What's new

Stabbing at Canada's Wonderland

BBH

Giga Poster
1 dead after stabbing at Canada's Wonderland

A man is dead and another is in critical condition after a stabbing at Canada’s Wonderland early Sunday morning.

Police in York Region said they got a call around 12:30 a.m. about an incident at the amusement park, at Jane Street and Major Mackenzie Drive West, in Vaughan.

When they arrived at the parking lot, they found two men with apparent stab wounds.

One, a man in his 20s, died there. The other was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

“There [was] a significant number of people here for an event,” said Const. Andy Pattenden.

“We’re appealing to anyone that may have any information on what took place here to contact York Regional Police as soon as possible — anyone that might have video … from their cellphones.”

The park’s annual Halloween Haunt event was taking place on Saturday night, but Pattenden said it doesn’t appear to be related to the stabbing.

Homicide detectives are asking any witnesses, or other victims, to call them at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7865, or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (9477).

Sad news from Canada's Wonderland as a man is stabbed to death and another is critically injured in an apparent double-homicide attempt.

Discuss.

the king

Mega Poster
I shame these things happen, especially when there is a death. Someone got stabbed near my house, around the corner, and now they are in serious but stable condition.

therick311

Mega Poster
So is it safe to assume that Cedar Fair will be setting up metal detectors at park entrances, much like Six Flags, in response to this?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^ Probably, considering the company's most popular amusement park is in a state where it's legal to hold a concealed weapon.

Too bad they couldn't have done it when GateKeeper was added.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I thought I remember seeing metal detectors at Canada's Wonderland when I was there. Heard somewhere it was because of a shooting that happened there years ago but I can't remember where. But I definitely think there were metal detectors in the turnstile building.

I would hope they would do this to all their parks, though. I really never had any problem with it at Kings Island when we had them, I wish they'd have just kept them. They wouldn't have prevented this incident but I still find some peace of mind having them at the park gates.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Yeah. CW has metal detectors at the park entrance, but that doesn't matter since the stabbing occurred in the parking lot. Weapons are left in vehicles when there are metal detectors are at the entrance and are used when the person(s) they have a beef with leave the park. So I'm glad you have some peace of mind with parks having them, but they're only a slight deterrent.

Jake

Strata Poster
Pretty sure a few people have been shot in the SFA car park. Like Jerry said, there's not a lot they can do about what happens outside the actual gates, which is in turn exactly why it happens in the car park.