What's new

Smoothest coaster you've ever ridden?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Smoothness is a factor that many of us admire in a coaster, so I'd be intrigued to know; what is the smoothest coaster you've ever ridden?

For me, the smoothest coasters I've ever ridden include Mako at SeaWorld Orlando, The Swarm at Thorpe Park, Thirteen at Alton Towers, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom and Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, although Mako, The Swarm and Icon are all commonly considered somewhat rattly by many reviewers, so that clearly proves I lack experience of properly smooth coasters! In terms of worldwide, I've heard that new Vekoma's coasters are supposed to be insanely smooth; I even once read a review saying that you "can barely feel the transitions occurring" on Lech Coaster and that it "makes every B&M feel like a Pinfari"; would those of you who've ridden agree? The closest I've ridden to a new Vekoma is Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and while it was very smooth, I wouldn't have said that it was any smoother than the likes of Mako, The Swarm or Thirteen, for example.

So, what coaster is the smoothest you've ever ridden?

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
Untamed, silky smooth and no rattle (although I rode it when it was a week old). In terms of older Coasters, I'd have to say Swarm - No rattle at all from my experience.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Blue Fire is probably the most smooth coaster i have ever ridden. Not even a tiny rattle in sight, every transition is so graceful (bar that amazing heartline roll).
Swarm is certainly a very smooth ride, no rattle whatsoever. I also find Steel Vengeance to be really smooth.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Hard to pick one, but the Ibox RMC's certainly are up there. I still find it remarkable how the likes of Steel Vengeance and Untamed are so forceful, but deliver those extreme forces in such a smooth and organic way - they really are superbly engineered pieces of kit.
Most new-ish B&M's are butter smooth - The Swarm, Fēnix and Banshee spring to mind.
Shout out to Helix too, and for a much older coaster how about Lisebergbanan? Couldn't believe how well that thing rode.

Smoothest wood coaster? Honestly, I think it was probably Rollercoaster at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I too air on the side of RMC I-Box - probably Storm Chaser actually? Really throws down some major forces, but keeps it's composure without any real rattle. Also sticks out as they sped up the roller coaster from it's first year with faster wheels, while still being pretty silk smooth.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Yeah another mention for Swarm and Fenix, very smooth. Helix and Bluefire also, but there are definitely times where there's a little rattle on certain trains/times of the day.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I echo whoever said Blue Fire. Absolutely glass smooth, and a joy to ride. I didn't even feel a rumble or vibration at all, which meant focusing on the ride itself and having a good time was actually possible.

rctneil

Roller Poster
Some really smooth coasters that i've ridden are:

Steel:
- Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point
- Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom
- Millenium at Fantasy Island
- Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars at Hong Kong Disneyland
- California Screamin' at Disney's California Adventure

Wood:
- Mammut at Erlebnispark Tripsdrill
- Mystic Timbers - Kings Island
- Balder - Liseberg

L3XiC

Roller Poster
It's gotta be wicked cyclone, when I visited SFNE, I didn't knew about RMC and my gp thoughts were that all wooden coasters were horribly shaky. Boyyyy did I had a surprise after my ride. Idk if it really is the smoothest ride or if it's just because I excpected a rough ride. But I think I found it smoother than any other ride that I have done.

astead04

Roller Poster
My nominations for this:
•Stealth at Thorpe Park
•SheiKra at Busch Gardens Tampa
•Oblivion at Alton Towers
•TH13TEEN at Alton Towers
•Galactica at Alton Towers
•Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom
•Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Studios Florida
•Shambhala at PortAventura World

Satanspropaganda

Mega Poster
Taron was the first time I rode a coaster and was truly taken aback by the smoothness and intensity both in one go! Was an amazing ride, so I'd probably vote Taron :)

Air/Galactica, Expedition Everest and Stealth are all very much close contenders though :D

Though I wasn't a massive fan of it, Valkyria was butter smooth. Couldn't feel the track in the slightest. Other than that Fenix and Icon are absolutely contestants for 2nd place.