What's new

The American Football Thread

CMonster

Giga Poster
So, I decided to make a football topic for all American members or anybody else who likes football. College and NFL teams only, please (as there are too many high school teams to talk about).

CMonster

Giga Poster
For college (which is all I care about right now lol), my teams are the Florida Gators and the USF Bulls. They're both owning right now, the Gators are first in the country and the Bulls are doing great as well. Plus, next thursday they're playing Cincinnati, and they are both ranked teams.

How about you?

PS: Snoo, it's time to continue that "discussion" about our college teams. :wink: :p [/b]

RCF

Strata Poster
Shoot man I'm a #2 Texas boy. They got the week off yesterday and we got Colorado this week. Gators are looking really good, unlike those loser Sooners. :wink: What about NFL. I'm a Broncos man myself.

RCF

Strata Poster
AS I can see. I still don't agree with the firing of Jon Gruden (or Chuckie as I call him :p ) You guys are 0-3 after firing your I believe offensive coordinator like, a week before the season started? Well it's a new coach. Who knows look at Josh McDaniels for my Broncos. We're 3-0 after everyone doubted him after he traded Cutler. And Orton has no INT's in the regular season, while Cutler's got 5 of them. Don't doubt the Buc's they've pulled off some crazy stuff before. It's still early. You've got Washington and they lost to the LIONS!!!!!! A team who lost 19 consecutive games. You may just get your first win.

RCF

Strata Poster
Only if other people ignore it. We're discussing the topic aren't we? And just because you don't care about it doesn't mean anyone else doesn't.

Dave

CF Legend
American Football goes against everything the US stands for which is bigger, better, faster stronger.

In American Football it is smaller, crapper, slower and weak. Think about it ;)

RCF

Strata Poster
No see, the football back then in the 70's and 80's was the REAL football era. Nowadays they fine you for every little hit. You hit them wrong, flag. You lay a finger on the QB, fine and a roughing the passer penalty.

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah, so, hey Brits, go **** yourselves! ;)

I'm a college man myself.. devoted to my Ohio State Buckeyes. I'll actually be heading to a game on 10/31.. and I can't wait, as it will be my first.

As for NFL.. screw the NFL. Overpaid chumps with no sense of tradition with soulless fans who don't care at the drop of a hat.

clecktown

Roller Poster
Even as a proper football fan, I have watched American football before, and usually stop up for as long as I can during the Superbowl.
My only gripe is that it's very stop-start. I like sports that flow.
Saying that, I keep a look out for Buccaneers' results, but that's more of a Florida bias ;)
And I play Madden if that's any use :p

RCF

Strata Poster
Well Snoo unless my memory is hazy the Longhorns beat the Buckeyes last year in the Fiesta Bowl..... or was that just me? :wink: And yes Clecktown playing Madden does give you credit.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Both the kid & I like college much better than pro ball.
I root for my alma mater: Clemson, of course. Go Tigers!
Other teams I pull for are Oklahoma (where I played as a freshman) & Rutgers, the local college team. Thanks to my friendship with Snoo of the Snoo, I also have started pulling for the Buckeyes (who we beat my senior year to win the National Championship) & rooting for whoever is playing against Michigan. :p
I also pull for my local pro teams: the Giants - Go Big Blue & J-E-T-S, Jets Jets Jets!
The way the Giants are playing it's looks like they'll have no trouble making the play-offs, but after a great start, it looks like the Jets are starting to struggle as usual.

Snoo

The Legend
Hey, I don't care who they lose to.. I will always be a Buckeyes fan, through and through.

And, last years Fiesta Bowl was definitely one of the best games I've ever watched. Simply amazing.. along with the 2006 OSU vs UoM and the 2002 National Championship.

To brag about winning that game is just arrogance, because one slipped up play was the difference between winning the game and losing the game.. and MOST Texas fans have been very truthful about that fact.

CMonster

Giga Poster
East Coast(er) General said:
Both the kid & I like college much better than pro ball.
I root for my alma mater: Clemson, of course. Go Tigers!

That's funny, I have like eight friends whose parents went to Clemson...

Blaze

Hyper Poster
American football is just rugby played in body armour where you can take out people who have are not in play and dance over them. It is a stupid sport and is too stop start. Sorry. Real rugby is played with little more than a shirt and does not pretend to be football even though you use your hands.

Sorry, just my opinion, feel free to say what you want about football, but at least it does what it says on the tin and does not require ridiculous armour to play.

CMonster

Giga Poster
^ I completely agree that the momentum doesn't flow as well as it should. But, if you're in the stands cheering for your team, especially if they are winning or close, the short breaks are great for good natured bantering and cheers.

But I agree that for TV it is annoying.

RCF

Strata Poster
Snoo calm down i was just kidding. Ohio State is a good time. And ECG, the Jets don't seem to be struggling that much they've actually gotten a lot better with Mark Sanchez back there. And yes Clemson is a good team. Are they ranked?