What's new

Something Happening with Grand National?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So it all started by this post on Twitter, which implies that something is going on with Nash at Pleasure Beach:-

And to people in the comments, he is heavily implying that you should get your last rides on it while you can. So I started a thread about the fact it's listed and couldn't just be removed and it got interesting:-

Screenshot_20220814-093048.png

Screenshot_20220814-093136.png

Screenshot_20220814-093142.png

Screenshot_20220814-094436.png

Screenshot_20220814-094441.png

I'm gonna pop to PB tomorrow to see if I can see anything going on but this certainly seems like an interesting scenario - could we be seeing the end of Nash soon even though it's listed?

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Who is Attraction Images? Are they supposed to have some significance, other than just some random enthusiast who could post whatever they like?
They correctly reported Valhalla being closed before it was announced, for what it’s worth. So I think they’re a reliable source.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Who is Attraction Images? Are they supposed to have some significance, other than just some random enthusiast who could post whatever they like?
Honestly yeah probably, but the fact PBE got involved and said there is groundwork and the fact he seems to agree with AA is interesting. Like I said, I'm gonna be visiting the park tomorrow so I'll have a look if I can see anything going on.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Honestly yeah probably, but the fact PBE got involved and said there is groundwork and the fact he seems to agree with AA is interesting. Like I said, I'm gonna be visiting the park tomorrow so I'll have a look if I can see anything going on.
Definitely interesting, Scott has historically been the one to instantly poopoo the idea of anything happening to the Nash... Usually in response to RMC claims and based on the foundations to the ride as well as the listed status, so the fact that he is not flat out denying this is very telling. I wouldn't hold your breath for an RMC Nash though...

Matt N

CF Legend
I’m not sure listing necessarily stops it from being removed. I could be wrong here, but I was under the impression that the park could remove it if they were able to make a case for it being “beyond saving” or something along those lines.

I don’t see it being converted to an RMC, though; I seem to remember hearing that the foundations aren’t suitable, and I’m not sure that Blackpool currently has the money for a massive RMC.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
To be honest I've gotten to the point where the 'enthusiast saying something on Twitter with no picture or video evidence' genre of Tweet means nothing and can just be pushed to the side immediately. There are so many garbage rumours going around recently.

Even if there was definite proof of something happening around the ride (such as seeing it from a POV), what would that even tell us? Another retrack? Gardening? General upkeep & maintenance?

Even then that would lead to heavy assumptions and I've seen a significant ramp, especially this year, of people immediately jumping to "It's gonna die!" the second anything happens to a ride.

Shockwave at Drayton's been rumoured to be on its 'last legs' for a decade. Oakwood's been rumoured to be on its 'last legs' for a decade. Rita's been rumoured to be on its 'last legs' for a good few years now.

😴

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So unfortunately I haven't been able to ride Nash as I've been called into work which is extremely frustrating given I've driven an hour to get to PB and will have spent like £20 on fuel for two hours in the park - had to leave before Nash opened (was meant to open at 12 but is opening late). Not to mention the park is busy so I've only done 5 rides in the time I've been here and now I have to go - pretty infuriating but it is what it is. I'll try and get back soon.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Probably a retrack on the worst worn parts, as that's well within the confines of Grade 2.

Also, on a personal note, I don't want it to get the RMC treatment. There's an obsession within the community to RMC every woodie out there until there are no classic woodies left. No classic woodies for the next generation to enjoy. Leave 'em alone and build some ground-ups.

Last edited:

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Probably a retrack on the worst worn parts, as that's well within the confines of Grade 2.
That's what they did in the off season last year though wasn't it?

It would be very odd to have spent a ton of time/money refurbishing it if it is going to be closed soon. Maybe there is some more significant structural issue that is beyond repair, which hadn't previously been identified? Or it could just be crazy enthusiast rumour-mongering of course!

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Depends on the scale of the retracking, I mean full GCI level retracking/reprofiling. I'm not sure if reprofiling would be permitted without permission (again, the listing) however.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think a full retrack reprofile is most likely, if anything is happening at all, and probably some sort of improvement to the foundation situation.

Matt N

CF Legend
To back up the point that @Rob Coasters made with a BPB case study, Wild Mouse also had fairly substantial work done just months before it was removed…

I have heard it said that the work done on National this year could have been a last ditch attempt to save its reputation among the public, and if this didn’t work, then the ride would close.

Matt N

CF Legend
So it's still literally just one person dropping cryptic messages on twitter?
This one person has been right before, for what it's worth, and others who have good contacts within BPB are also corroborating the idea, apparently.