What's new

The Best Album Of 2009

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Hmm. I've searched through about 14 pages of this forum and haven't seen this topic, so I thought I'd start it. If something similar exists, slap me. Hard.

But yes, for all you music enthusiasts out there...which album rocked your world the most this year?

Mine would probably either be 'The Resistance' by Muse or 'Attics to Eden' by Madina Lake :p

marc

CF Legend
Tbh none.

This year has been a year of covers made into cheap dance tracks.

I have bought very few cds.

Most people are going to say Lady GaGa wait for it lol. And no I do not have a copy.

All I have bought is Madonna's greatest hits, Now cds and the remastered Queen CD.

I have downloaded some singles but thats about it.

Dave

CF Legend
I would say Muse- The Resistance but it was alright, it still is growing on me.

If its a non-2009 released album then I'd say Gojira's whole discography, just awesome! As well as Strapping Young Lad's album The New Black.

nealbie

CF Legend
Take That - The Circus: HUGE tour in the early summer, and are still milking the benefits now and it's just about about a year old! :lol:

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
To Marc, I do agree with you, I've only purchased about 10 albums this year, as opposed to the 50+ I bought last year :/

And to Dave, I was waiting for someone to say Muse! I kind of didn't like it at first, but after I saw them play the new songs live, then I really started to like it. But it's a strange album to say the least. Btw, Gojira FTW!

nealbie

CF Legend
No :(

Badtimes, The Black Eyed Peas with The E.N.D. has also done very well for itself this year in my opinion

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
^^I'm glad you mentioned that! I was meant to start listening to Dream Theater years ago lol

What would you say is their best track to download first as a taster?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Well I only got 2 albums this year :p

Out of the two, (Muse and Rammstein), Muse certainly had the better overall, and it's growing...

But in the end, it's been a bad year for music... I blame the recession...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Just ordered The Resistance. I've had other Muse stuff, but it's all kind of milling along stuff, waiting for the two or three good tracks to come along.

While The Resistance doesn't have that "BAM" track, it's a much better overall experience.

I'm still waiting for my first albums of the year to arrive though. I suspect The Dead Weather - Horehound will get a huge amount of play time in the car though. Just the few tracks I've listened to so far are superb.

Them Crooked Vultures I think will come a close second, but Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions has got some great tracks on it as well.

Should be a fun time with all the Christmas travelling I have to do :) Will give a final choice in a week or two :)

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
furie said:
While The Resistance doesn't have that "BAM" track, it's a much better overall experience.

The Resistance does take a good few listens to actually get to like it, but still, no where near as good as Absolution.

Lain

Giga Poster
Enigma Shadow said:
^^I'm glad you mentioned that! I was meant to start listening to Dream Theater years ago lol

What would you say is their best track to download first as a taster?

For the older stuff I'd go for Metropolis Pt. 1, or Under a Glass Moon. Those are both a couple of quintessential DT tracks. In terms of newer tracks, you could try Stream of Consciousness, Octavarium, or The Count of Tuscany.

Also, the Scenes From a Memory album is pretty amazing all the way through.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Enigma Shadow said:
furie said:

The Resistance does take a good few listens to actually get to like it, but still, no where near as good as Absolution.

I liked it on first listen actually - where as Absolution I found that you just wait for Hysteria to come along, then you skip the rest of the album. It was all pretty dull, with some songs that sound a bit like Hysteria, but not as good - the rest are just pretty bland and forgettable.

Okay, the "we're almost Queen" stuff on The Resistance is a bit silly - but it's also quite appealing :)

As for Dream Theatre, start on some older stuff like "Awake" - it's a solid album, which shows their potential (plus it's the only album of theirs I've listening too all the way through so the only one I can recommend ;) )

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
^Considering the price of some albums (£14.99 for AFI's Decemberunderground, anyone?) I don't blame you.

I only really buy albums if I REALLY like the band.

Brookes

Giga Poster
^I always buy albums I don't know why. I think it's the thing of actually owning the album, I dunno. I used to buy singles aswell but the CD versions of them are disappearing. Anyway there are 3 albums I can't choose between this year:

Arctic Monkeys - Humbug
Kasabian - West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
The Rifles - Great Escape

I have seen them all live and are fantastic, and can't choose between their albums this year, all 3 are brilliant. I am still waiting for Muse, having it for Christmas but I have heard it is not as good as previous ones.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
^ Yes, I like to have a collection of CDs, just because...well, like you said, it's the feeling of actually owning the album. I think I have around 200 CD albums. And it's sad to see the CD singles being replaced by digital :(

I have seen The Rifles once! It was in the Bull And Gate back in 2007, it was a pretty memorable show. As for their albums, I don't have any yet, despite being harassed by my best friend repeatedly to buy them.

And The Resistance IS a good album, it just feels very different from previous ones. I'm just dying for another Origin Of Symmetry type album :c

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
The only albums I ever buy each year are Clubland, Now That's What I Call Music, and any dance albums that look interesting to me. Other than that I download most my music which is usually pop songs lol.

The only album dedicated to one artist I bought this year was The Fame Monster because I love pretty much all of Lady GaGa's songs whereas with most other artists I only like about 3 songs on their album if you know what I mean so I normally download the 2 or 3 songs I like instead of wasting my money on a whole album when I only want a couple of songs.