What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
This is properly mad.

The mack Blue Fire at Wanda Wuxi stalled at the top of the first element.
View attachment 9639
That has got to be every goon’s secret ambition now! Forget a roll back on KingdaThrill!!!

Those seats are comfy enough for it too!!!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
The Zierer flitzer, "Racing", is to close at Bakken, leaving only two park installations of the Flitzer left (apparently there are also a couple of travelling ones about).
Sadness. The US (mostly the North East) had a ton of these... and now they're all gone. The one at York's was one of my very first coasters too!

We've got *3* of them still touring in Florida with Deggler owning one (from Castaway Cove) and Reithoffer owning 2 of them, both Racing and Indy 500. I think I've ridden 6 different ones

The Zierer flitzer, "Racing", is to close at Bakken, leaving only two park installations of the Flitzer left (apparently there are also a couple of travelling ones about).
Looking at it realistically, with a Google Earth look at the coaster's site, there's not much coaster wise to replace it with. I think that if it was a coaster, you'd have to take out the buildings either side of it and even then you would probably only have either a Premier Sky Rocket II or a S&S 4D Free Spin Coaster. Non coaster wise, they don't have a frisbee type ride, so maybe even an Intamin Gyro Swing or Discovery Revolution by Zamperla would be a thrilling replacement because they are cramped for space.

Screenshot_20200906_114738.jpg

But I reckon it is potentially worth watching what happens because they could suprise us, like any other theme park...

davidm

Strata Poster

cookie

Giga Poster
The Zierer flitzer, "Racing", is to close at Bakken, leaving only two park installations of the Flitzer left (apparently there are also a couple of traveling ones about).
I'll cherish the childhood memories I had on it but the thing felt like it was falling apart last I rode it in July so its time is probably due.

Non coaster wise, they don't have a frisbee type ride,
They have a new for 2020 KMG Freak Out down the same pathway. A Frisbee-type ride would be way too similar, I'd think.

Last edited:
They have a new for 2020 KMG Freak Out down the same pathway. A Frisbee-type ride would be way too similar, I'd think.
Yh that's true. Maybe a Zamperla Endeavour would be a good family thrill ride. Personally though I hope for a 4D Free Spin or a Skyrocket II. That LSM Vertical Launch Coaster concept from Intamin would be good too and that S&S LSM Triple Launch Coaster like Galeforce as well.

cookie

Giga Poster
Yh that's true. Maybe a Zamperla Endeavour would be a good family thrill ride. Personally though I hope for a 4D Free Spin or a Skyrocket II. That LSM Vertical Launch Coaster concept from Intamin would be good too and that S&S LSM Triple Launch Coaster like Galeforce as well.
The thing with Bakken is that the problem with building a coaster of even that size isn't just limited space (FTR a SRII or a 4D Free Spin would require them gutting multiple restaurants on either side of Racing just to fit either of them in), but also noise restrictions. The park tried to get planning permission to build a Kanonen-style Intamin back in the mid-2000s and faced serious pushback, and that's with said permit including a sound wall that covered at least half the coaster's height. I don't think a nearly twice as tall Sky Rocket II would ever fly with the locals.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
What no one has mentioned is that Bakken uses individually owned rides and concessions, other than Rutschebanen (the only attraction owned and operated by the park itself). That means that neighboring structures cannot simply be removed nor does it matter what type of ride is operating "down the pathway". I can't imagine the owners/operators of Racing would remove the coaster without having a replacement in the wings, whether that be a coaster, flat ride or something completely different. I've seen SBF Spinners replace Flitzers elsewhere, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen here as well.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
The travelling Maurer Spinner "Spinning Racer" has been put up for sale and rumour has it that Mellors has bought it so it's likely heading for Saudi Arabia.

EDIT: Apparently it is currently in Mellors' yard and could be staying in the UK for a bit. That would be nice!

Last edited:

bdrizzyb

Roller Poster
Don't understand why there's not more of the standard Maurer spinners, they give a much better ride then the Zamperla and Reverchion spinning wild mouse's, and there no bigger than a Pinfari Zyklon, would be perfect for somewhere like Brighton pier or Blackpool pier. Dou you recon this could replace Ice Mountain at Fantasy Island next season?