^Did the proposal for the 2021 hotel fully fall through?
Since they withdrew the planning application in May 2018, the only word on the hotel was in an article in the Independent a couple of weeks back.^Did the proposal for the 2021 hotel fully fall through?
Officials from Meath County Council raised concerns with Tayto Park founder Ray Coyle about how a proposed hotel linked to his theme park would impact on traffic in the area.
During a meeting with officials, Coyle spoke of a second roller coaster and the potential future development of the attraction, outlining the possibility of a music event taking place in 2019.
Minutes of the meeting show that Coyle sought the meeting and expressed disappointment that an application in May for the hotel had been withdrawn. However, he "emphasised he was committed to building a hotel and sees it as an essential element of the park".
However, senior council officials said the main issue to be addressed in the new application would be how increased traffic would be managed, particularly at the N2 Curragha junction.
They told Coyle that major structural improvements in the area would be some years away.
Any new hotel plan would need to show how traffic could access the premises without adding to capacity, said officials.
Planners for Coyle undertook to give this consideration in a future application.
The minutes, released under the Freedom of Information Act, show that Coyle enquired what planning issues and licensing would arise for a music event, which might be held in 2019. He was told that generally a licence is required when attendance numbers exceed 5,000.
Coyle "pointed out that there would be a lot more than that in the park on a typical day anyway". He asked if this would be taken into consideration when deciding if a licence was required.
However, he was advised to come back formally when he had more information, but that he should work on the basis that a licence would be needed.
Ireland’s largest theme park, Tayto Park is to lodge a planning application for its biggest attraction to date, an 'iconic' €14m steel roller-coaster ride in the coming days.
Owner of Tayto Park, Ray Coyle said on Thursday that the new roller-coaster will be the same height as the park's 32 metre high Cú Chulainn but will be 400 metres longer that the 1,082 metre long Cú Chulainn ride.
Mr Coyle said that the new roller-coaster "will copper-fasten the future of Tayto Park".
He said: "The new roller-coaster will be two roller-coasters in one. It will be a first for Europe and ensure the future of the park. If you don’t create something landmark every three of four years, your numbers will start going down and that is the road to closure."
Mr Coyle said that the plans for the roller-coaster will be lodged with Meath County Council next week.
He also said that the aim is to secure planning in 2019, build the roller-coaster in 2020 and open it to the public in 2021.
He confirmed that the cost of the roller-coaster will be €14m and will be able to accommodate 1,200 passengers per hour compared to the Cú Chulainn carrying 1,000 passengers per hour.
Mr Coyle was commenting as new accounts for Tayto Park which show that last year it recorded an 8pc rise in pre-tax profits to €3.65m.
This followed revenues increasing by 5pc to €17.533m - or an average of €92,770 a day in revenues for each of the 189 days Tayto Park was open last year.
Mr Coyle confirmed that 720,000 visitors came to Tayto Park last year and this year numbers will increase by around 3-4pc in spite of numbers down for the month of July due to the hot spell.
He added that Tayto Park’s Earnings Before Interest Depreciation Tax and Amortisation (EBITDA) are €7m for last year.
Mr Coyle said that he was "delighted" with the performance of Tayto Park in 2017 and 2018.
Mr Coyle opened Tayto Park "in a field in Co Meath" in October 2010. He said: "Nobody came for six months. I thought we would have to close it down but in the Easter of 2011 people started to come. You learn as you go along."
Mr Coyle said that the crowds coming to Tayto Park in 2018 will be the highest to date. He said: "Word of mouth is how most people come to Tayto Park - it accounts for around 60pc."
He said that the most popular attraction is the all wood Cú Chulainn roller coaster which opened in 2015.
He said that 40pc of visitors go to the Zoo at Tayto Park with 35pc doing the tour of the Tayto factory.
Mr Coyle also stated that Tayto Park receives a very strong trade from Northern Ireland accounting for 24-25pc of all customers.
Mr Coyle said that the park has been adding incrementally to its attractions each year.
The park has also been a strong employer in the local area - the 2017 accounts show that numbers employed last year totalled 296 with staff costs of €4.4m.
Tayto Park’s post tax profits last year were €3.1m after paying corporation tax of €549,402.
The company’s assets had a book value of €33.48m at the end of last year.
The coaster is the only thing we know of coming to the park next year, so I don't see what else it can possibly be, unless it is something we don't know about. Also, do Tayto Park even have to make their plans public?Yeah saw the construction pics before, but do we know for sure land clearing is for coaster and not different type of ride. I didn't see any planning permission coming for this which I presume is needed
I think €14m is way too small for it to be a Mack, Mack rides are expensive, and if it were to have nearly 5,000 ft of track, I'd expect something from the likes of Vekoma.