What's new

The mist on oblivion

A

Anonymous

Where did it go? I was just watching that old BBC documentary and had completely forgotten about it.it's not been turned on the last few years I've been to Alton.
Was it removed for cost? I can't see it being too expensive and think it really added something to the ride experiance.

A

Anonymous

Went twice in 08 and once in 07 and it was off all three times. I'm just unlucky I guess.

A

Anonymous

I think everytime ive been its been on maybe its either the day/weather or time of year or anything else.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes, it's hit and miss(t) (LOL!) if it's one. It was working last Monday when I went.

Please don't turn this topic into a "I went there on so-and-so day and it was on/off" fest. That would be YAWN.

nealbie

CF Legend
I wake up....... and suddenly CoasterForce is more Alton infested than I could have possibly imagined!

What's happened lol!

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I don't know about off, but have they turned it down at all? Every time i've been it's been misting but not to the extent it does on that video.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think it does appear that the mist is "turned down" but if you take factors such as weather (wind/rain) and frequency of trains ito the equation, the mist can look weak at times.

For example, back in 2005 when Hoyer was filming the misty hole, there was a temp break down and the mist was as thick as Jade Goody sitting her SATs. When I went last Monday when it was wet and windy, the mist looked limper than my penis when browsing for Cherrie Blair images.

Ollie

CF Legend
It's usually on when I go, but quite weakly. Also the wind that gets caught around that area around the hole blows it away as it's just condensed water spray. We went once though and they had a problem so we were sitting in the car for ages. But then by the time we got to the hole there was mist EVERYWHERE! The hole was completely white and it filled quite a bit of the tunnel as well.
That was probably my best Oblivion experience ever. The mist certainly adds to the experience though as it helps disorientate you as you drop into the hole and it's nice and refreshing.

But yeah, they need to add more mist as most the time it's almost non-existent as it's so weak.

Slash

Giga Poster
Ian said:
For example, back in 2005 when Hoyer was filming the misty hole, there was a temp break down and the mist was as thick as Jade Goody sitting her SATs. When I went last Monday when it was wet and windy, the mist looked limper than my penis when browsing for Cherrie Blair images.

That on its own is just one huge inuendo.

And its bloody hilarious too!! QUOTED

On topic, yes it changes thickness whenever im there, I think it depends on the weather as Ian said.

jokerman

Giga Poster
The mist isn't just great on the ride. If you are just watching the ride then it's also great as it adds to the mystery of the ride.

towers04

Roller Poster
I went yesterday and you could barely see it but I went last month on a cold day and the air was white so maybe the weather it to do with it.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Lets see, 2007, quite a lot, Summer 08, not much, but still a fair bit, November, much more than I've seen before. On the opening day and first year, there would have been more, to create a big impression for the new ride. I think the weather and date are the biggest factors, and the number of guests, no point putting on loads if no one will see it, but Scarefest doesn't count for this (it was empty) because it was a special occcasion, so they over did it a bit.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Nah I definetly prefer no mist, because then you are looking down this vast ugly concrete tunnel that fades off into the gloom. That sight, like some kind of deranged underground station trailing into the mysterious void underneath the Earth's surface, or like a well or cavern into the pits of hell itself, was enough to make me go weak at the knees and start spewing descriptive verse everywhere.

Although I'm gonna say I do enjoy entering a nice damp hole once in a while.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Ingested Banjo said:
Nah I definetly prefer no mist, because then you are looking down this vast ugly concrete tunnel that fades off into the gloom. That sight, like some kind of deranged underground station trailing into the mysterious void underneath the Earth's surface, or like a well or cavern into the pits of hell itself, was enough to make me go weak at the knees and start spewing descriptive verse everywhere.

Although I'm gonna say I do enjoy entering a nice damp hole once in a while.

Good innuendo, quoted.

Disgunstingly poetic may I add.

It is good with little mist, but I preffer it with mist, makes it scarier because you can't see whats coming and simply because it's there, also at Scarefest, when it's night time, you can see the mist being sprayed, and it is an amazing sight.