What's new

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Yh absolutely. It definitely seems like that's gonna be the site too because they aren't gonna get rid of Nemesis. Plus, it looks like they are planning something that could be the same popularity as Nemesis, which is difficult to get cause it's such a popular rollercoaster
And all this is based on a survey asking guests about rides? What a leap.

And all this is based on a survey asking guests about rides? What a leap.
I'd rather get rid of Rita than Nemesis aha ?? Plus with that little millisecond SW9 drop on Twitter could mean that they are planning it. Especially with Wickerman being 2018, if Rita is removed in 2020 and it gives them 2020 and 2021 to construct SW9, then 2022 is 4 years since SW8 (Wickerman). The gap between 13 and Smiler is 4 years (including 2010 too)

Benenen

Hyper Poster
This is 100% speculation and what you want to happen. I'm all for speculation and blue skying but you've got to present the discussion to us as that rather than 'This is what they'll definitely do'. So far we don't have any substantial rumours about what or where SW9 will be.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I'd rather get rid of Rita than Nemesis aha ?? Plus with that little millisecond SW9 drop on Twitter could mean that they are planning it. Especially with Wickerman being 2018, if Rita is removed in 2020 and it gives them 2020 and 2021 to construct SW9, then 2022 is 4 years since SW8 (Wickerman). The gap between 13 and Smiler is 4 years (including 2010 too)
No it’s not, it’s a 3 year gap between Thirteen and the Smiler. But yeah, like calm down, a question to guests about how they found Rita is not confirmation of when and where SW9 is going to happen ?

Niles

Giga Poster
When sw9 or sw10 does eventually happen a blitz coaster would be a great addition especially if Rita goes, but for my Christmas wish I want something like that cross valley 200ft+ drop wood coaster John wardley designed.

While very very unlikely I can dream, wicker man made wood coasters seem more modern to the GP and I’m sure a 200ft drop wood coaster would be easily marketable. Only problem is the dam locals and local council who would hate the idea like before.

But yea, would not take the survey as much more than just them gathering some info, but if they wanted to get rid of a coaster for a new one Rita would get my vote or spinball.

When sw9 or sw10 does eventually happen a blitz coaster would be a great addition especially if Rita goes, but for my Christmas wish I want something like that cross valley 200ft+ drop wood coaster John wardley designed.

While very very unlikely I can dream, wicker man made wood coasters seem more modern to the GP and I’m sure a 200ft drop wood coaster would be easily marketable. Only problem is the dam locals and local council who would hate the idea like before.

But yea, would not take the survey as much more than just them gathering some info, but if they wanted to get rid of a coaster for a new one Rita would get my vote or spinball.
Yh absolutely. I am not taking this any more than just a survey but all things can start from somewhere, right?

Matt N

CF Legend
The thing is, I don't think Nemesis is overly popular among a lot of Alton Towers visitors these days; The Smiler and Wicker Man seem to be the top-rated rides among non-enthusiasts in general these days.

The thing is, I don't think Nemesis is overly popular among a lot of Alton Towers visitors these days; The Smiler and Wicker Man seem to be the top-rated rides among non-enthusiasts in general these days.
That is true. I just think because RITA was originally a plan b, after the cross valley woodie was shelved, I think that they can do so much better now

Niles

Giga Poster
Yh absolutely. I am not taking this any more than just a survey but all things can start from somewhere, right?

I agree that they do start somewhere but I have a questions, how was the question on the survey worded or is there a pic of it? Also there might have been similar questions comparing other attractions at other times in the year that no one commented on or noticed.

I’m not saying it did not happen but did you see the survey or did someone tell you or is I common knowledge that i missed?

Because maybe it does point to something more or maybe it’s nothing of note. I dunno but we can always speculate ?

I agree that they do start somewhere but I have a questions, how was the question on the survey worded or is there a pic of it? Also there might have been similar questions comparing other attractions at other times in the year that no one commented on or noticed.

I’m not saying it did not happen but did you see the survey or did someone tell you or is I common knowledge that i missed?

Because maybe it does point to something more or maybe it’s nothing of note. I dunno but we can always speculate ?
I was told there were guest feedback surveys on the machines in the 2019 season and also, I did see that the questions overall were asking the general public about Rita's popularity, so it can be compared on a Nemesis popularity and also, this could determine the value for money Rita is too, especially with the work on Stealth this season at Thorpe Park

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
“Something like Hagrid” is never going to be possible on a Merlin budget. Hagrid looks good and the experience is fun, but strip away all the cosmetics and you’re left with a mediocre coaster.

I have no faith in Merlin being able to maintain a complex Hagrid style Blitz coaster. Hagrid had elements not working (dog fart) when I rode it, so just imagine how a Merlin version would look after a year or two...especially if people are saying they might spite Rita due to maintenance costs! Why replace one money pit cred with another? Has anybody ever had a perfect, flawless run on DBGT? I’d love to eat my words!

An Intamin Blitz, or something like Asterix’s new cred, is a good shout but it must be on the Taron side of thrill. Not family or complex dark rides and stuff. ”Simple”, good fun and well designed. It doesn’t need a gimmick, a pretty dress or a good story...a simple thrill coaster will do. They tested and successfully managed that with Wicker Man (albeit with a basic story and a nice dress) so hopefully SW9 will be a step up.

Last edited:
“Something like Hagrid” is never going to be possible on a Merlin budget. Hagrid looks good and the experience is fun, but strip away all the cosmetics and you’re left with a mediocre coaster.

I have no faith in Merlin being able to maintain a complex Hagrid style Blitz coaster. Hagrid had elements not working (dog fart) when I rode it, so just imagine how a Merlin version would look after a year or two...especially if people are saying they might spite Rita due to maintenance costs! Why replace one money pit cred with another? Has anybody ever had a perfect, flawless run on DBGT? I’d love to eat my words!

An Intamin Blitz, or something like Asterix’s new cred, is a good shout but it must be on the Taron side of thrill. Not family or complex dark rides and stuff. ”Simple”, good fun and well designed. It doesn’t need a gimmick, a pretty dress or a good story...a simple thrill coaster will do. They tested and successfully managed that with Wicker Man (albeit with a basic story and a nice dress) so hopefully SW9 will be a step up.
Completely agree. I guess we'll keep our eyes peeled in 2020 for the end of the Thunder Rock Rally. Hopefully, on its last day, they play the Thunder Rock Rally Radio in memory of the UG Land era