What's new

Techniques to Avoid Being Stapled?

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
Hello all! Earlier I was thinking about my last visits to Six Flags America and Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and how ride operators seemed to consistently push the restraints a click or two too tight. The one exception was on Apollo’s Chariot, where I used the well documented “scoot forward” technique to get some space between my legs and the clamshell harness. This got me wondering: Do other restraint types work differently? And if so, which methods work on which restraints?

Niles

Giga Poster
I do the same thing for all, scoot forward, slouch, blow out tummy, squidge head into neck try to look as chunky as possible, it’s not very dignified and does not look as effective since I got slim but as of now it works great and I always get air, I got a little to much on skyrush and had to push it down as I came way to far out my seat for comfort 😅

your aiming to look like this.
TartLegitimateIvorybilledwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah I usually do the scoot-forward. Did it on Taron on my first ride and thought I was going to die on the first airtime hill. I do know the risks associated with this, so I think it's important not to take the p*ss, but I think edging forward an inch or so isn't too bad as long as you're cautious.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Forward shuffle with the arse, overextension of the distended beer gut, arms down by your sides to hide the forward shuffle, gentle raising of the knees to keep the lap bar up just a little on the ratchets, additional "car style" seat belt pulled out at fullest extent.
Slight standing at all the pertinent spots on the drops ( to protect my bad back), with arms raised and pulling faces at the riders on the other train, high fives where you can with people on the other train round the bends.
That is how to do the Nash.
Ridden the Grand National that way since they first (sadly) fitted seat restraints.
It was much more fun back in the golden days without any restraints on the woodies at BPB at all.
Now the staff staple me in and laugh their bloody heads off..."You ain't standing up when I'm on duty you old bloody fool", keep getting spotted by the staff going on their breaks by the track.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
first a contingency list of actions and follow-up actions:
  • Scoot forward, keeping you bum and back away from the back of the seat.
  • Do your best to apply your own restraint in advance of the ride-op (if possible), to get the fit you need, right.
  • If instructed to sit back, sitback, but flex your thigh and raise slightly into restraint as it’s being pressed by the ride op.
  • If you’re really, really stapled, don’t be afraid to ask the ride op to release and reapply the restraints. It’ll make you *that guest*, but pepper in a “oh my gosh! I forgot to zip my pocket/secure wallet/etc. as cover.
And indeed, different ride trains have different restraint styles, leading to different approaches to ensure no stapling:
  • B&M Ratchet OTSRs (Floorless, Invert, etc.) - press your shoulders up into the restraints, being sure you have some margin of wiggle room, and not fully "clicked" in.
  • Arrow lapbars - there is a small wheel well-indent on the outside of the train flooring. Plant your outter foot on this base to make it appear your leg is higher than the true floor. Be warned, Arrow stapling is one of the worst to come by, thanks in part to abrupt airtime AND a smaller bar that can really cut.
  • Intamin hydraulic lapbar - since this slides on a gradient, just be sure it's touching your thighs/mid-section, but not truly pressing in.
  • Intamin hydraulic OTSR - do your best to also have the bottom bar touching your legs but not pressing in. Intamin's with OTSRs are notoriously airtime machines (hence the use of OTSR rather than lapbar), and the restraint will lower further with high negative g-force.
  • B&M vest restraint - press up your thighs into the restraint as it's lowered.
  • PTC lapbar - there can be a rare moment where you get stapled. This has a large ratchet-travel between clicks, so again - be sure you have wiggle room.