What's new

Stand-Up Waterslides

TilenB

Strata Poster
So, these are the thing right now. Aquamagis Plettenburg has opened a short indoor one about a month ago (which I believe many of you have already heard about) and has now opened a more substantial outdoor one as well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqim9xhO1FA[/youtube]

So... What do you think of these? Personally, I see them as nothing more than a trouble plagues gimmick, but would nevertheless love to try one out. I wonder how many parks will bother to install one, though...

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Interesting. I think they might pop up in a lot of the smaller, non-theme park waterparks since they do look quite fun and something a bit different. I agree that they are a gimmick though and therefore wont be around for long, just look at what happened to stand-up coasters...

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Surely it would be quite easy to just slip and fall when you're 'sliding' down one of these? I could imagine safety being a potential issue when certain water parks are thinking about getting them. Interesting though.

EDIT: I didn't notice the handrails first time around. I guess that would make it much easier to balance yourself.

spicy

Giga Poster
Looks like some serious friction burns could occur particularly on your hands.

Looks interesting but yeah I agree I can't see this catching on. Would like to try one though.

mouse

Giga Poster
These look like they could be fun, but surely they're a safety nightmare?
Even with the handrails it can only take a slight slip up to fall over, and then it looks like it would be difficult to get back up as its so narrow and slippery. The fact its narrow and lack of backing means it could be painful to ride sat down after falling over. Also you would need to grip fairly tight to the handrails at times to avoid falling over, which could result in friction burns. I guess the problem is that water slides are known for being quite slippery... due to the water.
Doesn't look like much speed can be gained due to the safety hazards, and they will probably be slow and boring. Water parks might as well just install a travelator instead...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Wonder how hygienic those handrails are? And I join the choir above me on the questionable slipping safety of those things. Plus it must be painful to stay upright if you're a short kid or a tall, lanky adult.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Am I the only one that noticed the handrails are being sprinkled with water as well as the slide itself? Being more slippier would eliminate the possibility of friction burns and them constantly being washed by water would also make them a tad (if not a whole lot) more hygienic...

Lofty

CF Legend
They're just claims waiting to happen from falling backwards and cracking your head open.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
As a former certified lifeguard (scary, I know), from a safety standpoint of someone falls it only needs to be treated as a head, neck, or back injury if the fall happened from over standing height. However, slips in pools are still a major hazard and if someone was either just that stupid or looking to sue someone, this looks like an easy way to get a nasty injury if ride safety guidelines aren't followed.

I like the concept, though. Maybe if the trough were v-shaped and narrower instead of being U-shaped it would be safer. Riders could just go down heel-to-toe and if they fall, they just get wedged in the trough, cushioning their fall somewhat or at least splitting the impact between two opposite surfaces. Going down with one foot in front of the other would probably provide more stability, especially with the trough walls to support your feet.

I don't see one of these going up in an American park, though. Like, ever. Us Americans would just look at that and think "chaching" and call a lawyer. :p