What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Update on the gullivers news, again from facebook, apparently all 3 parks as losing their pinfari mini mega coasters after the incident at Warrington (wheel fell off?).

tbarnesarc

Roller Poster
Ahhh the overused 360 cam tiny planet mode. The 360 cams like the Rylo can actually get great and stabilized footage without a gimbal. Some of my fellow mountain biking buddies capture pretty insane clips with theirs.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
As long as they run it properly, great news.

If they can't run it properly, then they may as well not bother. And given the lack of bag room, I do wonder how abused the system will be.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Apparently, the owners of IMG Worlds of Adventure in Dubai are in talks about the future of the park. They seem to need to restructure their loans, but rumours also say the park might be up for sale:
Sources say Ilyas & Mustafa Galadari Group is exploring options for IMG Worlds of Adventure
img-worlds-of-adventure.jpg

The owner of the world’s largest indoor theme park in Dubai is exploring options for the business, including a possible sale, according to people familiar with the matter.

Ilyas & Mustafa Galadari Group, known as IMG, is considering selling part or all of its IMG Worlds of Adventure theme park after struggling to restructure a 1.2 billion-dirham ($327 million) loan, the people said, asking not to be identified because the plans are private.

Discussions are at an early stage and the owners may decide to keep the business or consider an initial public offering at a later date, they said.
https://www.arabianbusiness.com/tra...mull-sale-of-worlds-biggest-indoor-theme-park

Sidenote: I didn't know until now what IMG stood for. Not sure I'm going to remember it either, to be honest, the name is a bit of a mouthful.

kenny cook

Mega Poster
Belmont Park's new drop tower (Zero Gravity) has opened recently! Looks super nice! In addition, their rethemed Tilt A Whirl has reopened after a lengthy refurb and it's super cute, really pulls together the look of the park. These new additions are super nice, so if you haven't made a trip down recently, I'd highly recommend it, the park looks and is way nicer than just a year ago.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
What a great big ****ing waste of time and money that was...

Glad it’s gone though, was crap and those headsets were rancid.

Christ, I’m grumpy.

Matt N

CF Legend
In my opinion, while it is sad that the VR lasted such a short space of time, I definitely think that it was the right decision to remove it. Even though I initially liked it, I never personally thought that it was better than riding without, and my opinion of it was less positive when I rerode it with the VR. My VR-less ride in September 2018 was far more enjoyable for me than my rides with VR in July 2017 and April 2016. I've always liked the theming and aesthetics side of Galactica (the portal and the soundtrack in particular are stunning, in my opinion!), but the VR... not so much. Going away from my personal opinions on the VR, I don't think it was particularly reliable nor particularly popular (it says something when the resounding reaction of my family to the VR removal was "Thank god for that..."), so it probably wasn't worth Alton's trouble keeping on maintaining it. I don't think too many will miss Galactica's VR based on the majority opinion, and dare I say it; I think the VR was a bit of a flop for Alton.

On the positive side, at least the installation of VR gave us a nice refurbishment of Air and the addition of some theming! Merlin certainly didn't have to go to the effort of building the portal and changing the soundtrack!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Fun Spot America Atlanta posted a cryptic teaser image of a sizable plot of land:

Seems like there's quite a bit of potential. FSAA only has a spinning wild mouse and is hardly known even to hardcore enthusiasts. Although Fun Spot Orlando was teasing a new development recently and it turned into an interactive splash pad...so I guess we'll see what they do in time!

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I went when it was Fun Junction USA for the cred and was in and out. Lots and lots of potential would definitely go back for a Mine Blower or a White Lightning..:)

Matt N

CF Legend
Good news from Oakwood; Bounce is apparently reopening this year! According to the website, it is "undergoing a major refurbishment": https://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/at-the-park/thrill-rides/

The park map also lists it as "reopening in 2019".

In my opinion, this combined with the announcement of Dizzy Disk, the new Zamperla Disk'O, represents really positive news for Oakwood! Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Dizzy Disk is brand new, then I think it will be the largest brand new ride built at Oakwood since Speed in 2006!

Peet

Giga Poster
That is good news, it is a year for small UK parks reopening rides that they have previously failed to maintain to the point of being inoperable!