What's new

Small coasters that make the most of their size and large coasters that waste their size

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Size is often used as a marketing tool by parks, but many enthusiasts (myself included) believe that size isn't everything. For my money, it's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it. So my question to you today is; are there some coasters that work against that traditional assumption that "bigger is better"? Can you think of small coasters that you think make the most of the size that they have, and also some larger coasters that you think squander their size somewhat?

I'll get the ball rolling with my suggestions.

For a smaller coaster that makes smashing use of its size, I'm going to nominate Mine Blower at Fun Spot Kissimmee. They crammed a fair few airtime hills and a fairly large inversion into a coaster that is only 80ft tall and a little over 2,000ft long, and takes up a very compact footprint little larger than some backyards; I find that a hugely impressive use of size, personally! It's an absolute whippet of a coaster, and I think Gravity Group deserve huge applause for the sheer amount of thrill they crammed into Mine Blower's somewhat diminutive size and stature!

On the other end of the spectrum, for a larger coaster that squanders its size somewhat; I loathe to say this slightly, as it's an older ride now and I do think its layout doesn't entirely deserve the hate it often gets, and it also wasn't really built for airtime, but the first coaster that came to mind for me here was The Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. While I digress that the Big One wasn't built for airtime, and was also only the world's 2nd hyper coaster, I don't think it does a huge amount with its sheer size, and I'll admit that the ride was one of my biggest coaster disappointments when I first came off it in 2018. I don't think I've ever had a single hint of airtime on the Big One, and while I'll admit that the ride does have its moments in terms of speed and intensity, a fair amount of it is spent meandering around not doing a huge amount. I'm probably being unfair given BPB's tight footprint and the Big One's age, as well as BPB's design focus on visual impact over thrill, but it was sadly the first coaster that came to mind in this category for me.

But what are some coasters that you feel make the most of or waste their size?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Small do everything - Kanonen
I liked the ride although reading what others say made me think it wasn't so popular....but you got a launch and loop and some turns and a few hills. For it's size I thought it was really fun and rode it like 10 times, even got a rollback on it!

Big do nothing - Son 👏 of 👏 Beast 👏
Even RMC wouldn't have been able to save this ride. Such a MASSIVE ride and it did *nothing*..... breaking it down in basic terms you had one large drop, a helix, a medium drop into a loop, another helix .....and that was it

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Small but good - wood express, wooden warrior, roar o saurus, Formule 1 (parc st paul), blackpools wild mouse, A zierer flitzer

Big but underwhelming - I305, Big one, anaconda (walygator), mean streak

SeanC

Mega Poster
the obvious choice for small but awesome are the raptor clones, right??

Big but lackluster... Big Apple Express or Manhattan Express or New York Jets or whatever it's called in Vegas

Rock_N_RollBob

Roller Poster
Quick ride favorites -Lightning Run, Lightning Rod, Thunderbird, X-Flight (I know, I know - enthusiast sneer - I like the winged ones) Long ride, waste of space/money - Beast, Desperado, American Eagle...
Perfect blend of length and experience of ones I've ridden: Fury, El Toro, SV, Ghostrider
Perfect blend of ones I haven't (or seems like from pov's) : Hakugei, Zadra, Helix, Taron

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Small but great for me has to be Nemesis and Black Mamba both have good forces in a small footprint. (mindbender Canada and Olympia Looping fit that definition but they are also actually pretty tall)

Big but poor I guess Iron Rattler is the obvious one. Great huge first drop. Complete trash for the rest of the ride.

And Intimidator at Carowinds for me as well. Maybe because i rode it post Fury and maybe because the only ride I had was early in the day but it was the only B&M I've not enjoyed. I'd even put Vortex in the same park significantly higher.