What's new

Submission and Enterprise to close?

Ollie

CF Legend
From Towerstimes.
Towerstimes said:
Several rumours have been circulating in recent weeks that Alton Towers have taken the decision to close the Enterprise and Submission rides, found in the parks X Sector, for the duration of the 2012 season. These rumours, in addition to the absence of both rides on the parks main 'Fastrack' page, have led TowersTimes to believe they will indeed face closure.

The rides, which provide support for headline attraction Oblivion, boost the thrill ride line up at the theme park and are two of only four rides in the park which truly go "upside down". Although Enterprise is one of the parks oldest residents, the ride is actually found at many theme parks, including Thorpe Park in Surrey. Submission, which was new for the 2001 season, is found less commonly and in recent years has only ever operated one arm of the available two.

Both rides offer height restrictions less than all the other thrill rides in the park, with Submission suitable for those over 1.2metres tall and Enterprise just 0.9metres. Ripsaw and Nemesis, the parks other true 'looping' attractions, are both for those 1.4metres and over only.

Taking into account the current closure of the Beastie rollercoaster, this means that there will be three standing attractions at the theme park out of service for the 2012 season.

TowersTimes is currently unaware of the reasons why the rides are being closed, although it is not believed it is due to the development of the SW7 rollercoaster for 2013, which is in a different part of X Sector.

With rising gate prices and the hope for rising attendance at the theme park, it remains to be seen whether closed thrill rides will have an impact on guest satisfation during 2012.
LINK

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Old(ish), unpopular, unreliable is most probably why they're shutting them. Annoying though, as this year was one of few chances I have/had to ride Submission. It's always been broken or I didn't have time.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
*reads title*
ffffuuuu.jpg

Martyn B

CF Legend
I never actually go on them any more, so from a selfish point of view, I dont really care. BUT, for everyone else, going all that way down there, for ONE ride? Its a hell of a ride, I know, but still.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Good, they're both old hat and boring now. Two of only four 'upside down' rides at the park, you say? Do the general public still make a big deal about the upside down thing, or are they bored of that and wanting something exciting and new? I'd go for the latter, hence why rides like these two vile pieces of work are losing their place, not just at Alton but at all theme parks.

marc

CF Legend
I am glad they might be going as well, but how many flat rides does Alton now have?

I think they need some more.

Ben

CF Legend
I hate them, but, I don't think they should rip them out and replace them with nothing, cause, as vile as flats ARE, they have a place in parks.

Eh, whatever.

Mark

Strata Poster
I wouldn't be sad to see them gone but to be honest, I find it a bizarre. Like Ben says, the park needs flats. They are important as queue soakers etc. A loss of two rides isn't going to help matters.

These rumours, in addition to the absence of both rides on the parks main 'Fastrack' page, have led TowersTimes to believe they will indeed face closure.

Or they are just not offering Fastrack for those attractions???

nadroJ

CF Legend
But, TowersTimes said it, and, THEY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT ALTON :0

I think there is a fun discussion to be had here about the importance of flat rides and the place they hold in a park though =]

Mark

Strata Poster
Chuckled when I read that UC lol.

At the moment this is definitely being filed in the rumour/complete trash section.

And indeed Jordan. Interesting discussion piece.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Mark said:
Or they are just not offering Fastrack for those attractions???
Yeah, considering the queues when I went last year were no longer than 10 minutes there's not much point in Fastacking 'em.

Mark

Strata Poster
Besides, if they were going to take the time and effort to remove the ride names from the Fasttrack listing because the rides are being removed... surely they would have removed it from the MAIN ridelistings too???

AT.jpg

Clearly someone hasn't done their research properly...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I wasn't even aware these even HAD Fast-track...

Why would they close them for a year anyway? They might close them briefly when construction begins properly, but it makes no sense to close them all year...

Because they don't have fast-track... Unbelievable...

Mark

Strata Poster
They may have been on one of the massive fast track packages they off perhaps? Perhaps the few that bought the big package were allowed to go via exit.

I don't see how something apparently being removed from a list adds any fuel to a rumour either.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I was hoping this was true when I saw the thread title. Whilst I have nothing against Enterprise, I really do hate Submission. It's painful, boring, and just a waste of time. It barely operates at full capacity these days. Not that it needs to, barely anyone queues for it. Remove Enterprise and Submission, get a nice small frisbee* to replace them with some epic theming and once SW7 is there, jobs a good'un.

*Yes, I know, height restrictions. Blah, blah, blah.

spicy

Giga Poster
I think they were only ever on the 'ultimate' fast track anyway.

I can't see them removing them, it would totally kill X-sector for next season.

AJ

Giga Poster
I got Ultimate fast track for the first time i went, and fast tracked both these rides... You went up the exit, but it was so awkward cause we were the ONLY ones fast tracking....

These rides are gash, and although submission is 'different' ..... GETRID.

STC

Mega Poster
The thing about the rides being removed from Fasttrack is in addition to the TowersTimes team having been leaked information about this from inside the park. I also heard the same rumour a few weeks back. Like the team said on the thread on TTF, they don't post news stories like this unless they are very sure that they are true.

tl;dr the Fasttrack thing is just because they don't want to get anyone in trouble at the park, these "rumours" are true.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Well if the rumours are true then fine, I don`t care, I detest both of these rides. Having said that, Alton arnt exactly overrun with flat rides. If anything Alton Towers would be a safer place for men`s nuts without Submission.