What's new

Steel Coasters Listed Attractions.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
So I know this question sounds a bit stupid but could steel coasters in the UK be made into listed buildings. I know that the scenic railway was made into a grade 2 listed building. If this did happen would Nemesis ever achieve this status. Discuss away.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's very difficult to get anything less than 100 years old say to be listed.

Even harder is a structure like a coaster.

There's a chance that in 50 years Nemesis may be considered depending on circumstances, but chances are it'll be gone within 10 - 15 years.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Interesting I thought for nemesis it all depends how popular and how much it would cost. Speaking of that I thought it had been retracked a few times.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Things only get listed if they're of cultural importance. It has nothing to do with popularity. It's really all about what "would be lost to the world if it was no longer with us". Nemesis really isn't all that just yet.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
furie said:
It's very difficult to get anything less than 100 years old say to be listed.

Even harder is a structure like a coaster.

There's a chance that in 50 years Nemesis may be considered depending on circumstances, but chances are it'll be gone within 10 - 15 years.

I've read that it was built to last, until at least 2040.....I don't know where though!

Darren B

Giga Poster
jj23w said:
I thought they retracked it once I believe.

You do realise Nemesis is a STEEL coaster, right?

Woodie get retracked, not steel. Steel coasters would have a complete section replaced, you can't retrack a steel coaster.

And no, I've never heard of Nemesis having any section of it replaced.

Twister Zone

Roller Poster
I doubt something like Nemesis would get listed & I doubt that Alton would want it to be. The ride may be fine just now but what about in 10 or 20 years time, people started to complain about the Corkscrew hurting them so eventually Alton decided to take it out no matter how much a classic it was. If Nemesis was listed the park would have no control over the ride.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Wouldn't also listing the coaster mean they couldn't do major refurbishments to it? A structure subject to dynamic forces would eventually develop hairline cracks and other goodies as a result of years of wear and tear. Unless sections are replaced, a steel coaster wouldn't be usable after a few decades.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
On the U.S. side, the Coney Island Cyclone is on the National Register of Historic Places (deemed worth preserving and receives federal funding for preservation), and the Giant Dipper at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk is a National Historic Landmark (officially recognized for national-level historical significance, though not protected). Leap-the-Dips, the oldest roller coaster in the world, is on both lists.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^Yeah, it's like how a load of the woodies at Blackpool are Historical Landmarks, but the UK's only protected coaster, I believe, is the Scenic Railway in Dreamland.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
I thought listed things could be modified. For example my home town has a historic church grade 2 and our hall is grade 2 and they are getting refurbished. Scenic is the only protected building.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Refurbished and modified aren't the same thing. At all.