What's new

Social Media Morons

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm pretty sure a few of these people have popped in in various topics, usually in relation to a park accident, but I thought these idiots deserved their own topic.

Yes, it's slightly mean-spirited, but I think that if you're posting absolute crap on a public forum, and encouraging people to share it, then it's open to public scrutiny. I'll get us started with this muppet, whose tale of horror made it to my Facebook page thanks to an equally idiotic "friend" sharing it. I'm just going to stipulate not to post names though.

Basically, the restraint on Nemesis had a bit of a gap. You know, when that "between clicks" thing happens. Yeah, it might be a little scary if you didn't know any better, but just look at this mad bitch:

So.......yesterday I took Josh and his mates to Alton Towers. We had a great day until it was ruined by a horrific incident. When on Nemesis for third time, Josh wasn't restrained in properly. He shouted for an assistant and was ignored. The ride started and Josh basically had to cling on for dear life. He got off the ride inconsolable and incredibly shook up. I immediately asked for the manager of the ride and was asked 'why?' I explained and they got me the manager. 'NO APOLOGY' he asked which member of staff fastened Josh in and removed her from the ride. He tried to pacify me by telling me that the ride wouldn't have started had he not been fastened in. I explained several times to him that whilst the clip was fastened to the overhead restraint, the overhead restraint wasn't secured / clipped down correctly on his body. NO APOLOGY. He agreed to complete an incident report and get another manager to come too. He began taking the details down when a female manager appeared who's first words were (in a snotty tone) 'what's your problem?' ......... Well there's her first mistake there, fortunately for her there were children present so I didn't blow up like you all know I can. I again explained everything to her and she gave me the same answer. I again reiterated that they are not listening to what I am saying 'you didn't click the overhead restraint in properly' She then.......wait for it....... Said that maybe Josh had eaten a bit too much and therefore it wouldn't click where it usually would creating the gap! REALLY???? There's her second mistake. In actual fact Josh didn't eat much at all yesterday. I expressed how disappointed I was with her ridiculous excuse and asked what the next step is as I'm not happy. She then very rudely asked me 'what exactly is it that you want from us?' To which I replied, an apology for starters followed by communication for Alton Towers that the matter is being looked into. She said I won't be hearing from them and that if I have a problem with that go and speak to Guest Services! NO APOLOGY. Third mistake. After calming Josh down we headed over to Guest Services to be fed the same **** excuse from a third member of staff. I was asked to 'leave feedback' I said I want to make a complaint and he said that's the same thing - no it's not! I then put everything in writing and again was told that I wouldn't hear back from them..........Well those of you that know me know I won't back down. So I have taken to Twitter (as I always do when complaining - you get answered quickly) and put it all in the public domain and i'm in debate with both Alton Towers and idiot strangers (who I suspect work there) Twitter seems to have got their attention as I have now received an email from them which is still them not accepting blame or offering an apology. I am taking the matter to the HSE for them to investigate. I'll keep you all posted. In the meantime if you go to Alton Towers, make sure you and your loved ones are strapped in properly. Don't assume because the operative had done it, it's right. Josh shouted for them and was ignored.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Wow what a c*nt! This will be a great fun topic if there are lots of contributions and Im sure it will be easy to find some worthy candidates on any of the Merlin park's FB pages.

davidm

Strata Poster
Child gets frightened on roller coaster, get the media involved!

Social media has a lot to be blamed for! :)

nealbie

CF Legend
To be fair, if what she's saying about them is even half true, the Alton Towers staff and management acted like absolute dicks.

Other than that, LOL.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
"Eaten a bit too much".....?

Sorry, that just sounds like bulls**t. Almost as bad as when one of the Smiler victims basically accused Nick Varney of making her feel guilty, because the park 'were losing too much money'.

I just can't imagine management saying things like that.

ignace

Mega Poster
nealbie said:
To be fair, if what she's saying about them is even half true, the Alton Towers staff and management acted like absolute dicks.

Other than that, LOL.

I work at the counter of the Mcdonalds and do my best to keep friendly at all times, but sometimes it is extremely annoying to handle with all the stupid people you see in one day... I understand al reactions described.

Smithy

Strata Poster
That post is worthy of having a topic all to itself tbfh, **** clueless bint.

There's loads of these on Trip Advisor, I may try and dig out a few favourites from memory when I get a minute.

BigBad

Mega Poster
I don't even get what happened to the kid. The harness wasn't pressed against him as hard a possible? I thought we went out of our way to avoid getting stapled.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Obviously CF doesn't condone tweeting her and laughing at her etc...

But it is hard not to seeing her constantly tweeting them claiming she's getting HSE involved ahahaha

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Smithy said:
There's loads of these on Trip Advisor, I may try and dig out a few favourites from memory when I get a minute.
I've just been reading some on the google reviews (for AT). They can be so entertaining.

Yesterday I gave 5 strong today ur lucky to get 1 .brought 98 people for weekend .u printed 3 extra tickets for us as they left tickets in hotel.day 2 left us standing outside for 90 mins.saying tickets were frauds .u printed them not us .emotional stressed out diabetic .ruined first 2 hrs of twins 9th birthday .missed monster theme singing happy birthday to them.levels shot up to 33.8 .normally 5.stressed to max .rest of family hung about waiting on us too.thanks for spoiling our good weekend.I now want bus ride home .
On the pirate ship swing me and my friend were nearly killed when the harness failed to lock properly on myself and crushed my friends legs badly. I had to use all my strength to prevent myself from falling from a great height to the concrete. We never complained at the time.......just wait.
So big park, but don't have a car park, need to extra pay to others to park the car. It will extra cost 6 pounds - yes, 6 pounds, like in London just this time in forests. Also after u payed to somebody else u need to get to alton towers. It will take 20 minutes climb and walk. Park is useless big, need to walk 20 minutes from one ride to another. Plus the rides are really scary so find where to go will be difficult. Also couldn't eat anywhere because can of lemonade cost 2 pounds, cheseburger 8. Got reselled tickets for 24gbp for 2 persons plus 6 parking = 30gbp for 2 persons is fear price. I would give 25 total - That should be true price. But not 100 (with parking fee).

I had to have a timeout half way through the first one. It was all too much.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
How do you manage to get your legs nearly crushed on a pirate ship? (or were they referring to ripsaw - and they were sitting cross legged?)

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Apparently you might get bags stolen from hersheypark...

When entering the park at its opening, we asked one of the staff members on the boardwalk how to pay for a locker, she did not speak English and was unable to answer the question. We made the unfortunate decision to leave our backpack unattended on a chair, next to other unattended backpacks for 5 minutes. When we came back the bag was gone. We alerted security and asked them to check the camera that was directly above the chair. They claimed that the camera was unable to see the criminal or what happened. Our backpack was found in the garbage with money and our phone stolen. After leaving the park we tried to get in touch with management to discuss this further but they never called us back. We had to call the police on our own to report this. We were not compensated in any way, and we have a feeling that this happens A LOT! Please be careful with your belongings.

mouse

Giga Poster
Some of these are brilliant, theme park's social media pages always seem to attract some uninformed and hilarious comments...

Alton towers is attracting a lot, particularly due to the Smiler crash - here's a few that I've found and enjoyed:

Disappointed is an understatement today, coffee shop is selling basic drinks and not the usual drinks!
DISAPPOINTED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.

@altontowers thats not a scarefest, thats what people look like when they have been on your unsafe rides! #deluded #unsafe #altontowerscrash
This was a response to Alton sharing photos of their scarefest actors. Ha! That showed them.

people always ask why I don't like rides and Alton towers is a prime example of why I hate them #AltonTowers #unsafe
Agreed, I also hate rides because they always crash. Has any roller coaster car actually made it back to the station in one piece??

My girlfriend and I had a very bad experience on the Nemesis the seat belt failed on the rentry phase If this had happened earlier I would have died I explained to the ride operators but they just laughed WILL NEVER EVER GO AGAIN
Wonder why they laughed.

I'm just glad that they don't run an airline as planes would be dropping out of the sky.
Yeah, thank god Alton Towers airlines never worked out. Planes dropping out of the sky and stalling, bored teenage pilots and too much walking between seats.

...Actually aren't planes supposed to drop out of the sky? I believe the technical term is 'landing'.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
On the first test run of Goliath video, someone said that they had to run the ride(NOT the lift hill) at the lowest speed or else it would break. Not the lift hill. The ride itself.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
In seriousness, the between clicks issue is a real problem.

How do you explain it quickly to a distraught guest?

Depending on the ride, it can feel like a way bigger deal than it is. I've had the seats on Drayton's Shockwave clip up a notch mid ride, and if I didn't know better I'd assure you it was way more than the inch or so between clicks.

A large percentage of guests pull restraints down as tight as possible and do not understand that, on the majority of rides, the restraint should move freely between them and the next "click" as we call it. But think about this from their perspective - imagine reading that description if you knew no better? Would your first question not be "well how do you know when it supposed to move or not??" We just... do. It is perfectly normal to have a gap of movement between yourself and the spot in which it will no longer budge. Another misunderstanding is that if you pull it down yourself, it'll fasten in the next click. A lot of guests don't know this.

Staff check restraints not so much to ensure they are locked as the vast majority of coasters' computer systems know if they are open and won't let the ride move. It's more to make sure people are sat correctly, as idiots can end up sat on top of closed restraints. Misunderstanding this is exactly what's led to this woman's distress when staff explained that the restraint MUST have been locked. How would you explain?

Also I'm crying at "park is useless big..." oh my god.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
the seat belt failed on the rentry phase

I'm wondering exactly what the "re(-e?)ntry phase" is - do they mean when you get back where you started, and everyones restraint goes up - to let the riders off and make room for the next lot?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm assuming they mean the break run. And seatbelts don't just come undone unless you're massive or are fiddling with it.

jonny9403

Roller Poster
Joey said:
I'm assuming they mean the break run. And seatbelts don't just come undone unless you're massive or are fiddling with it.
But don't the seat belts come undone to kill you and you get stuck upside down on the lift hill ????