What's new

Stupid things the GP have said

Blaze

Hyper Poster
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats quite possibly the best I've heard.

STC

Mega Poster
"Supreme CREAM?! What the HELL is that?!"

- heard standing outside Knott's waiting to go in

jayjay

Giga Poster
I don't have much. But I did hear some teenage kids who wanted to go on the "Log Fume" at Alton.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Neal said:
Calling a Dive Machine Train a Car! (Mind you a lot of enthusiasts are caught out on this as well :lol: )

I term train by having more than one carriage, hence Dive Machines have trains, whilst Spinners have cars...

Brookes

Giga Poster
^^That really annoys me aswell when they don't know any of the names.

"Oh let's go on that red one", and as jayjay said some think every log flume is just called "log flume" or for example, when they say the Nemesis, instead of just Nemesis.

andrus

Giga Poster
A lot of people in stealth's queue still talks about how awesome it is hence "it's europe's fastest coaster" when it in reality is baco who possesses that throne..

andrus

Giga Poster
Haha, I got another one! One person at liseberg shouted to his friend that he wanted to go on the "flo rida" refering to flume ride :lol:

Pierre

Strata Poster
I hate these topics, the arrogance in it reeks, so what if they refer to Rita as 100mph, so what if they refer to Kumali as "that big blue one that swings over the lake" or Velocity as "the motorbikes!"... so what if some peoples imagination goes a little wild in thinking they were going faster than they were, highger than they were, felt it was more dangerous than it actually was.... I can guarantee you the General Public have a hell of a lot more fun when they visit a park than when an enthusiast does.

Some enthusiasts make it sound like a chore.

Wow. Rant over I guess.

wash

Mega Poster
^True, you can't expect someone who isn't an enthusiast to be familiar with ride names, stats, and workings, but sometimes a person makes a comment which leaves you no choice but to believe that they are too dense to be aware of the world around them. There's a topic like this over at TPR with over a hundred pages that I looked at once. Take a look and you'll see what I mean.
The stupidest thing I've heard was that the nets after the station on Montu are there to catch you if you fall out so that the crocodiles won't eat you. This makes no sense because the net is obviously not mean to bear the weight of a person, it would take a miracle for someone to fall out of a seat leaning back on a flat bit of track by accident even if the restraints failed, and no company would operate a ride with the kind of hazards supposedly present.
Honorable mention goes to the widely-held belief that trains commonly get stuck in loops when the power goes out. This shouldn't make sense, even to a non-enthusiasts. Gravity powered coasters have no running rails, so unless the entire structure is carrying a charge, it's not electrically powered. Second, if it was powered, why would there need to be a chain lift (again, clearly visible). And if we are to assume that the train would immediately stop when the power cuts off, then the power would have been responsible for every bit of momentum at any point of the ride. If that was the case, why would the lift hill be so slow, when the rest of the ride is fast? Why would there be a lift hill in the first place? All that aside, if the coaster "lost power" , why would it come to an instantaneous halt? It would still be carried forward by momentum even if its source of locomotion was cut off at the top of the loop. And even if the train came to an instant stop, what are the odds that it would be perfectly balanced at the top of the loop (with cobra rolls and batwings its a different story, I'll admit)? There's just no logic behind this idea.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I hate misplaced "The"s. The Oblivion, The Nemesis, The Megafobia etc.

I also once heard someone in Flamingo Land refer to Dragon Khan as "That dragon ride in Spain", I wanted to slap his silly face.

Error

Strata Poster
One day, at Matterhorn at CP:
"Let's swing back and worth even though the ride host said not to!"
"Could you stop doing that?"
"**** off!"

In line:
"I heard the mine ride had 20 cars at one point."

Working Skyride:
"Spit off the edge, they won't care!" I was standing right there.

In line:
"Maverick original had a giant jump in it, but they took it out cause everyone kept dying."

Yeah, I have so much fun.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Brookes said:
^^That really annoys me aswell when they don't know any of the names.

"Oh let's go on that red one", and as jayjay said some think every log flume is just called "log flume" or for example, when they say the Nemesis, instead of just Nemesis.

Oh yeah, my post wasn't a typo. I think it was funny while we were there. Getting the name wrong (which is excusable), and not being able to say "flume."

Brookes

Giga Poster
^Oh I didn't see the l was missing haha, and another I have is when we were broken down on air's lift and some girl said, "it's good we didn't break down when we were upside down, or else we would have got stuck upside down".

CMonster

Giga Poster
We got stuck on the lift hill once on Montu while in the front row, and I looked back and saw some lady sweating and praying in the second row. :lol:

And I HATE it when people add unnecessary "The's" to a ride's name, or even worse call it "the big red ride that goes straight down." I just want to drown the ignorants in truth!!!!

:wink:

Tjex1

Roller Poster
In the queue for X No Way Out the people in front of us said "Did you know that X No Way Out broke a while ago and the didn't fix it, thats why it goes backwards!".

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Tjex1 said:
In the queue for X No Way Out the people in front of us said "Did you know that X No Way Out broke a while ago and the didn't fix it, thats why it goes backwards!".

Scratch what I said last time, that is easily the funniest coaster related thing I have ever heard!

Even funnier than the ones mentioed above about it stopping upside down. That is nothing to do with knowing a lot about coasters, that is just dim in every sense.