What's new

The Crypt vs. Talocan - which top spin is better?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Some say the Crypt at Kings Dominion, others say Talocan at Phantasia Land. Both are fantastic rides & beautifully themed with great water & fire effects, but which one is better?

The Crypt off-ride:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I66clh4yH00[/youtube]

Talocan off-ride:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdEd2iDdCiA[/youtube]

The Crypt on-ride:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsH5CED483U[/youtube]

Talocan on-ride:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FNOWpErDiQ[/youtube]

Ben

CF Legend
The Crypt hurt, had a terrible cycle and didn't even look that nice.

Talocan is insane! Amazing to look at, amazing cycle, and didn't hurt!

Tough one... not!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
The Crypt doesn't hurt at all (which furie can confirm) & I think the video speaks for itself as far as looks & cycle are concerned. How about an opinion fron a non-TPR sheep?

Ben

CF Legend
Hahaha. You're the one getting all touchy I don't agree with you. So? **** off.

I think me RIDING them speaks for cycle and comfort more than Furie and a few videos.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I personally thought that The Crypt had an awesome cycle and did just what a top spin was designed to do. It made me feel pretty dizzy after all the flips.

As for Talocan, I thought it was a giant top spin, but I guess I was wrong. I personally like the look better, but I can't comment about its cycle.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
Hahaha. You're the one getting all touchy I don't agree with you. So?
icon_censored.gif
off.

I think me RIDING them speaks for cycle and comfort more than Furie and a few videos.
I don't expect you to agree with me. In fact I'm always surprised whenever you do. I'm just tired of you bashing everything that has anything to do with Kings Dominion just because of your TPR experience there (which you're going to reply has nothing to do with your opinion :roll:).
I should have also taken into consideration that you're a skinny little
icon_censored.gif
, so that could have a lot to do with why you might have thought it hurt. However both rollerdude & I are skinny
icon_censored.gif
s as well, so that really shouldn't come into play.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Not been on Talocan, but Huss Top Spins hurt me without fail. The restraints are far too tight on my frame, and the seats are designed for elephant seals (or some other creature, but not the human spine).

I think it looks prettier than The Crypt.

The Crypt was a good ride. It didn't hurt, and the fire and water effects worked really well. It was missing that "long sweeping loop" the Huss models often do, but the flipping and spinning was much better than the Huss versions.

Unless I had been pain free for a long time prior, I'd avoid Talocan, but I'd go on The Crypt again no worries.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
So...let's see:

- Themeing: Crypt 0, Talocan 1

Just look at both rides. The Crypt is well "landscaped" but hardly themed, a couple of rocks here and there and that's it. And the effects could have been used better. Then again, Phantasialand "needed" to bury the ride to fit it and this gives a true footchopper sensation when you are doing the flips, plus the fire, water and mist seems to be perfectly synched on every ride.

- Ride Cycle: Crypt 0, Talocan 1

Crypt's cycle is the regular mode that comes with all suspended Top Spins, apparently (just look at any video from RipTide and you'll get my point). Talocan is just IN-SANE. Seriously... no top spin cycle has beaten this. I think we were flipped upsidedown for like 10 times. And in both directions, plus there were some inverted loops which were amazing. To be fair, Talocan cycle felt like some crazy German fair operator had taken over the ride and started to run it.

To sum up: Talocan 2, Crypt 0. :D

I've been on a few top spins and I never thought any of them were painful except for when the bottom of the OTSR is pressed against your leg. But other than that, they're all been fine.

That being said, I haven't been on either of these, but Talocan looks to have the better theming and the better cycle so it seems like I'll go with that.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, they're both the same model aren't they? :oops:

Talocan then, as I think the theming is much more impressive :)

marc

CF Legend
I hated Talocan. It hurt like hell and if like me you face the wall the ride is pointless, you see nothing no fire no water just a wall.

Not done the other one.

Talocan looks very impressive to watch though, better to watch than ride :)

I just dont like these types of rides.

Infernus

Hyper Poster
Neither, This one is better by far :p..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GHCg2eYe4s[/youtube]

But looking at the two videos (Obviously, I haven't had the oppertunity to ride them.. Yet, I'd have to say Talocan, the themeing is whole, rather than just under the ride.

Ollie

CF Legend
Talocan was AMAZING and one of my favourite flat rides ever. The effects and soundtrack are just stunning and the cycle is insane. The Crypt looks a bit tame compared to it really.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Infernus said:
Neither, This one is better by far :p..
If only it were still around I would have included it. Actually it's still there, sans themeing. :(
Personally I really like Talocon, but it doesn't get to me as much as the Crypt. In fact I don't get the slightest bit dizzy after riding Talocon, but I always have to get my bearings exiting the Crypt.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The King's Island version of The Crypt is stripped down, and not what it used to be. It was absolutely insane with the theming, and it just doesn't cut it without the theming. I must say, it does have a bit of a mysterious aura while on the ride due to the two or three lights shining at you, causing the entire room to be pitch black.

Jake

Strata Poster
Neither, it's all about Riptide!

2869536308_0bfb18936c.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ws9k4CRE6Q[/youtube]

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
LOL! Ripetide is brutal! (I mean that in a good way :wink: ). It's like taking a spinning shower with your cloths on. :lol:
No way I'll ever be making a POV on that baby!

Ollie

CF Legend
Riptide looks rubbish. It's really cool how it's got two separate gondolas but the cycle looks pathetic.