Portaventura like to make everything frustrating.
PS: The staff are really rude, and the food sucks.

davidm

Strata Poster
Was out with one of my (non-goon*) pals last night and he had been to PA Mon/Tue this week (half term family trip thing) so I was telling him the tales of this experience. They had fastpass'd it and said everything was walk-on (for them) and 3h queues otherwise.

(* he might be a non-goon but they have also been to Cedar Point this year (with fastlane which cost a fortune for 4 of them))

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Oh No Serena :(

I’ve never done Portaventura without unlimited Express Pass. We’ve been 4 times, always in the summer, always very busy but always with express. It makes such a difference being able to marathon things, because, as you point out, they let express ride straight away. If the exit to Shambhala wasn’t the opposite side, you’d genuinely be able to get off and straight back on the same train with express, despite the 3 hour queue. This is how favourable they treat it. Not saying it’s right, but it’s certainly nice when you’ve got it!!!

I thought it was almost the rule that everybody, even goons, budgeted for express at this one park, (we were certainly warned to budget it in the first time we went.) It’s especially worthwhile when stopping onsite and the whole multi day trip’s express pass costs the same price as one day for an offsite guest! On our trips it usually works out at €10-20 per day when spread across the multiple days. (Although we haven’t been since 2019 so prices will have changed!)

I can’t imagine being stood in those horrible cattle pens, with the things we saw happening in them.

Is the rock maze an overlay for the year round one? The front looks similar. If it is, that maze isn’t terrible in it’s normal mode, it’s not great, but it’s worth a run through.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
As I'd never needed an Express Pass on my previous visits to PA, I didn't believe it was necessary. Plus, with Shambhala running that badly and Hurukan Condor not even included on the Express Pass - I still think it would have been a waste of money had I bought one. There's just not enough good rides at PA to justify the amount they charge for an Express Pass. And I'm not actually that fussed on marathoning rides anyway.

Personally, I feel quite strongly that you shouldn't have to buy fast passes just to make a park visit remotely tolerable. I'd rather save my money to spend on better parks with better rides (like Walibi Belgium) - parks where guest experience matters. PA treat their guests so badly, the last thing I want to do is give them more money. In fact, I'm simply just not going to go back there.

Yeah, Horrock was an overlay of the year-round maze. Intregued to see what it's normally like, the layover was absolutely hilarious (to me, at least)

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
As I'd never needed an Express Pass on my previous visits to PA, I didn't believe it was necessary. Plus, with Shambhala running that badly and Hurukan Condor not even included on the Express Pass - I still think it would have been a waste of money had I bought one. There's just not enough good rides at PA to justify the amount they charge for an Express Pass. And I'm not actually that fussed on marathoning rides anyway.

Personally, I feel quite strongly that you shouldn't have to buy fast passes just to make a park visit remotely tolerable. I'd rather save my money to spend on better parks with better rides (like Walibi Holland) - parks where guest experience matters. PA treat their guests so badly, the last thing I want to do is give them more money. In fact, I'm simply just not going to go back there.

Yeah, Horrock was an overlay of the year-round maze. Intregued to see what it's normally like, the layover was absolutely hilarious (to me, at least)
I can't remember the original maze that well, I seem to remember it was kind of wild west horror themed (despite being called Texas Horror or something similar, is Texas even part of the Wild West?) I remember thinking the theming was surprisingly decent. I was particularly surprised by the facade, which is why I recognised it in your pictures. The rooms were kind of like scenes from various different horror movies, similar to other Pasaje Del Terror attractions around the world. I concluded at the time that the maze was run by Pasaje Del Terror, who had attractions in Salou, Barcelona, Madrid and lots of other places. (unclear if linked to Blackpool 🤷‍♂️) Because it said Pasaje Del Terror on the vouchers, was separately ticketed, and followed a similar design... But it turns out the Spanish generally call their mazes 'Pasaje Del Terror,' so I could have been very, very, wrong.

One thing I do remember is being given a gift token on exiting, for 'surviving' it. Had to take the token to the gift shop opposite where we were given a pin... But that's about it. 🤷‍♂️ The only reason I remember that so vividly is because they could just as easily have given us the pin on exiting, I remember thinking, "well that's a novel way to get people to 'exit through the gift shop' without having to build a new gift shop." Sorry I can't remember much more, it's been a few years...

Like I said, I've never visited outside summer, and I've heard stories of being able to marathon Shambhala without express in the winter. I really need to get over there later in the year some time. I wouldn't try visiting in the summer without Express, but that doesn't mean I have to like that fact. Instead I agree with you wholeheartedly, it's all kinds of wrong, that their operations are so poor, it's almost an essential add on at certain times of the year. It's just a shame the coaster overlords decided Portaventura was to be the location of my favourite European B&M of any kind :(

I also think most of their other coasters (Red Force aside, not including that because... Second gate) are average at best... Dragon Kahn and Stampida aren't too bad, but aren't exactly top tier. Baco is horrendous, and the mine train is boring...

I don't blame you at all for not wanting to go back. The only reason I commented in the first place was for the benefit of anybody else reading really. There will be lots of people who still want to get out there because of Shambhala / Red Force, and whether we like it or not, it might help them to know how different the experience can be if you budget in Express vs if you don't. The hotel's top express being usable for the entire trip, for the cost of a single day pass, is also a tip worth knowing, one that isn't widely publicised.

redheadedRobin

Mega Poster
The most irritating theme park visit ever.
Read this and immediately knew what park was it about.

It's sad to see what PortAventura has become nowadays, it's always been a park with long queues but now it's much worse. This was on the news yesterday (link), apparently it was so packed people had to wait 5 hours to ride a single ride. The park insists they never sell over their capacity, but either that's a lie or their capacity should be decreased to solve the problem (edit: and sell les fastpasses and improve those nasty operations).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Read this and immediately knew what park was it about.

It's sad to see what PortAventura has become nowadays, it's always been a park with long queues but now it's much worse. This was on the news yesterday, apparently it was so packed people had to wait 5 hours to ride a single ride. The park insists they never sell over their capacity, but either that's a lie or their capacity should be decreased to solve the problem.
I was thinking about this, and I think if they increased tickets by just EUR5-10 and dropped the second gate nonsense for Ferarri Land, with their new addition coming, they'd seriously improve capacity and operations issues. They'd probably make more money too, because instead of collecting EUR15 from a tiny percentage of daily guests to enter Ferrari Land, they'd collect EUR5 from every daily guest...

Ferrari Land should never be a second gate anyway!!!

But also, as discussed above, if they stopped giving quite so much priority to express pass, then they'd seriously cut queue times... However that'd probably lead to less express being sold, so not sure how much appetite there'd be for that at the top, especially as their poor operations don't seem to impact visitor numbers, not yet anyway...

redheadedRobin

Mega Poster
However that'd probably lead to less express being sold, so not sure how much appetite there'd be for that at the top, especially as their poor operations don't seem to impact visitor numbers, not yet anyway...

Right now I think they're focused on selling more express passes, as it's what makes them a lot of quick, extra money and they know that people will still visit with regular tickets despite infernal queues. That is what has happened for years now, so I don't think visitor numbers will really be impacted. People will go like "just don't go on a weekend, duh" and try again after some time expecting other results.

For context: I've been to PA at least 15 times, maybe 20+, and except for my last visit in July 2020 I cannot think of one visit where Dragon Khan/Shambhala have had less than two hours of queue. Stampida is always a one hour wait, each side. Cannot speak for Hurakan Condor as I've never ridden it, but I remember waiting for more than 2 hours when my cousin got on it (and this was like ten years ago, when the fastpass problem was not that big). We complained every time about the long queues, and still visited every single year.