What's new

The Disney Park 'Ship' That Never Was...

Mark

Strata Poster
I found this whilst poking around some of the Disney fansites and thought it was an incredible idea and a really interesting read.

Imagine a Magic Kingdom style park that would be based on a 'ship' that could sail around the world and dock in in countries that did not have their own Disney park. It would dock for 2/3 months before moving on to another area of the world and would act as a sort of 'taster' of the Disney Parks.

The project was called S.S. Disney and even got into the early planning stages. Sadly it was shelved in favour of the Disney Cruise Line.

Still, if you like looking at the projects that never were then you will love THIS

A

Anonymous

Really love the idea of this, there is so much great ocean based stuff you can put into it. Things like Little mermaid and 20 leagues would fit perfectly on a ship like this. Seems a bit like it was put on hold due to change in management, that could also mean that in the future there might be another one that thinks this is a great idea which hopefully can make it happen.

nadroJ

CF Legend
This is absolutely amazing, like, completely mind-blowing. I'd love to see them get back onto this idea *dreams*.

Mark

Strata Poster
I couldn't agree more Jordan. Only Disney could imagine something so unusual and different and even go on to plan it.

I am not so sure it is something we could see in the future. Judging by the comments made and so on, it would seem this was planned before Disney started announcing new parks over in Hong Kong/Shanghai and the recent announcement of a Disney project in India. It sounds like this was planned as a way of taking Disney to those areas, with particular reference to the far east. However, now those places have parks there is no real need to send a 'Travelling Disney Park' there. Of course, there are plenty of other locations which the ship could go but would they be viable for the project to work. We will never really know.

spicy

Giga Poster
Thanks for posting that it was a really interesting read!

It sounds like a great idea and looks like it literally reached the final phase of planning but was pulled just before construction due to Frank Wells death. :(

Lofty

CF Legend
I couldn't believe this when I saw it the other day. I was actually amazed by it. I mean, imagine that, a floating park that docks up at major cities of the world? Seriously, incredible stuff.

Mark

Strata Poster
^ Totally... I can just imagine it mooring up along the South Coast of England somewhere. No idea where, Southampton I suppose.

It is the sort of project I can only envisage Disney having the balls to do tbh.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Wouldn't it just be awesome if there was just a theme park on a ship? And not just something with small attractions and maybe a small coaster, something with a handful of great rides.

Would RCDB even list those rides? :?