What's new

The GOAT Inversion

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
What's the Greatest Of All Time inversion? What's the Lionel Messi/LeBron James of coaster inversions? :emoji_goat:

I'm just heading back from Europa and forgot just how crazy that last inversion is on Blue Fire. It feels like being grabbed by the feet by a giant and spun round like a hammer throw.

I've not done an RMC yet but I assume the rolls on those are similar?

jayjay

Giga Poster
For a ride that's otherwise completely unimpressive, I still love the zero G on Drayton's Shockwave. The combo of zero G plus standing up is so ridiculous but amazing fun!

Honourable mentions:
- The zero G roll over Nemesis's station, especially in the front row
- Wildfire's zero G stall

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
For a ride that's otherwise completely unimpressive, I still love the zero G on Drayton's Shockwave. The combo of zero G plus standing up is so ridiculous but amazing fun!

Honourable mentions:
- The zero G roll over Nemesis's station, especially in the front row
- Wildfire's zero G stall
Regarding Nemesis I'd go for the first inversion. I love how the ground disappears from your feet and you fly straight into it over Forbiden Valley.

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
Zero-g rolls on wing coasters are really good, they really throw you around since you're on the outside of the track. I like them more than the ones on inverts.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Maybe it's just me and my tastes, but oddly enough I'd say the inversion I've experienced have always been my least enjoyed aspect of the rides. If forced to pick I'd probably go with the first corkscrew on Nemesis because of the approach, speed in which it takes the inversion and also the follow-up to it which is the cherry on the cake.

For me it's all about the drops, airtime and tight turns though. That's the creme de la creme of all my top coasters for me. Maybe I need to experience Wildfire's zero-g stall or something.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Definitely Nemesis's zero g roll. 2nd would be Nemesis's first corkscrew. That whole first section is paced so well, especially with the helix in between.

I honestly can't think of anything else I've done that come close to those.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Maybe it's just me and my tastes, but oddly enough I'd say the inversion I've experienced have always been my least enjoyed aspect of the rides. If forced to pick I'd probably go with the first corkscrew on Nemesis because of the approach, speed in which it takes the inversion and also the follow-up to it which is the cherry on the cake.

For me it's all about the drops, airtime and tight turns though. That's the creme de la creme of all my top coasters for me. Maybe I need to experience Wildfire's zero-g stall or something.
Usually I'd completely agree, I'd take airtime, speed and forces over any inversion. But that final roll on Blue Fire is absolute madness and I'd put that above most other coaster 'moments' I've experienced.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
The one that springs to mind - mainly because it was fairly recently - is the first inversion on Steel Vengeance. It's crazy! It's like.... I dunno, what's it like? It's like a barrel roll and an airtime hill at the same time, and the roll keeps on going longer than you think it will into an overbanked right turn, all while being about 100ft in the air. The three elements just come together so beautifully to make one, fabulous, floaty, flowing, weightless maneuver that it seems to defy the laws of physics.
It's sublime!

vaugc002

Mega Poster
Two times I've actually noticed an inversion as b'wowing' me:

Front seat Dragon Khan for the Dive Loop - a powerful inversion placed perfectly with a steep grassy bank behind, making it feel exposed.
Back seat on Helix for the last zero-G - proper hangtime with a bit of drag too.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster

Or Goliath's

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Probably biased, but Goliath's Stall. Whippy, open, floaty, the whole bunch. I'd love to see more of them on this big a scale on future rides. Everyone needs to experience it.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The one that springs to mind - mainly because it was fairly recently - is the first inversion on Steel Vengeance. It's crazy! It's like.... I dunno, what's it like? It's like a barrel roll and an airtime hill at the same time, and the roll keeps on going longer than you think it will into an overbanked right turn, all while being about 100ft in the air. The three elements just come together so beautifully to make one, fabulous, floaty, flowing, weightless maneuver that it seems to defy the laws of physics.
It's sublime!
Truly a masterpiece of design. Absolutely wonderful.

Makes the half-zero-g afterwards feel even more rubbish, too.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I have 2, which means there isn't one, but anyways.

Stalls. Give me a ****ing stall on every ride. They are perfection in everything I never knew I needed. I have the Cali stalls, and I think TC is better, but I need Goliath's...with a bucket below.

Raven Turn. Yes, the rarely used inversion basically on 4D's, but now appearing on Raptors. Yes, that's technically what they are calling it, so **** it. Raven and stalls are literally the exact opposite feelings, but would complement each other so well on the same ride. The ejector pop followed by the strong positives into the snappy float of a stall.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Here are a few of my favorite inversions so far:

-Blue Fire's last roll - Holy cow is this good. Shaped very weird. Tries to kill you. Love it.
-Steel Vengeance's roll & stall combo - Delicious roll with airtime, and then a hell of a transition in the middle of the stall. Whew.
-Wildfire's stall - Doesn't hardly feel like anything but the visuals are to die for. Looking straight down (up??) through the structure while hanging there is amazing.
-Blue Fire's loop - I loved this a lot. Perfect loop IMO, taken at the perfect speed. Felt like perfect 0G at the top.
-Time Traveler's roll - This is all kinds of awesome. If you're positioned completely sideways when you hit this roll, boy do you get launched. 10/10 uniqueness.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Most inversions are forgettable when compared to brutal airtime hills and super snappy twists. Hyperion's Twist n' Dive is glorious however. Start with some fun sustained floater, and then suddenly flip upside-down in a twisty rotation! Energylandia's Megacoaster may be disappointing overall, but that moment really elevated the whole experience.

And yes, RCDB does consider it to be an inversion: check it out.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
Not wanting to be that guy.... buttttt......

The greatest inversion of all time.... was the Zero-G Roll on Batman & Robin the Chiller at Great Adventure... Going backwards into it with just a lapbar was one of the most beautiful coaster moments that ever existed. https://rcdb.com/424.htm#p=419 <3
I remember watching videos of that when I was a young enthusiast and being shocked at how quickly those inversions were taken. Looked so brutal!