What's new

The Hunger Games and Battle Royale.

kimahri

CF Legend
This is probably a terrible title but hey, maybe it'll be provocative enough to get people in here and be surprised that I want to talk about something and not post excessive crap but anyway. The topic I wish to talk about.

With the release of The Hunger Games movie, getting more attention and being a conversation point, one thing has been brought to my own attention about it's similarities with another Novel/ Movie. What I want to talk about are the other things that people have seen and noticed, The comic book series The Invisibles and The Matrix and Monkey Island and Pirates of the Carribean for quick and common examples that Cracked.com has brought up.

Is it really that much of a bad deal that this has been spotted with The Hunger Games considerably more than the others and surely there are others out there that manage to pull of a nearly the same story and then they can, in the case of The Hunger Games as a whole series, eventually turn off into their own world and still be compitent?

I probably buggered this up but hey, I can not just spam up everything sometimes. :3

D1993

Hyper Poster
I have never heard of Battle Royale, and as far as I'm concerned, Hunger Games is the most unique thing I've ever heard of recently. I do realize that BR has similarities, but that was 2000 and it wasn't really popular as far as I'd been aware.

The Hunger Games just feels totally unique to me, because it then becomes more about just the games and surviving the arena - its a trilogy, and there is more issues to be explored.
Again, I dont know BR or if it was a book or if there are any sequels to it .....
But to me, Hunger Games is alot more.
Regardless of what people are saying, it has far more depth than anything that has come out of hollywood for a while.
I'm actually interested to watch Battle Royale now, so I can see what the true differences are.

Ben

CF Legend
D1993 said:
Hunger Games is the most unique thing I've ever heard of recently.

Oh the grammar, the grammar of it all!

I do realize that BR has similarities, but that was 2000 and it wasn't really popular as far as I'd been aware.

Japan doesn't count then?

Again, I dont know BR or if it was a book or if there are any sequels to it .....

Then do your research before dismissing it?

Regardless of what people are saying, it has far more depth than anything that has come out of hollywood for a while.

Ooooh, you're the worst.

I quite want to see The Hunger Games, but, calling it "unique" or "original" is just stupid. I think blatant rip-offs can still be good (barely anything is actually original...), but, bitch had blatantly seen Battle Royale.

I'd RATHER they did stuff like this than made out and out remakes though, this has involved some actual thought and development, so, I don't see the fact it's heavily inspired as an issue - most things are. I'm looking at my True Blood book that's sat on my desk as an example - I wouldn't be able to count the number of things that bloodily rips-off (Anne Rice would be a good place to start), but, it's still fab.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I haven't seen the film yet, but I read the book a while ago and definitely thought "Battle Royale" almost immediately. There again, when I was watching Battle Royale, I was thinking The Running Man, so, you know...

The point I'm making is does it actually matter? Suzanne Collins has, apparently, denied all knowledge of Battle Royale and to be honest, I'm tempted to believe her. I see it more as a "Running Man" with kids than a Battle Royale ripoff to be honest. I don't think there's anything so "out there" in Battle Royale that someone else couldn't have thought up.

Still deep down think she's ripped it off a bit though.

Error

Strata Poster
Similar Concept+Different Premise+Different Outcome=/=Same Movie or Rip-off.

This is a rip-off:
220px-Transmorphers.jpg

This is a rip-off:
tumblr_lncac81DaL1qbepn7o1_400.jpg

In reality, every single movie has references from other movies and mediums. It's always true, no matter how you look at it. A while ago Joey posted something on facebook on how the true nature of art is to steal, and adapt. And when you think of it, Battle Royale and Hunger Games are "ripping off" something very, very old where they'd have people fight to the death for entertainment...

eldjem.jpg

Mike

Giga Poster
I had never heard of Hunger Games (well, maybe the book a few years ago) until I saw someone talking about it on Facebook the other day, and suddenly EVERYBODY is talking like they read books for a hobby and how the movie is incredible.

I shan't be seeing it in a hurry.

:?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^The book of Hunger Games reminded me of the film of The Running Man if that makes sense. It's a very cinematic book.

I haven't seen the Hunger Games film or read the Running Man book.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, it's just that the book of The Running Man is very different to the film, and having no interest in researching the Hunger Games, I couldn't be bothered to work out which it is most like. The book of The Running Man has the realism of Battle Royale, but other than that, neither book or film are like it. Just trying to get a grip on what this Hunger Games really is - I suppose I should have a good long **** and read the book.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, Error is right. The book takes heavy inspiration from old Rome. Bread and circus, slavery, arenas, militarization of society, decadence and all that. It's actually spelled out very directly in the third book.

A third book that, I might add, doesn't look like something Hollywood would make a film of. Not without some "artistic license".

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't read fiction (not because I don't have an imagination, I prefer political, historical, biographical, factual stuff) so I've never read The Hunger Games book.

I thought I better start with that statement seeing as everybody else has to make a point about the book.

Anyway, everybody seems to be banging on about the film. And everybody keeps saying "it's like Battle Royale." And that's put me off finding out more.

Yeah, Battle Royal was great fun to watch back in the day so why on Earth would I want to watch something similar nowadays? Wouldn't it be like watching ANOTHER remake of the Titanic story?

If anybody can give me a few good reasons why I should spend my time watching a pirated copy when my dodgy mate gets hold of one, I'm all ears.