What's new

Swine Flu

Karen

Hyper Poster
Well as the cases reported are steadily increasing I was wondering if any one on CF has had/have/might of had/might have it.

As confusing as the above sentence is I am just as confused.

I have mild flu like symtoms (and hoping the stay mild) and as I work in a nursery next door to 2 schools that have confirmed cases, I called NHS Direct for advice. After questions the nurse told me its either flu or Swine flu. I didn't need to go to my GP, just stay home, drink plenty of fluids, rest and take painkillers. Call back if I need to ask anything else or if I get concerned. Not to bother the GP as they won't do anything more as they aren't bothering testing anymore or giving out tablets unless you have any other underlying medical conditions ie lung/heart problems, asthama.

Oh and I found out that you "could" be contagious upto a week before symptoms appear. Erm I got ill on thursday so erm beware those who were at the Live! Just remember I am NOT a "confirmed" case.

All I have now symptoms wise is a occasional tickerly cough and a bit tireder than normal I am considering returning to work tomorrow.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Someone in our 6th Form has it. With another 5 suspected cases.

Im bloody sure I had it months ago. I had a really intense flu then. Such a painfull bugger that lasted for a week and a half... dunno.

kimahri

CF Legend
Karen, please do not take the following questions offensively.

Are you elderly?
Do you have any illnesses in the past that have had an effect on your immune system?
Do you have a particilary crappy immune system to begin with?
Have you not yet been affected by normal flu yet?
Have you not yet received a flu jab yet?

If you answered yes then you're, for lack of a better word, ****ed.

However if you answed no to all of them then you should be fine.

At the end of the day, it's still flu. Which also kill people.

Karen

Hyper Poster
Flu..........what's that? I'm female I don't get "flu" :p

I don't think I've had "normal" Flu and I've had no flu jabs.

My main worry is if I have got swine flu and I'm working in an enviroment with young children (under 5's) and many grown-ups including several pregnant women. Also the Centre which the nursery is part of deals with preganancy and children from the word go.

mrclam

Giga Poster
kimahri said:
However if you answed no to all of them then you should be fine.

I think you'll find that unlike normal flu - swine flu has been most deadly in healthy young people.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Swine Flu < Man Flu ;)

I believe that someone from Chessie now has it, so probs won't see them for a while depending on what doctors/management say...

But imo, it's just been blown out of proportion and there are much worse diseases out there...

marc

CF Legend
10 people at work are confirmed with it.

We all have to use this hand gel everytime he come in the building, as if that will help.

So far I am ok, and if anyone will get it it will be me.

Today the person I work with has come back from holiday and says both him and his girl friend feel ill like they have the flu. I just think he wants another week off work lol.

If I get it I get it, but I dont want it. I have had the flu once and dont ever want it again thats for sure.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Is it worse than normal flu? I don't think there has been too many cases over here and nobody I know or anyone in work has caught it.

Wouldn't mind catching it if it gets me out of work for a while like normal flu would.

Jools

Giga Poster
I have been working at BT for work experience, and several people in my office have had it, and a friend of the person I was working with last week, and I keep sneezing and my belly keeps making noises which never happens, so maybe signs of it :?

Nicky

Hyper Poster
My friend has a suspected case and could have infected all my friends who went to Kos with her.

Hmm well at least I went to America instead and I've been fine.

My friends in Birmingham have had it and recovered.

marc

CF Legend
Think mark is coming down with the flu seeing where he works it's a big possibility he would get it. So if he has I will probably get it :(

marc

CF Legend
Well even if we did get it we should have enough time to recover :) better to get it now than next week.