What's new

Skyline Park | Sky Dragster | Maurer Söhne Motorbike

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Skyline Park be like, "Quick, the hate for that hideous Intamin at Ferrari Land is winding down! Get those enthusiasts something to bitch about stat!"

Looks horrendous though. And that S-bend, why???

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
It does look odd but the people saying it's the worst coaster ever are going pretty over the top.

Looking at all the info and the mentions of guest controlled speed I suspect this will be a glorified version of one of those monorails where you can control how fast your car goes. I'd imagine the car always moves forwards but guests can turn the throttle to speed it up. It makes sense if it gets the rumoured single cars. But Capacity will be god awful.

Looks like it will be an interesting fun ride but not anything spectacular.

And Maurer aren't going out of business. They are just spinning off from the parent company Maurer AG. The parent company will stop making rides but the spun off Maurer Rides will still make coasters. They've already sold 4 coasters including this one, including some kind of wing coaster design as well.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
^Never said it would be the worst coaster ever. Pretty sure anything that isn't an SLC is safe from that lovely distinction. ;)

andrus

Giga Poster
roomraider said:
And Maurer aren't going out of business. They are just spinning off from the parent company Maurer AG. The parent company will stop making rides but the spun off Maurer Rides will still make coasters. They've already sold 4 coasters including this one, including some kind of wing coaster design as well.
Where did you read that? Could that be the new coaster for Djurs Sommerland perhaps??

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
You can see that they'll be adding that 'powered strip' or w/e it's called.

TilenB said:
4120-ba3851442afe4dff33e644f00aa87ddd.jpg

13435303_1116084888430144_2549205112439529350_n.jpg

TilenB

Strata Poster
The hot rail seems to have been added to at least a part of the track.

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/skylinepark/posts/1119255654779734[/facebookpost]

Ben

CF Legend
I'm still so confused.

And I'd sort of pushed this out my mind TBH.

What is it.

Why is it.

How did no one in the process just go no this is horrible.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I see this as a more exciting tracked version of those Wiegand Bobkart rides.
I really don't get all the hate...

Poslano z mojega ONEPLUS A3003 z uporabo Tapatalk

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
My German isn't exactly the best, but if I understand the video correctly, this will be a powered coaster - as in, an engine in the train itself. The riders get to choose the speed at which the coaster flies. I wonder how it will turn out, I can see it becoming a quite enjoyable ride - although with terrible capacity.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I was wonder that exact concept, given the weird shell at the front of the car, and teeth on the track.

Cool seeing someone revisit the (reviled) power coaster concept... but 2 person capacity? FFS.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I received the information about Maurer Ride's new Spike coasters last week, but was waiting until the site came online to post here.
These first-of-their-kind Spike coasters are supposed to simulate riding a motorcycle (which is why they only seat two passengers) and are therefore powered and self-driven.
As you can tell from the video Lofty posted and the image below, the cars have changed from what the company showed at last year's IAAPA showcase and Maurer will be showing the new version starting tomorrow at EAS in Barcelona.
Electronic power units that accelerate the vehicles at up to 1.2g and a max speed of 37 mph (60 km/h) will be controlled by a "gas grip" that activates more than 1000 Nm of torsion. However, the vehicle will also have automatic braking that engages prior to sharp turns and hill crests to ensure rider safety. The vehicles will also maintain a minimal acceleration and speed for those that do not wish to engage the "gas grip" for more speed. And yes, seat belts are the only restraints that will be used.

slide-home-1.jpg

According to the video Lofty posted, in addition to the extreme acceleration, the coaster will feature curves banked up to 60° to help to simulate the motorcycle riding experience. The mock-up below shows a dueling version of the coaster that uses the same layout that Sky Dragster has and I wouldn't be surprised to see the second track added for next year.

Layout_Dualing.95.jpg

To create the track, Maurer developed XBEND software that accurately controls 3D freeform bending of steel tubes up to 406mm in diameter. Along with layout development software XTRAC and automated generation of production documents with Xtools, Maurer is hoping to offer these services to other coaster manufacturers.
In addition to the Spike coaster (officially call Spike Racing), Maurer is producing a Spike People Mover and Spike Cargo for transportation of materials.

Spike_de1-75.jpg

Spike_de1-78.jpg

Spike_de1-79.jpg

For those of you that didn't watch the entire video or don't understand German, CEO Jörg Beutler stated that Maurer is currently working on another next-generation coaster that they're hoping to break the height record with, but he wouldn't say more about it than that.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So that is to say, riders can control their rate of acceleration? (to a degree)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Yes. Riders can control the acceleration or not. It's up to each rider, well the rider in the front seat, on whether they twist the "gas grip".

I forgot to mention that Sky Dragster is scheduled to open this October.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Interesting system. Really interesting site to read through too. Some cool applications on there.

First thing that came to mind though was what a kick ass Steeplechase/Soap Box Derby style coaster this could make with 4 parallel racing tracks.