What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Well whatever, it's not worth arguing about.
It is opposite Tussauds and the other Merlin attractions... So it’s kind of in ‘Tower row’ if you look at it from a Merlin point of view, but the tower itself is further up...

We have ended our visits to the merlin attractions with a ride on those excellent waltzers on many occasions, sad news :(

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Is the new lift on Flying Turns being added just before the brake run? And does this mean the last portion will be taken at a faster speed?

Also will this be increasing the length of the layout, and will the coaster be running an extra train as a result?

Last edited:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Is the new lift on Flying Turns being added just before the brake run? And does this mean the last portion will be taken at a faster speed?

Also will this be increasing the length of the layout, and will the coaster be running an extra train as a result?
That portion won't be taken at a faster speed. By adding a small lift hill they can dispatch an extra car that they couldn't with only the brake run, without increasing the length of the layout.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That portion won't be taken at a faster speed. By adding a small lift hill they can dispatch an extra car that they couldn't with only the brake run, without increasing the length of the layout.
So they're looking to increase the cars per train to four? That's great news, but surely complicated. If I recall the tour we had with FREDxGCI years ago, the ride is extremely weight sensitive, but I'm sure they accounted for this. Do they still have to test how the ride performs with the fourth car?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So they're looking to increase the cars per train to four? That's great news, but surely complicated. If I recall the tour we had with FREDxGCI years ago, the ride is extremely weight sensitive, but I'm sure they accounted for this. Do they still have to test how the ride performs with the fourth car?
No I think he means they can dispatch trains at a faster rate, the length of the trains are staying the same from what I am aware of.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Nah. The tower is pretty much halfway between the north and central piers.
Out of geekery in its finest form, I today stood on the beach directly in front of the Tower, barefoot in the shallow sea, and made careful note of distances.
So we can all be clear on this matter of great importance, the Tower is far closer to the North pier than the Central.
Had a nice paddle under the Central, fire damage considerable, but didnt look structural.
Seen far worse pier fires over the years...it wasnt me guv.
The Beach was very busy, queues are snaking all over, but are managed well and running on full whack, just seat spaces slows things down.
Not much fun now until september weekdays.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Mystic Mountain in Jamaica has opened its new $6 million Reggae Ridge expansion that includes the new Raggamuffin Wie-Flyer inverted coaster as well as eco-friendly all-electric ATV quad bike tours. A few CFers have been to the park to ride their Bobsled Ride alpine coaster and this addition might actually get me to go as well. Clickly for more info if you haven't read the news article on our homepage.

Here's a construction video posted on the park's Facebook page last year and an off-ride posted earlier today:

Matt N

CF Legend
In an interesting development, it was recently revealed in court that Punga Racers, a mat racer slide at Volcano Bay, has injured a total of 115 people during its lifespan so far: https://time.com/5874501/injury-reports-volcano-bay-water-slide/

The injuries included scrapes, nosebleed, a concussion and whiplash, and two of the injuries were to “ride safety testers”. This was all discovered in a lawsuit by a man named James Bowen, who claims that he was left paralysed after his neck “snapped back violently” as he hit the slide’s runoff chute. This occurred in 2019.

Since it opened, this ride seems to have had a somewhat chequered history, and I think this may have been the same one where they drastically reduced the weight limit a year or two back (correct me if I’m wrong). I think Universal may have extended the runoff chute fairly recently in order to mitigate the risk.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
In an interesting development, it was recently revealed in court that Punga Racers, a mat racer slide at Volcano Bay, has injured a total of 115 people during its lifespan so far: https://time.com/5874501/injury-reports-volcano-bay-water-slide/

The injuries included scrapes, nosebleed, a concussion and whiplash, and two of the injuries were to “ride safety testers”. This was all discovered in a lawsuit by a man named James Bowen, who claims that he was left paralysed after his neck “snapped back violently” as he hit the slide’s runoff chute. This occurred in 2019.

Since it opened, this ride seems to have had a somewhat chequered history, and I think this may have been the same one where they drastically reduced the weight limit a year or two back (correct me if I’m wrong). I think Universal may have extended the runoff chute fairly recently in order to mitigate the risk.
They are building a brand new splashdown for it as the original was far too short, so this should make it a much less of a risk.