What's new

TEA attendance report 2017

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yay. I'm not usually into the proper geeky part of this stupid hobby, but I always love this for some reason.

Will have a proper read tomorrow though.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Cut out the headline tables for quicker browsing. Worth diving in to the detail though if you've got time - all pretty interesting stuff!

Firstly the worldwide ones -

Worldwide - Theme Park Groups
zk3IfUx.png

Worldwide - Theme Parks
HpWkBM8.png

Worldwide - Water Parks
FhcRqlK.png

Now the continent-by-continent ones (only included the theme parks here, cos that's all we really care about let's be honest) -

North America
HawBPQZ.png

South America
fMeWzH3.png

Asia/Pacific
RxXVKbp.png

Europe/Middle East/Africa
KuPYNLM.png

And for what it's worth, here's the high level museum numbers -

Worldwide - Museums
tOcOp1h.png

Make of all of that what you will!

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Good to see the Paris parks starting to do really well again (15% increase for Disneyland Paris and 8% Parc Asterix) and that Symbolica was a massive success for Efteling. Phantasialand have maintained the large increase in visitors they saw in 2016 with Klugheim. And Towers has hit 2 million again.

Interesting to see Gardaland have a decrease of 9.7% and despite opening Ghostbusters Heide saw a decrease of 3.9%.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I'm impressed to see Universal Parks & Resorts be number three behind Disney and Merlin in terms of attendance. As far as I can tell, they only operate five parks (plus a water park), compared to Disney's 12 and Merlin's 16. Then again, all those parks lie near the top of their respective continents' attendance lists. Pretty massive attendance per park, in other words! The only Universal park that doesn't pull more than three times as many visitors as Merlin's top park is Universal Studios Singapore, with 4.4 million visitors compared to Gardaland's 2.6 million (and yes, it surprised me too that Gardaland is the most visited Merlin park). I guess good theming, good rides, strong IPs and great locations help.

It also surprised to see the great difference in visitors between the top-tier parks in North America and those just behind. Okay, the two most visited parks are in a league of their own with 20 and 18 million visitors, but then there are seven parks at 9-12.5 million visitors. And then the tenth most visited park is all the way down at 4 million, then the ten next parks on the list are between 3 and 4 million. Really surprising that there are no parks with annual attendance numbers of 4.1 to 8.9 million, when there are nine parks above that gap and eleven just below it.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
It's always so sad to see the SeaWorld/Busch parks always on the decline. Despite Mako opeing June 2016, SW was down 7.9% in 2016 and further 10% last year... like what do they need to do?
Also PortAventura opened a whole new park and only got an increase in 1.4%

ukozh4SeLYbziLfPSoo5jTrm2Q0gO3d1tZiQUhD9HsEuwpAA4C4QJneC87qolLE0CLoARR4tsVPsAsNmV8Dnh1Tg7Xu6C6-nm1g9IamYovKCbrRXbym0hsL1Rr4FCVryidDb7_TNJZ7wON-J0YfXAQe747tE8LK-XixhAaaQuAZp1ya4LNAq61IShvbx4ka7-JvW1mweRUF7FvLo2M1_i58dcMbxr367pa1otdIBF7eRy-q-ccth-L5JF70W7MUqtiLNar5NbDF8o0zIZFIgvckE-42F-oERjfGhR59IoN3U-_OBIQiMM2bfNCI-U0HHuegONIxXheLtPZPkLoXVGKeRyJHp-pB8ajmtwh3EiFlQHMBmbBJr7KOkwphzAags5NcrQ6z0YVJAYpQG0MAjXv8_iKbS0vQpnByIchR2uAfG2OA7Zn3Ep19t-d-efk_13euTXcoYBeaAZKWIgvs6sCkLftqi3rLVtonvTfn8QygMjBN7WLkRu0QSMEUN91qJE2gq24jpAuGqwB6YdslU6-HDrMv0W28JUyBmj5vBiawu-qOath8vXA3MMUILXVlnRdHEjgj-HPiyZRZKEi-y2NbBkPxNRBuW2zPgghc=w236-h200-no

Peet

Giga Poster
I guess they are still suffering from the Blackfish thing, I'm surprised the bad press affects Busch Gardens so much though.
Anyone know why BPB isn't included?