What's new

Stag Weekend in Cologne

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I've been plain awful this year writing up reports but I've been on a couple of trips which I need to write about so...

Went on stag to Cologne earlier this year, as I was the best man I had free choice, so of course Phantasialand!

Couple of stag pics:

Michael Schumacher Karting Center. One of the best Kart tracks(outdoor) I've ever raced, came 3rd, against some really good karters.

IMG_3797.jpg

Evil shots

IMG_3792.jpg

3D Mini Golf - Must do if you're in Cologne, especially with a group.

IMG_3800.jpg

The Munster

IMG_3808.jpg

Few beers, as you do

IMG_3798.jpg

Aftermath of the night out... Random bloke signed Gary's ass, we think it said "Michael"

IMG_3802.jpg

Anyway, had a great time, the beer was excellent, the activities were better than we'd hoped and we got some culture in. But the final day was the trip to the park.
Obviously I'd heard great things about the theming and unique attractions, but I specifically stayed away from POVs for this one.

First up was the new water ride.

IMG_3809.jpg

First up, luuuurve the queue line, not too long or switchbacky, impeccably finished. Batching is good too, group in seperate lines based on group size. I went in the back. The boats are nicely done but not a fan of the restraint system, gets in the way a bit, and there was a lot of breakdowns due to them. The drops are excellent though, and the light room was brilliant. Doesn't totally soak you but I came off very satisfied.
Highlight was the final drop in the back, lots of airtime, loved it. Up there as one of my favourite log flumes, shame about the restraints.

We then wandered over to Mystery Castle

IMG_3810.jpg

Again, the queue line was epic, it feels like you're exploring a real castle and come across a locked door. The ride itself I was slightly disappointed with, but I'm putting it down to the short cycle. The pre show before the drops was really good and the shots up were fab, but it was over too soon. Next time I go it's my first stop though. I want it to win me over.

Then we did Geister Rikcsha which was utterly pants, but that was a rarity.

Next was Colorado Adventure, and it was fab! The airtime on the drops (again in the back) was insane, I had no idea it would throw us around that much. Good length, fab airtime, most likely my favourite Mine Train.

Then was River Quest. I had no idea about this except that it's a rapids, and holy cow, this thing is mental! Came off absolutely drenched, but that moment when the
doors open from the elevator and you see that drop
... All of us practically crapped our tighty whities. Utterly fantastic rapids, rivals Bilge Rat Barges for my favourite.

Time for the resident B&M.

IMG_3812.jpg

Again, queue line delivers, very much a walk through the jungle and MASSIVE SNAKE! type thing. Maybe not but It's immersive. Pants ops here though, 1 train, slow dispach. The ride itself was good though, good, not great. Lack of force in the back, aside from the loop, which was very good. Pretty certain this is a front rower which I'll do next time. There's an upwards turn out of the valley which was totally brilliant, best part of the ride.

Talocan <3

IMG_3811.jpg

This is absolutely **** incredible!

IMG_3813.jpg

I think we had about 4 runs on this throughout the day, it's amazing. The music, the FIRE! the cycle, the viewing area, everything about this is perfect. I want one in my garden. Even bought a Goon shirt of it I was that impressed.

We then grabbed some food at the sit down restaurant, which was ok, but a bit salty, and I like salt. Not a bad price.

Maus au Chocolate was next. Really fun but hurts your arms after a while, maybe 1 screen too many.

Did the Hotel Tartuff which was an unexpected surprise, great funhouse, reminded me of Sweden...

Then we cleared up the rest of the creds, Winjas was excellent, especially Fear, which I much preferred, great initial drop and airtime hill, and the trick track <3
The whole of Wuze town was a feast for the eyes, but as a adult group not much interested us ride wise.

Temple of the night hawk was very smooth, but very boring. This would be the perfect VR coaster, considering you can't see smeg all anyway.

We also did the Hollywood ride, which was an ok filler, and did the madhouse. Pre show was good, but as per usual, compared to hex it's a good couple of notches lower overall.

The rest of the day was spent re riding and tat shopping before the flight home.

Overall the park is excellent, it's got some outstanding rides, Talocan, Chiapas, Colorado Adventure, River Quest. The theming is ridiculously good, there's not many places where you are this immersed. Very much up there with IOA. Maybe it's the rides, or the theming, or the staff, or the general pleasantness of the clientel, but it's like the perfect park. It just needs that one World Class coaster, hopefully Taron will be it.

peep

CF Legend
Been looking forward to seeing what you thought about Phantasialand. Glad to see you loved it and managed to get on everything. I agree about the restraints on Chiapas, such a shame.

I love Cologne, one of my favourite cities. Haven't heard about the mini golf before, maybe I'll give that a go next time. There's an amazing chocolate museum with a small working Lindt chocolate factory too on the river which is great. The nightlife is also pretty amazing, need to go for a proper night out there I think.