What's new

Stealth..3 trains - why?!

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
As the topic says, I'm wondering why Thorpe have 3 trains for Stealth when the quickest turnaround is achieved from 2?
Since they have 3, they might as well extend the coaster after the top hat..

A-Kid

Giga Poster
2 operating. 1 spare if another goes wrong. It was a capacity thing, so it always had 2 on the circuit. Well, thats how it was ment to work... never actually did though. They always seem to have a train in bits!

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
I guess the fact the trains are hit with such forces justifies needing a spare, you don't see G-force at drayton manor with a third train .. oh wait, it doesn't even have a second.. *rant*

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I guess the third train is just a spare train they have in case of a breakdown. So they can always have two trains on track.

I know Furius Baco was meant to run 3 trains simultaneously but keeping the trains rolling out of the station every 30 seconds was so hard and needed such a huge crew that they decided to run the coaster on 2 trains and have a third one just in case another one breaks down (like Stealth). They always stack the trains anyway LOL

A

Anonymous

theres always a chance of something happening on a roller coaster. One of the restraints on one of the trains could be broken. You would just put in the other train. Its common sense

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
pencilboy2 said:
theres always a chance of something happening on a roller coaster. One of the restraints on one of the trains could be broken. You would just put in the other train. Its common sense

In the same way it's common sense to buy two of the same car incase the seatbelt breaks in one of them? :lol:

Anyone know how much a train like this would cost?

One train on Stealth is worth roughly £4 million.

A compete set of 24 running wheels will set you back 60 grand.
Theres nerely 8 tonns of precision machined steel components, evey single one is made to order using the latest in CNC cutting technology.........

Having said that though, if I'd paid that much for a train, I'd ask formy money back seeing as the quality is shiite. That and it takes 6 weeks to get anything off Intaminge.

tks

Strata Poster
oriolat2 said:
I guess the third train is just a spare train they have in case of a breakdown. So they can always have two trains on track.

I know Furius Baco was meant to run 3 trains simultaneously but keeping the trains rolling out of the station every 30 seconds was so hard and needed such a huge crew that they decided to run the coaster on 2 trains and have a third one just in case another one breaks down (like Stealth). They always stack the trains anyway LOL

A massive LOL here Oriol! Port Aventura can't even run Baco properly for a start! When I was there in 2007 we saw the pre-show door open after a train failed to launch. Doors open, BAM right into the back of the stuck train... :lol: that messed up the ERT session.. Besides I can't see that many people wanting to ride such a horribly rough coaster... :D

I can't add anything to this discussion, other than Thorpe know they can't make any of their rides to work so they need spares to help them out. Such a shame they can't switch out their rides with working/BETTER ones when they need to.

Gazza

Giga Poster
The Undead Creature said:

One train on Stealth is worth roughly £4 million.

Really?!

Doing a conversion, 4 mil GBP is 8 mil AUD.

Our Superman has two trains, so the trains would therefore be worth 16 mil AUD...But that can't be right because the ride as a whole (With theming etc) cost $16 Mil.

Seems bloody steep? Do things cost that much more in the UK, or do Intamin have really expensive trains?

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ Yes that can't be right. Stealth cost in total £12m, so buy his theory, thats £12m for the 3 trains, and £0 for the ride, supports, track, technology, computers etc.....

Now I'm no expert, but £4m for a train just cannot be true.

Snoo

The Legend
The price seems about right. The whole reason Maverick lost its heartline was because CP didn't wanna pay millions for new trains.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I can see four million pounds being the price for all three trains, but no way is that the price for one train. One train costing 1.3 million makes sense.