What's new

The best drop towers in world

King's Island's drop tower made me scream louder than I've probably ever screamed before (queue dirty jokes); however, Superman at Six Flags St. Louis was pretty intense as far as the ride and the drop cycle are concerned. Waldameer's was good for the simple fact that you never knew when you were gonna drop.

So yah, probably those three :p .

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Taylor, you've never been on my drop tower.

[/justbecauseitwasexpected]

As for Acrophobia, the fact that I've never been to Six Flags over Georgia is why it wasn't mentioned for me. It sounds like a fantastic tower though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hyde244 said:
To claim that the bigger Intamin towers get, the worse they are is false; higher drop towers means longer periods of sustained airtime.

Unless floater airtime is something that is better in small doses, sometimes less is more?

bmac

Giga Poster
furie said:
Hyde244 said:
To claim that the bigger Intamin towers get, the worse they are is false; higher drop towers means longer periods of sustained airtime.

Unless floater airtime is something that is better in small doses, sometimes less is more?

Personally from my experiences I would say the length of air time should be the opposite of the intensity, so if it's ejector air you shouldn't have too much but if it's floater you can have as much as you want. Given that's with roller coasters, I need to ride more drop towers...

Intricks

Strata Poster
I find the higher ones to be worse mentally. You are just sitting up there, like ducks, waiting for the inevitable drop.

Waldameers is fun as you dont know when you will fall, but having ridden travelling versions of it I knew what to expect.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Intricks said:
I find the higher ones to be worse mentally. You are just sitting up there, like ducks, waiting for the inevitable drop.

But for those massively tall towers, the anticipation is arguably the best part!

bmac

Giga Poster
After riding Drop Tower at Kings Dominion about 4 different times yesterday I really like it when the ride op DOESN'T tell you when you're at the top and counts down to the drop. Really enforces the mystery as to when you're going to drop, even though it's 5 seconds every time once it hits the top.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Intricks said:
Which is why I'm a girl when it comes to drop towers. :wink:

You have no idea how grateful I am that Lex Luthor opened after I left California.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^^ They need to do it like at SFoG. Random countdowns and complaints it isnt dropping. Then release it mid sentence about something not related. Made the drop far more surprising lol.

^ Pit Fall was the worst when I first rode it. You heard the locking mechanism disengage and I thought it was dropping then. Imagine how my voicebox felt after I stopped to breathe and THEN we dropped :lol: I honestly cant wait for Lex Luthors. Im probably gonna whore the ride up as much as I can when Im there November 2nd :3

andrus

Giga Poster
^The ride op at KD did the random cout downa etc at least when I was there. That, and the fact it's bloody tall and breaks really late makes it my tied #1. The other one being Scream at Heide Park. While Scream isn't as tall the theming and spinning gondola makes up for it! And the angled roof in the cattle pen makes for a surpricingly strong wind blow every time the gondola drops; very spectacular!

anton_fan

Roller Poster
Drop Tower (or whatever it's called) at KD is good, but Acrophobia at SFOG in my opinion is one of the best I have ridden only because the seats tilt, you stand up, and the ride-ops torment you at the top.

Nick P

Mega Poster
Since I've only been on about 3 drop towers, I would have to say Drop Tower at KD is the best. I made sure to sit on the side facing Intimidator 305 so I had a pretty good view to top it all off.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
anton_fan said:
Drop Tower (or whatever it's called) at KD is good, but Acrophobia at SFOG in my opinion is one of the best I have ridden only because the seats tilt, you stand up, and the ride-ops torment you at the top.

I really want too ride a standing tilting gyro drop tower and i am probably going to be able to ride High Fall and Movie Park Germany next year. i have heard they are a little uncomfortable though.

Nic

Strata Poster
In no particular order, my favourites -
Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom
Apocalypse (Drayton Manor)
Tower of Terror (although I've only done Cali and Paris)
Detonator (Thorpe Park)

I haven't been on that many drop towers. I've been on Magma (Paultons Park), Detonator (Thorpe Park) and Hangover Tower (Hyde Park Winter Wonderland) in that order.

My favourite by far was definitely Detonator. The pneumatic rams combined with the extremely airtime-friendly OTSRs means that Detonator packs some very thrilling ejector despite only being 115ft.

Hangover Tower gave some amazing views thanks to the sheer height and the rotating gondola. The lapbar restraints that I was really looking forward to turned out to be a double edged sword however. I definitely felt more exposed with just a lapbar (especially given I was 270ft in the air!) but the snug fit did somewhat diminish the floater airtime.

Magma was a bit tame to be honest only being 82ft and having a pretty slow drop. I understand that it is supposed to be more of a family-oriented ride though.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
#1 Apocalypse (Stand Up With Floor) (Drayton Manor) - terrifying with a fantastic drop
#2 Apocalypse (Stand Up Floorless) (Drayton Manor) - terrifying with a fantastic drop
#3 Jolly Roger (Pleasurewood Hills) - top tier drop with a restraint gap, but if you're stapled then this can drop right to the bottom of this list
#4 Power Tower II (Hyde Park Winter Wonderland) - don't remember too much outside of just a really good drop
#5 Cliffhanger (Flamingo Land) - shot & drop combo cycle on my tallest launch tower so far is a sweet double duo
#6 Detonator (Thorpe Park) - great drop
#7 Hangover (Hyde Park Winter Wonderland) - slowly lost love for this over time as the drop just doesn't do it for me anymore. while the waiting around at the top can be a great anxiety-builder for most, for me it isn't, I've honestly gotten a little bored of that bit and would much rather stay at the top for just 5-10 seconds before dropping
#8 Volcano (Fantasy Island) - great launch
#9 Ice Blast (Blackpool Pleasure Beach) - good launch

The others (unranked)

Drop Dead (London Dungeons), High Striker (Thorpe Park), Sky Drops (Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach & Adventure Island), Drop n' Smile (Adventure Island), a drop tower next to Python (Gullivers Milton Keynes)

Last edited:

ScottLann

Mega Poster
1. Hurakan Condor (PortAventura World)
2. Falcon's Fury (Busch Gardens Tampa)
3. Tower Of Terror (Hollywood Studios FL)
4. Apocalypse (Drayton Manor)
5. Detonator (Thorpe Park)
6. Cliff Hanger (Flamingo Land)
7. Ice blast (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
8. Thrill Towers (Ferrari Land)