What's new

The Brexit Thread

Matt N

CF Legend
As I said, another part of me definitely would like a second referendum, as I'd argue that it would perhaps be a fairer representation of how the country actually feels now we know how Brexit will affect us.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
how the country actually feels now we know how Brexit will affect us.

See, you say "will affect us". I think the biggest problem with every deadline-extension at this point lies in the fact that the entirety of Britain's domestic politics has been infested and taken over by Brexit, and even though the parliament might have not done its job in terms of Brexit (to put this as child-friendly as possible), the British people and the British businesses sure have.

The people who were looking to leave Britain because of Brexit have done that.
The companies whose business is severely affected or harmed by Brexit have moved their headquarters.
The jobs that are relying on Britain being in the EU are already lost.

One could say that a hard Brexit has already happened a long time ago, probably before the very first deadline. All the parliament can do at this point is make sure that it won't stay as hard of Brexit once the papers are officially signed, and the more they postpone this, the longer Brexit will have been able to do severe damage to Britain. What Britain needs, is a parliament that has the capacity to deal with domestic politics that - whether they will be affected by any form of Brexit or not - can only be dealt with domestically.

The real damage in Brexit lies in the parliaments over three years long and ongoing inability to deal with issues that made especially the marginal leave voter vote leave in the first place. Not the extremists who were always going to vote leave either way. The people who can barely even afford rent because of the property market bubble. The people who have lost their benefits because the distribution has been outsourced to private companies who are looking to make a profit. The people who see the massively increased cost of college education for their children, while the economy leaves them with diminishing returns for their degrees.

Britain has been in a crisis well before the Brexit referendum, and that crisis has - best case scenario - been put on hold since then, or more likely, worsened even further while staying under the radar because of the total occupation of any political activity by Brexit.

From that perspective, it makes total sense for me as a foreigner why Boris Johnson was put into the position that he is in, because at this point delivering Brexit at all is, unfortunately, the best thing that can possibly happen to Britain. He's not there to negotiate the best possible deal for Britain, that ship has sailed well before the first deadline was missed. Brexit has already happened, and Britain needs someone to redeem itself from the complete political lockdown that prevents it from dealing with any of the issues that brought it Brexit in the first place.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
On a semi-related note, now that it appears we have yet another extension until end of January, shall I just keep booking European coaster trips?

For context, booked my large Northern Europe road trip for this past August while we still had the March 31st deadline. This then got extended to October and my trip passed without issue. Now, I'm booked to go to the PA CF live and again was worrying about it being past the Brexit deadline. That trip appears safe as well now!

For the Brexit situation itself, I voted Remain and still strongly feel that way. Brexit is a mistake and shouldn't happen. Due to the proven lies by the Leave campaign, I'd vote for a 2nd referendum and happily vote remain again.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
For the Brexit situation itself, I voted Remain and still strongly feel that way. Brexit is a mistake and shouldn't happen. Due to the proven lies by the Leave campaign, I'd vote for a 2nd referendum and happily vote remain again.

That's fine, don't blame you, but I'm fairly confident that some Brit goon going on a cheeky theme park weekender will be largely unaffected by Brexit, whatever that shambolic lot in Westminster come up with. Carry on booking those Euro coaster trips dude, you'll be fine. See you in Spain!
Such a drama queen. ;)