What's new

Surf Rider Incident at Botton's

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Reports are coming in that Surf Rider at Botton's Pleasure Beach in Skegness, UK got stuck today - initial reports suggested it collapsed, however, it looks to have just go stuck awkwardly or partially collapsed. No reports of injuries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-14723194?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Skegness Standard Source

This is the 3rd incident to hit UK theme parks in the last week or so, after a boy fell from Excalibur 2 at Camelot and two people were injured on the log flume in Bridlington...

...But you all know the stats and you all know how safe parks actually are in comparison with other day-to-day risks you might face, such as driving.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Surf Rider 'Collapses' at Botton's - reports of injuries

OMG! I was on this 12 years ago and I felt like I was going to fall out! I said to the myself "it's only a matter of time before SOMEBODYDIES!!!" but Ididn't tell anyone else because they'd think I was some silly bint attention seeking, so I kept it to myself until just now and didn't just make it all up or anything!

I also saw firemen cutting off people's limbs in a desperate attempt to garner publicity for the event...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The News said:
A Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said there were no reports of injuries and firemen were using ropes to bring the riders down.

I checked before being flippant...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Moved to News & Rumours

I don't actually have much of an opinion on the story. Shame, glad no-one was hurt, not doing theme parks reputation any good, etc... :roll:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
"A number of back and neck injuries"

In other words the EXACT injuries cited to doctors up and down the country when trying to get benefits forms signed.

T0M

Hyper Poster
I live locally, but never have I spent so much time revising a article as news keepings coming in thick and fast with various changes in what's being reported.

It's frankly a joke that anything can be allowed to fail in this way. Inspection and maintenance is obviously inadequate.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Re: Surf Rider Incident at Botton's

Karen said:
I'm just putting what I have been told by a friend in skegness on holiday!

Sorry Karen, didn't mean for it to come across like that. I was just shutting off and saw your post. Didn't want to leave it looking like I was taking the piss out of seven people dead.

Your friend will have also heard the Chinese whispers, so it's not a problem. Though we've had some complete bollocks reported from the two accidents before this, hence my initial response.

sent from my bum via a fancy phone.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^^ You've only spent more time revising it because it's your local park and you have a personal interest. I'd probably do the same if it were Thorpe/CWOA or Paultons.

I'm a bit concerned with all these northern parks having accidents atm. Nothing untoward better happen when we visit LWV and FL in a few weekends time. Oh, wait, they're run by professionals.

Best wishes to those involved.

T0M

Hyper Poster
That's not really the reason (the place bores me and I've only been twice in the last 15 years), it's because even the BBC went from saying minor injuries, to NO injuries, to one potentially life-threatening injury. Just the nature of the news changing I guess - or people reporting what Pauline from Pontefract saw while she was at the burger than wi' kids.

As for your cheap swipe at northerners Ian, I hope a deer decapitates you on The Ultimate track :lol:

Martyn B

CF Legend
Inspection and maintenance is obviously inadequate.

I was at Bottons on Sunday, and Surf Rider was closed, with bit and pieces of it lying around, and it looked like it was 'clamped' in as if it was about to be folded up and taken away. So its very suspicious that less than 2 days later it falls apart!

_55027227_jex_1152588_de27-1.jpg

Ryadai

Roller Poster
I was there when it happened today. The ride had been having some maintenance for the past few days and it was when we arrived. There were a few men working around the side that fell during the accident - the stupid thing was they didn't do a test run after this! They just let people on! The first run after this, after a couple of loops one side let out a loud crash and it fell through the metal on the floor.

More than one person was in need of oxygen masks; I know there were at least two people that needed to be air-lifted to hospital and some had pain in their necks. It was distressing, especially for children. Absolutely ridiculous how it was handled - they still ran some rides as they were getting people off!

~~
New to this site also - hello!

marc

CF Legend
^Hi welcome to CF and thanks for the information, I hope you pass this on to the police etc as they are asking for people that saw it.

Terrible accident and they are lucky no one was badly hurt.

The place did not look that well kept 3 years ago when we went with people from CF. I think a few people rode this at the time?

The problem is we all want smaller parks to do well, but when things like this keep on happening to smaller parks how will they get through these hard times!

Ollie

CF Legend
^Looking at one of the other pictures in that article.
article-1035924-01FB78D300000578-91_468x575.jpg

Not the usual way you'd expect to be evacuated from a ride.

Has it said anywhere how people were evacuated from the ride today?