What's new

Crazy Bats VR Coaster - Phantasialand

JoshC.

Strata Poster
And a double post from me... [EDIT: ooo, not a double post after all - lucky me!]

https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/11833/Phantasialand-krijgt-virtualreality-achtbaan.html

Looopings are reporting that Temple of the Nighthawk IS getting Virtual Reality headsets this year. I know Looopings aren't the greatest, but they're right in their rumours...

Would be an incredible u-turn from the park, and very odd given the VR fad seems to be dying..

Ethan

Strata Poster
Tried to click the link but to see the page they want you to disable your ad-blocker, however I shall not be doing this as I don't want to support Loopings. Does the above link actually provide any "information"? I just don't see TotNH getting VR, doesn't seem very on-brand for the park.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Tried to click the link but to see the page they want you to disable your ad-blocker, however I shall not be doing this as I don't want to support Loopings. Does the above link actually provide any "information"? I just don't see TotNH getting VR, doesn't seem very on-brand for the park.

I'll take one for the team:

Phantasialand has plans to equip a roller coaster with virtual reality. Insiders report this to Looopings. The covered Temple of the Night Hawk roller coaster was to be fitted with VR glasses this year. The German amusement park does not yet want to confirm the rumor.

Temple of the Night Hawk is called "the longest indoor roller coaster in the world through the dark". The attraction opened in 1988 as a Space Center. Since 2001, the track has had a jungle theme, with fake plants in the station. In 2015, the job underwent a major change for the last time. Then a new soundtrack was introduced.

Other European amusement parks , including Alton Towers, Gardaland and Legoland, choose toto stop virtual reality. The addition of VR glasses caused technical problems and long queues there. Apparently Phantasialand still has faith in the system.

No comments
A spokesperson for Phantasialand does not want to comment on the story. "I can't communicate about this right now, so I can't tell if it's right," he told Looopings.

Temple of the Night Hawk is twelve meters high and 1174 meters long. A four-minute ride consists of three chain lifts and a lot of cornering. The top speed is around 45 kilometers per hour.

So there's no information, but Looopings do have sources and I've rarely seen them be wrong. Just as an example, they were the first to report that Phantasialand would be introducing a Vekoma launched flyer coaster. As much as I'm not keen on them, they usually are in the know.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I'd be extremely surprised and very disappointed.
The creative team have always said they've no interest in VR; creating unique real experiences with theming is their goal. The whole announcement video for F.L.Y. revolved around the "unique attractions" concept with Europa and Bobbejaanland being nearby its hardly unique. Also they are very careful with how they spend money, everything is done with a long term plan in mind. Investing in this fad just while it dies everywhere else would be insane.

Plus if they were to put a significant amount of money into a "new experience", as other parks have done with VR, wouldn't it be marketed as such? If you're banking on new visitors from this why hasn't there been any advertising if it already opens on 1st April? Would be odd.

Although I did hear this rumour myself a week ago; but all the "proof" I was shown was an email to someone from VR Coaster GMBH/Mack Media where they asked about Temple and the response was pretty much "we cannot talk about future projects unless they are made public by the perspective park". Their "evidence" being they didn't deny it; personally I thought it was nothing more than a copy and paste response. Potentially this has just also has just been sent to Looopings and their running with it, rather than having actual insider the knowledge but who knows... They have leaked a number of things correctly in the past but have also been wrong a number of times too (not that they'd admit it as they go back and edit or remove those articles).

Nervously awaiting the start of the new season now...

NightHawkFur

Roller Poster
VR for Phantasialand might be odd, but then again this might be just a "filler" before rookburgh opens. Yes, vr is expensive, but a fad nonetheless. it will certainly secure the ride for another 2-3 years imo, but then ? the question is if anything else has been done, especially to that god awfull queueline bunker and for the non-vr riders.

I had heard about this rumor before as well.

roff

Roller Poster
I wouldn't mind VR on Temple if it is optional and free, especially since the alternative is that nothing changed and the ride is as boring as ever.
If it's only a couple of rows it won't have any real impact on the capacity, Temple rarely gets a long queue.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
It's completely unnecessary and out of character. Temple doesn't need anything to secure it; it already is secured by Fantissima existing in the same building. It still pulls a decent crowd in, up to 40 mins of a queue on extremely busy days last year. If they wanted to refurbish it in normal PHL spirit like Black Mamba and River Quest I would have expected a phased/spread out over a number of years gradual addition of new theming.

The only reason for this would be to make a quick buck with a simple to deliver "new attraction" but that brings me back to my point of then why is there no marketing? This is just bizarre if true.

NightHawkFur

Roller Poster
Maybe they wanted to be like "SUPRISE SUPRISE" on 1st of April but now Loopings messed that up.

I'd rather have real theming then some goggles as well, but maybe as ive said, the ride has a final planned "use by" date in the next couple of years and they want to please fans for a last short time before it goes down. Who knows. People will be very split on this I can imagine.

Last edited:

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
It just seems so... Off-brand? I'm not believing it just yet.
I bet they will be able to make it work. I believe they can make some good story around it, theme the goggles to look like helmets the Winja's would wear... Remove one of the lifthills :p

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Tbh I hate TOTNH, made me want to throw up and I felt very blarugh for a good hour or so after. VR probably would be better... saying that, VR is ****. So in summary, get rid of TOTNH...

NightHawkFur

Roller Poster
Tbh I hate TOTNH, made me want to throw up and I felt very blarugh for a good hour or so after. VR probably would be better... saying that, VR is :emoji_poop:. So in summary, get rid of TOTNH...

The issue is the lack of a focus point during the ride. It was mostly fine until the old Bird-Laser projection broke for good. Now, temple is (no joke) the ride were most people throw up. each visit, no matter how slow of a day it is, at least once they have to get the industrial vacuum and paper towels...

Yes, VR is ****, but also without it you don't need to demolish the ride to fix that perticular issue. Sadly, Phantasialand doesn't seem to care.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
The issue is the lack of a focus point during the ride. It was mostly fine until the old Bird-Laser projection broke for good. Now, temple is (no joke) the ride were most people throw up. each visit, no matter how slow of a day it is, at least once they have to get the industrial vacuum and paper towels...

Yes, VR is :emoji_poop:, but also without it you don't need to demolish the ride to fix that perticular issue. Sadly, Phantasialand doesn't seem to care.

Yah- agree entirely. Makes me think that they’re lining it up for the chopping block. Fingers crossed!!

Ethan

Strata Poster
Wouldn't VR make just as many people sick? You hear of people getting ill from Galactica and Kraken Unleashed etc, why would this be any different? I imagine a focus point would need to be something physical for it to counteract disorientation.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Wouldn't VR make just as many people sick? You hear of people getting ill from Galactica and Kraken Unleashed etc, why would this be any different? I imagine a focus point would need to be something physical for it to counteract disorientation.
Funny enough I did my thesis on this :p (Virtual Sound and Orientation with Virtual Sound, I saw a bit on visualisation only)
Sound and visualisation are indeed important to keep your balance (and therefore don't get motion sick). This just means that your sound perception and visual perception should be the same as the movements you're making to not **** up your brain. Ofcourse the balance organs in our ears can work okay without those 2 parameters, as long as the movement isn't too extreme
So as long as the VR is super well synced with the ride, there shouldn't be a problem. (But differences in the ranges of milliseconds are enough the make you lose your balance)
Luckily TotNH isn't inverting and doesn't realy have any insane transitions, which won't make you as sick as any of the more extreme coasters with VR

Matt N

CF Legend
Hmmm, not too sure on this. I'm generally not a fan of the way that VR has been implemented on the roller coasters it has been put onto, and it also seems like Phantasialand are a little bit late to the party, as many parks are now removing VR from their VR coasters (e.g. Alton Towers, SeaWorld Orlando).

However, from what I've heard about it, Temple of the Night Hawk is the sort of ride that could actually be enhanced by VR; it is apparently not that good of a ride and has little to no physical theming, so VR could really transform it into something quite immersive and enveloping if the quality is good!

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Btw, still thinking it could be some rumour that should have been released on 1st of april as a joke. And which was misinterpreted by some sources.
I see more and more companies coming out with april fools jokes to a huge scale (preparing them weeks in advance)