What's new

Steepest roller coaster drop in the world?

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
I know that Takabisha at Fuji Q is, with a drop of 121 degrees, credited as being the world's steepest roller coaster, but why isn't Garaland's 'Sequoquia Adventure' the holder of this record, seeing as it has a drop of 180 degrees?

Takabisha:
roller-coaster_1941354i.jpg

Sequoquia Adventure:
SequoiaAdventure.jpg

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's about "free fall". The Sequoia Adventure inversion is controlled all the way by brakes

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Part of me wants to say "what about insane / other ball coasters"...

the other part of me wants to say "who cares?!".....

Lofty

CF Legend
I'd class "Steepest" drop as a combination of the angled decent the rider's take in the train/car & also if it's a brake/controlled drop.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
9oksbo0027ajimtr70i7l0.jpg

That.

90 degrees, vertical. Technically the steepest a coaster can go. Anything beyond vertical has a shallower drop, just more 'upside-downy'.

So I'd say whatever coaster that has the longest section of 'vertical' track would therefore be the steepest coaster? I'm not sure what that is, possibly Kingda Ka?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The pedant in me agrees, the couldn't be arsed part of me says "let them say what they want" :lol:

Gazza

Giga Poster
Pedantically, I reckon all forms of brakes are cheating, so that rules out Dive Machines & El Locos, and Takabisha.

So technically, under my stricter definition, it would be Saw.

Of course, thats not the way the world works, so Takabisha it is.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The second drop on Griffon has the brakes as a MCBR but it just falls over the edge from flat to vertical without a "stop". Not really any different from cresting the hill on Saw.

T0M

Hyper Poster
The whole thing is a load of bollocks. It was amazing when Oblivion came out, to see a drop that steep was extremely scary.

They credited Mumbo Jumbo as the steepest drop and that is braked, so they should give it to Sequoquia Adventure as far as I'm concerned.

But frankly anything beyond 90 degrees is a waste of forces. Saw's drop is poor compared to Oblivion's - and even Jubilee Odyssey's.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Gentlemen:

Manta09.jpg

jnjks9g7v30og8004n1cpf.jpg

I count at least 400 degrees. Or about 9pi/4. No controlling brakes or anything.

Gazza

Giga Poster
The second drop on Griffon has the brakes as a MCBR but it just falls over the edge from flat to vertical without a "stop". Not really any different from cresting the hill on Saw.
True, forgot about the second drop, but at the same time those second drops don't quite reach vertical....

And Vild Svinet opened before SheiKra/Griffon anyway.