What's new

Sue does Texas (floods, snakes and a giant RMC)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I seem to be doing a lot of work at the moment for the oil drilling industry. This is the second June in a row that I’ve found myself in Houston, Texas. Last year, I tapped some holiday onto my trip, hired a car and drove out to Six Flags Fiesta Texas. I really enjoyed myself, so decided to repeat the idea this year. This time I trekked the 4 hours up to Six Flags Over Texas on the outskirts of Dallas (the new 4D vom-machine opening this year at SFFT was not enough to pull me back out west).

I came into Houston on a very bumpy flight with lots of storms and I got my first experience of air sickness - joy. The landing was also terrifying – the whole plane pitched left, then right several times, I guess due to the wind. It wasn’t until I got to the hotel that I realised the extent of the storms, which had turned downtown Houston into this…!!!

6499664-3x2-700x467.jpg

Despite the hotel basement being under water, all the lifts being out and fire alarms going off in the middle of the night, I survived the ‘FLOOD’. Had a bit of a look round Houston and took a boat trip to see the delights of the refineries along the Houston Ship Canal.

20150529_183355_zpsxgohkbqn.jpg

20150529_174039_zpsetfkgjbo.jpg

Work stuff complete and Houston finally off flood warning, I headed off early on a Saturday morning to pick up the hire car from George Bush airport. Then, there was nothing between me and the Corolla and…Dallas! Yee haw etc.

In reality, there was lots between Houston and Dallas, in the form of torrential rain (including lots of terrifying warning signs on the interstate that read ‘if water on road, turn around, don’t drown!), my first Ihop, and being pulled over by (very nice) Texas police for doing 85 in a 70. ‘But there were creds to get officer…’

20150530_100900_zpsgmvooeyq.jpg

Underwhelming, Ihop

I got to the park about 1pm I think and the rain thankfully stopped for the day. I quickly sorted out the world’s cheapest annual pass (less than £50 for every SF park for the whole year <3). As the park was open till 10pm, I decided to hit up the left of the park first, then go back to my hotel about 5pm for a quick shower and come back to do the right side and night riding :D

20150531_094908_zpsdb1cslco.jpg

20150530_133854_zps8aquv4e3.jpg

A rather wet entrance plaza

The first thing I noticed were the huge signs telling you not to enter with firearms. Nothing says 'welcome to our park' like being scanned for guns/knives. Ohh Texas, you’re so funny…*secretly terrified*.

20150530_181012_zpsu1vn1hx8.jpg

20150530_165758_zpsqsxupci2.jpg

The second thing I noticed was a sign saying that a number of rides, including New Texas Giant would be closed due to rain!!!! Seriously, first El Toro and now this… Thankfully, the lady at the desk said it should be operating soon, phew.

20150530_135817_zpsvddxhvb1.jpg

After a deep breath, the third thing I noticed is just how bloody gorgeous this park is. I mean, wow, it just ticks all my buttons! Especially the European area by the entrance. The initial layout was a little confusing – with La Vibora closed due to rain, I found myself in a dead end almost immediately and had to come back to find another way over to…

New Texas Giant, which was operating! A 15 minute queue later and I was in the hilarious station - which has a chicken coop area for people who wuss out of the ride (and makes appropriate chicken noises as you pass through). I’d hate to work on it but as a guest it was fab. The trains are…odd. Is it a bull or a car, a western or a racetrack?? And what’s with all the clear plastic fitted round the sides that obscure the view? None of it mattered though as the ride was awesome. A cracking first drop followed by buckets and buckets of airtime, plus sideways airtime and the best: airtime in tunnels – and I was in the middle of the train. I rate it far higher than the only other RMC I’ve been on, Iron Rattler, which has one fab drop but then doesn’t really do anything else. I was definitely looking forward to a night ride on this beast.

20150530_150435_zps5evostjn.jpg

20150530_141833_zpsqwbhlh75.jpg

20150530_141842_zpsk7peesau.jpg

20150530_141839_zpsx2zbc7s9.jpg

20150530_141740_zps12q7uodh.jpg

Next door was Titan, the ginormous old hyper towering over everything on that side of the park. But how the hell do you get into the queue – I finally found the entrance after going through a picnic area and entering the queue for a breakdance. This park seriously needs some signage and better ride entrances. The ride was walk on. I headed straight to the back and got settled in. It was at this point that I came face to face with the parks RIDICULOUS rule ‘you must have two riders in the back seat’. W. T. F. I’ve never seen this anywhere else, not even at other SF parks! I just don’t understand what it achieves?! So they had to open all the restraints and I had to swap with two people in the row in front of me. I was not a happy Sue. Still, second-to-last row gave an amazing ride. Considering its age, it wasn’t too rough, and apart from dithering about at the top for a while, it’s very enjoyable and the views are great. I was not prepared, however, for the seriously intense helix! Maybe it was the heat/humidity, but Titan gave me more grey spots that I305 (the only ride that’s ever come close to doing that to me before). The exit shop was completely flooded due to all the rain earlier – People were literally splashing around between the aisles!

20150530_135017_zpsnpnd4oce.jpg

I had planned to do the old classic, Shockwave next. But exiting from Titan took me near to some very interesting fake rockwork and my curiousness got the better of me. Heading into the queue I realised it was the family Premier Runaway Mountain (not to be confused with the similarly named Runaway Mine Train, also at the park!). The queue was great, lots of theming, nice shady trees and blood ponds with crocs lurking <3. I’m a bit of a premier fangirl and this did not disappoint. I managed to bag a front seat on this fab little ride in the dark. It had lots of sudden twists and turns and a real feeling of speed. Not sure on the restraints though that came in really high up and resulted in major boob squish </3.

20150530_153805_zps6xrqkjzo.jpg

20150530_153755_zps0rds56kz.jpg

20150530_153727_zpspjeg2mmv.jpg

A concerted effort later, I found the way into Shockwave past the tower. I’m not sure if the tower was closed but no one seemed bothered on such a humid day.

20150530_160559_zpsiuzdyolf.jpg

Unloved in the heat

The longest queue of the day, but I finally got a seat somewhere near the middle of the train on Shockwave. This was a sensible choice as it was showing it’s age and was a little rough in places. Again, good for its age though. Interesting that this ride had the longest queue - and I heard several guests comparing other rides to it all day – it must have a very special place in the hearts of local people. And I can see why – the double loop is forceful and the rest, despite some square-ish corners, is very fun. A slightly disturbing (although I’m sure deliberate) feature is the swaying of the track.

20150530_161250_zps4rsyrbak.jpg

20150530_160716_zpsnlr38evj.jpg

20150530_160717_zpsrztbaxrf.jpg

20150530_161913_zpsgrs3k2ud.jpg

By then I was a sticky, sweaty mess and decided to head back to my hotel for a shower. Panda Express was closed so I grabbed some KFC-rip off chicken on the way and double-checked, but La Vibora was still closed. My hotel was only 5 minutes away so I was back in the park in less than an hour, and as the evening arrived, a fresh wind picked up and I began to feel a bit more human.

20150530_165219_zpsg3vktqul.jpg

20150530_164938_zpsj1c5whd9.jpg

Food and wildlife break (Red Cardinal cred?)

I headed off B&M-bound to the right of the park but ended up detouring to pick up the woodie (which I think had just opened). To get to Judge Roy Scream, you had to go through the kiddie area and under a tunnel under the entrance road, basically outside of the rest of the park. It was quite odd! It looks (and rides) like a really old woodie, despite being opened as late as 1980. It’s very fun though – the sort of thing you could sit on all day, with just a whisper of airtime and beautiful views across the lake. Had a nice chat in the queue with someone from Louisiana who told me all about the rivalry between there and Texas! People seemed to have come a very long way to this park.

20150530_181714_zpssz946nfj.jpg

20150530_181744_zpsx63iwwab.jpg

20150530_182435_zpsrk6o1xi8.jpg

20150530_183711_zpsh8h6yial.jpg

This was nearby. No way in hell I was riding it.

I ignored the kiddie cred (I’ve decided I’m too old and ashamed to attempt riding them on my own) and headed back into the main park area. I nipped down to attempt the mine train, but it was closed because of all the rain and the queue line was flooded. I popped back about 3 or 4 times over the evening, but it never opened. Oh well, there was lots of other stuff to occupy me.

20150530_184020_zpsgyhcalj8.jpg

I spied a single rider queue on the spiny Gerst. I had a little bet with myself that it was called Pandemonium…and yep. SF originality knows no bounds. Had a little chat on the way up the lift hill with the people I’d been shoved in with. Everyone in Texas is so friendly and chatty, it’s lovely. Although, one of the girls was traumatised once the ride started and screamed the whole way round. Haha. One and done.

20150530_195524_zpsu5xbzpzr.jpg

Couldn’t quite believe I’d got to this point in the day and still not ridden the B&M! I hastily put this to rights and got a back row seat. Something very odd happened on this ride. I pulled down the restraint and thought I'd actually done it a bit too tight. Then the ride op came and actually jumped up on the restraint to pop it in again even further till I could hard;y breath. She even asked if I wanted it tighter still?! But I don’t think it can have made the last ratchet properly as I swear halfway round it came up one (I didn’t even know that was possible and it slightly unnerved me!). What is it with the weird back row operations at this park!

The ride, as usual for a batman, was intense, fast and fun. It’s kinda sad that I don’t really get excited about a batman clone anymore, but I do still enjoy them immensely. So many high-intensity rides in one park <3

20150530_185416_zpsh9xvljl7.jpg

20150530_184312_zpslpktnetj.jpg

Now if I’m, honest, I’d been putting off Mr Freeze till the very last, and I was more than a bit nervous as I got in the queue. Walking through the spooky warehouse on my own didn’t help either – it’s a great queue line though, I love all the crazy paint and industrial feel. This queue had also succumbed to the floodwater. Splosh! Splosh!

20150530_191214_zpsiofszshk.jpg

Once through the odd left then right batching, I was in the very impressive station. I opted for front of the train (as I don’t really like heights) and shoved myself in the seat before I could let the fear take hold of me. Got chatting with a nice girl who really loved the ride which made me a bit less nervous. Then, before I could even blink, there was that Premier launch. What can I say, the whole thing was a blur, but I remember delightful weightlessness and really odd sensations going backwards around the tophat and then some great speed going forwards. Wow! I haven’t been that disorientated since Psyke Underground. I leapt off the ride and ran straight back round again for another 3 goes, in the front and in the back. The launch is just right – enough to take your breath away but not as intense as an Intamin/S&S. Lovely floaty airtime. The ridiculous station with its queue eating (and amazingly cool to watch) double train loading system. And the fab ride ops who had it running like clockwork and who spurred on the crowd getting them to count down, or sometimes tricking them so that the launch was a surprise. LOVE it <3.

20150530_185540_zpsdgecqfyz.jpg

20150530_200416_zpscerm0e5g.jpg

I would have loved to have had more re-rides on Mr Freeze but the long day and humidity were finally catching up with me, and the intensity and barrage to the senses from Freeze were wearing. So I headed over to the shooty dark ride, Hall of Justice, to recover. It was quite good for that generation of ride (we're all spoiled these days with the 3D, Transformer style shooters I guess). But then, I'm not really a comic book fan so it's probably lost on me.

20150530_195523_zpsldihn7pi.jpg

20150530_184220_zpszcdswr6p.jpg

Can any comic book goons explain?

By then it was time to head back over to the other side of the park. As the sun was setting, I headed to Judge Roy Scream for a ride watching the sunset over the lake. Yet again, no back row for me :(

20150530_202349_zpsdaxxepph.jpg

When it got properly dark, I had a re-ride on Titan. The helix didn’t affect me quite as much second time round, so I’m blaming the heat for some of the effect.

20150530_211513_zpsyjpbzatm.jpg

20150530_211257_zpswrjrijux.jpg

Then I did a few re-rides of NTG. I never managed a back row ride in this (bastards) but I did get second from back and front. Such an impressive ride at night. The first drop is lush all lit up in the dark and the sense of speed is heightened. Then, there’s the lights turned on in the first two tunnels, followed by being thrown into the final pitch black tunnel. So, so good – just buckets of fun.

20150530_213221_zpsmotj59bd.jpg

20150530_213121_zpscfcdirci.jpg

20150530_211120_zpshusjcgaq.jpg

Finally, I left enough time just to have one final check if La Vibora was running. I couldn’t quite believe my luck, but there it was! I love this whole area of the park around the swinging ship and it’s especially gorgeous at night. The Gotham area may be much easier to find your way round, but it’s bland by comparison to this little corner. I don’t really get it, but people seemed to think this was a kiddie ride – I was the only one in the queue without a child and felt a bit self-conscious. There were even cartoons being played in the queue! I’ve been on a few bobsled coasters now, including the one at Efteling, and consider them quite adult, even ‘unsafe-feeling’ rides. These had a slightly different car design to Efteling’s, where you sit one person behind each other (like in a Swatzy). I had to get in with a mum and her kid which was a bit weird, but oh well, I got the cred. And it was great fun whizzing around in the dark and I love the snake theme and brightly coloured track. I did manage to badly whack my knee though – it’s quite violent in places.

20150530_205221_zpsikabo8ge.jpg

20150530_203502_zpsulf7wl6y.jpg

All that was left was to wander around the pretty western/Europe areas, soaking up the ambiance and then say goodbye to this fabulous park.

20150530_204930_zpsmwte5k4p.jpg

20150530_203158_zps7aw1r0bw.jpg

20150530_203042_zpsfe9zboic.jpg

Also has a little nosy at the heritage area - otherwise known as France!!?

20150530_202953_zpsfcoruodz.jpg

I can’t wait to get back! If I ever do, I’m staying in the La Quinta, which has a great view of the woodie. I love the way the woodie and Shockwave run right round the edge of the park – it gives you a great view as you come in. I took some photos that night of the woodie over the lake. I came back and took a few more in the early morning too, before my drive back into Houston.

20150530_215939_zps5p3wrav9.jpg

20150530_222018_zps4grbsphl.jpg

20150530_222023_zpsmtj13zch.jpg

20150530_220415_zps0bshzvtb.jpg

20150531_093250_zps3hw414z1.jpg

20150531_093247_zpsqeyodrus.jpg

20150531_093513_zps7yuiucuj.jpg

20150531_093118_zps0mbbfavy.jpg

20150531_093115_zpsqjahe4q1.jpg

There was also a geocache lurking around this side of the lake and I managed to find it, but not before nearly putting my hand into a hole with a sleeping snake! Oh Texas!

20150531_094246_zpsucnsj4au.jpg

‘Why did it have to be snakes?’

Some final thoughts on Texas as a tourist...
The people are so, so friendly and the food is ommnomnom (best steak ever).
But the irony of dressing your children in a pro-life shirt while queuing for a children's ride themed to guns, was not lost me...

20150530_161514_zps58wegnjp.jpg

20150530_195257_zpsx9kk3n9p.jpg

Overall SFOT is an amazingly gorgeous park with a fantastic ride line-up and lots of big/high g-force rides. I'm going to have to make room for it in my top 10 parks list. Mr Freeze and NTG were the stand out rides for me, especially at night, but the filler rides were also of a really high calibre. With the exception of the ridiculous back row rule, the operations were pretty spot on too. Hope I get to go back next year :D

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Thanks for this report. I am going to Over Texas in August and wasn't really that familiar with the park. I knew what it had as far as a ride lineup but not much else. It looks great.

How does it compare to any of the other Six Flags parks you have been to?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
It's my favourite of the SF parks I've visited so far (just in front of Great Adventure because of its theming). It's got character and charm behind it unlike most SF parks which I usually find pretty soulless places. It comes alive at night and the ride line up is good and varied.

I'd put the SF parks I've visited so far in this order:
Over Texas
Great Adventure
New England
America
Fiesta Texas

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Really fab report!

Six Flags parks always get a reputation for being bland, but some of them look quite lovely from photos, like this one. Titan looks blegh to me though. Rides only made to make you grey out <//3

The cars of La Vibora used to be the cars of Bob in Efteling. Efteling sold them to this park because they wanted to up the capacity by having two people in every row, instead of one. Interesting thought that the coaster car that I had my very first coaster ride on is now somewhere in Texas :p

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Mysterious Sue said:
I came face to face with the parks RIDICULOUS rule ‘you must have two riders in the back seat’. W. T. F. I’ve never seen this anywhere else, not even at other SF parks! I just don’t understand what it achieves?!
I've never been to SFOT on my own (with the family and Chris aka RCF the first time & Ian the second), so I wasn't aware of the rule. However, I did run into this problem during my solo visit to Lagoon near Salt Lake City, Utah. They have the same 'no single riders in the back row' on all their coasters as well as 'no single riders in the front row'. I asked the park manager about the policy and he explained that "no one can see what a rider is up to in the back row by themselves" seeming to hint that someone to intentionally hurt themselves if they are alone back there where they aren't observed by other riders. So I asked about the front row, since a single rider up to no good could easily be seen by everyone else on the train. His reply was that "although everyone could watch the single rider in the front row, no one would be able to stop them from doing anything harmful." This all seemed very over-the-top to me, so I didn't ask any further questions since he got an employee to ride every coaster in the front with me so that I could film.

As far as the park, it's one of my favorites, but I also really like SFFT. Ian and I discussed both parks quite a bit during his trip over here in 2013. I gave SFOT the edge and he liked SFFT more, probably because the entire kiddie area at SFOT was too claustrophobic for his liking. So much so that he practically screamed "GET ME OUTTA HERE" when we took that right turn after entering the park. We should have done like Sue and made a left toward La Vabora instead of heading toward the Star Flyer first, but I don't have the same feeling about the kiddie area as Ian does. Anyone else who has been feel like Ian?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I did feel rather odd having to walk right through the middle of the kiddie section to get to the woodie. It's a bit hemmed in I guess but I wouldn't go so far as to say I felt uncomfortable. Still, maybe Ian, being a guy, felt more conspicuous.

As for SFFT - I have been twice now, but the first time, I had such a bad experience it tainted the park for me. Only three rides open for half the day and only three coasters by the end. Plus the staff were awful. I did more the next visit but I thought that both the RMC and Superman were overrated and the park in general wasn't as good as SFOT in terms of feeling/theming. The log flume was good though.

TilenB

Strata Poster
ECG said:
I've never been to SFOT on my own (with the family and Chris aka RCF the first time & Ian the second), so I wasn't aware of the rule. However, I did run into this problem during my solo visit to Lagoon near Salt Lake City, Utah. They have the same 'no single riders in the back row' on all their coasters as well as 'no single riders in the front row'. I asked the park manager about the policy and he explained that "no one can see what a rider is up to in the back row by themselves" seeming to hint that someone to intentionally hurt themselves if they are alone back there where they aren't observed by other riders. So I asked about the front row, since a single rider up to no good could easily be seen by everyone else on the train. His reply was that "although everyone could watch the single rider in the front row, no one would be able to stop them from doing anything harmful." This all seemed very over-the-top to me, so I didn't ask any further questions since he got an employee to ride every coaster in the front with me so that I could film.

So I assume they find it very difficult to efficiently operate their Wild Mouse?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Guess I should have phrased that better to exclude the wild mouse as I don't think the policy is in effect for it.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Of all the annoying things people do on the Internet, nitpicking is the WORST. You knew what ECG meant, get over it <//3

SFOT is a really fab park. It had the all-American feel of somewhere like Knoebel's but with a bigger and better ride line-up. Glad you had a good day and the rain didn't spite too much for you!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
To be fair, he has a point though. You can't operate that policy throughout the park and then just exclude it for one ride because that ride has different cars. Sounds like a BS excuse to me though. I never had a problem front row, only back. I assumed it had something to do with weighting trains.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I loved reading this report <3 Can't wait to visit in October, I just hope all the Halloween theming and antics don't spoil some of the park's charm.

I'm glad you really liked NTG; we don't seem to hear much about it now in comparison to the newer RMC's.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Seriously though. Why not just ban all single people from the park? I mean, they could hurt themselves anywhere in the park, not just on the coasters... Why would anyone that'd want to hurt themselves go on a coaster to do it? It's all so weird and overly excessive...

TilenB

Strata Poster
^^^ Actually 4 out of their 10 coaster (perhaps 5, I'm unsure on which cars Cannibal will use) are such that the rule can't possibly be applied to. I agree, it's a stupid rule and that's the point I was trying to make with my post, but it doesn't really seem like any good coasters are affected by it (apart from their Schwarzkopf, perhaps).

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^^ As a frequent single rider, banning single people from the park would be a terrible mistake. Lots of people are single riders, including almost everyone on here(when they visit parks). The best solution IMO would to add in the Grouper system. It(almost) eliminates the problem of 1 person in a row, but you can't really pick seats(but if you're nice, you can ask to sit in the front or back). But it's an alright price to pay for not having a stupid policy like 'No Single Riders in row X'.

Great report Sue! Sucks that you went to Texas the time it was flooded. Glad you liked NTG and Mr. Freeze. IMO, if you can find someone else to ride with, try and go for the back for Mr. Freeze. The airtime is SO much better back there.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ Yeah, I was being half-sarcastic. I often visit parks alone because there are no fellow goons nearby :p But I don't think there is anything that needs to be solved. The policy is stupid and shouldn't exist in my opinion.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
TilenB said:
^^^ Actually 4 out of their 10 coaster (perhaps 5, I'm unsure on which cars Cannibal will use) are such that the rule can't possibly be applied to. I agree, it's a stupid rule and that's the point I was trying to make with my post, but it doesn't really seem like any good coasters are affected by it (apart from their Schwarzkopf, perhaps).
OK, to clarify - the Lagoon coasters affected by the policy when I visited three years ago are: Bat, Bombora, Colossus the Fire Dragon, Jet Star 2, Roller Coaster and Wicked. So six coasters at the time with perhaps Cannibal to be added later this year.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Oh I got back row on Freeze. I made sure of that in the end. I sat in it once on my own and got turfed out and was made to sit in the second from back row. The next time I managed to talk some random guy to ride with me lol

Never did manage back in NTG though :(

davidm

Strata Poster
I didnt get back row on NTG either (on the 2 days after you were there) - I assumed it was just in case you flew out of the thing and noone would have noticed ;-)

I also stayed at that LaQuinta the next 2 nights after you were there ; splendid location huh :)