What's new

Splashdown outdoor times

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
This isn't a theme park question I guess, but it's close enough.

When does the outdoor bit of 'splashdown' at Poole open? I pretty much scanned their site but it doesn't specifically say when the outdoor bit opens, and the previous times I have been there, it has been shut.

Also, does anyone know if the flume ride 'screamer' is actually vertical as they claim? Wouldn't it be quite dangerous because of people getting airtime and floating off the flume?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
They pretty much open it from Spring onwards - weather depending.

From what I can remember, the Screamer flume was not actually vertical but pretty damn steep.

It's been years since I've been, must head there in the Summer.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Oh alright, thanks, will have to remember to go on a sunny day.

I've been thinking of water slides for the past couple days because I thought of these 2 cool slides in my head - one was a vertical drop slide, as in actually vertical, with some kind of trap door release, or a bar that you could hang from before letting go and dropping into the pit.

The other would be a tight turning waterslide with a corkscrew that happened because of some tight turns, and then a small upwards and downwards bit to propel the rider up and around the tube.

So I searched for water slide manufacturers to entertain my vain dreams of possibly trying to sell my ideas to a company, and found a helpful site which listed most of the manufacturers. Most of the types of slide got pretty similar - there's actually about 7 different types of space bowl ride!

Anyway, at the bottom of the page, I found this:

http://www.whitewaterwest.com/products. ... es&model=2

The AquaLoop!

And although it doesn't have such an awesome vertical drop as I'd imagined, and it's only 55ft tall, I practically orgasmed at the video.

Just thought I'd let you guys see it too.

EDIT: Aww crap, just realised, they've made the loop look vertical, in fact I think it's just an overbanked turn, still, the most awesome body slide ride I've seen, even without inverting.

EDIT: Aww crap, just seen the pictures, and it's not even vertical. Forget I ever mentioned this ride.

It had so much potential. :(

Peter

Hyper Poster
Wow Splashdown, I used to go there loads.

Screamer isn't vertical but it's pretty steep - I would estimate around 60-70* ish. The corner after the drop is the fun part though, as you hit it at some speed and it's really tight, throwing you right up the side of the tube and it feels like you're pulling a load of G on a waterslide. :p

Don't miss Zambezi Drop either, it may look tame at the start but it packs a punch at the end. Barons Revenge (the other one they advertise as being vertical) is pathetic as the tube is about as long as you are tall. :lol:

No idea when the outside bit opens - all I remember is that it's always freezing no matter what time of year you went.

TowerPark is a good place for an evening out afterwards too, with loads of food places, cinema, bowling (over 18's after 9pm, bowling to disco lights, lasers and music), phasorzone (like paintball but with soft balls not paint) and other stuff.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Ah cheers thanks. I've been there twice before, but I've never been outside. I thought baron's revenge was quite good. Like Oblivion. Dark hole, short queue for single riders, packs a short, sharp punch, but is over pretty quickly.