What's new

Six Flags: The most Magic of all the Mountains.

Coop

Roller Poster
Recently returned from a trip to one of my major bucket list parks, Magic Mountain, and what a trip it was.
With a friend in the airline industry I managed to get an ultra cheap flight out to LAX for a two night trip from the UK, an opportunity i absolutely could not turn down. Magic Mountain has been top of my bucket list ever since I can remember.
Setting off early on the Monday morning we arrived at Denny's for breakfast with X2 teasing me from across the freeway, I spent most of breakfast staring at it through the window in disbelief that I was actually about to ride it.
Arriving at the carpark was surreal, passing X2 and parking right in front of Twisted Colossus whilst watching it testing and seeing just how nuts that ride is.
We headed straight up the mountain to Superman which fortunately was still a walk on, we managed two rides before the line got busier. I was anxious about how this coaster would ride considering it's been a major bucket list coaster ever since I was a kid but what an awesome ride. The launch just goes on and on, the glorious amounts of floater you get, the surprisingly intense positive Gs you get as you start to ascend the tower and the intense sense of speed as you level out and fly towards the station which makes your cheeks do that wobbly thing. Absolutely a top 10 coaster for me.
66801645_391404538163421_8083547012814864384_n.jpg
Tatsu was up next, ascending that lift hill genuinely terrified me, staring straight down that massive drop. The coaster in general I thought was really fun, nothing mind blowing but certainly a really fab flyer, however that pretzel loop was insane, I was expecting it to be intense but wow that inversion is like nothing I've experienced before.

Having done the rapids (major soaker) and Ninja (fun ride but slightly ruined by the horrible claustrophobic Arrow restraints) we headed down to X2, with Platinum flash passes we walked straight on for a back row ride. This is another major bucket list coaster so ascending that huge lift hill I was anxious as to whether this would live up to expectations. Honestly I still don't know how I feel about it, I absolutely loved the back row ride, the pull you get going down the first drop was like nothing I've ever experienced on a ride and the final raven turn was nuts. I wouldn't say the back row ride was rough but it certainly is a bit of a leg basher but nothing painful. However, we went straight back round for a front row ride which was a totally different experience, it was far rougher than the back row. The first drop was fab, slowly starting to descend face down is brilliant but going up into the first raven turn was really jolty, not too dissimilar to Furious Baco's joltiness. Don't get me wrong I absolutely loved this coaster and it's in my top 10 but the roughness of that front row ride made it slightly difficult to really take in the experience.

I'll keep the next few ride reviews short before this trip report becomes a novel.
The New Revolution: Surprisingly fun with a pretty forceful loop.
Scream: Fun ride but, you know, parking lot.
Riddler's Revenge: Also fun but too much of an ear basher for me.
Batman The Ride: F*****g intense.
Goliath: Actually surprisingly good. Strong positive Gs at the bottom of the first drop, nice bit of floater on the airtime hill and extremely strong and sustained positive Gs on the low to the ground helix.
Lex Luthor: the ascent is terrifying especially since the tower sways, but the drop just isn't that forceful.

Full Throttle was a really big surprise for me, such an awesome coaster. the launch is nice and snappy, the hangtime on the loop is so fab, especially with a loose restraint, the backwards launch is fun with a nice bit of floater airtime in the back car and you get a nice pop of airtime over the top hat. A super fun and re-rideable coaster.

And finally we get to the absolute gem of Magic Mountain which by no surprise is Twisted Colossus. This was my first RMC credit and my new number 1 coaster. got a few back row rides and one front row ride and wow this thing hauls. Every single element is so much fun. The first bunny hill has a nice pop of airtime, the turn around section with the high-five element is so fab.The long stretch back towards the station is really where this thing shines. This section is packed with the strongest airtime I've ever experienced and the top gun stall is such an insane element. personally I prefer a front row ride for a greater sense of speed but back row certainly has the stronger airtime.
67486932_2379089288992318_3021820147720519680_n.jpg

Magic Mountain absolutely surpassed expectations for me, such an incredible collection of coasters in a beautiful location, so many bucket list coasters ticked off the list and a big shake up of my top 10 coasters.

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
That brought back some happy memories. Totally a bucket list park with bucket list creds by any standards. I went in 2010, my first taste of the Six Flags experience. In fact, it was probably my first proper visit to a proper bucket list park outside of Florida.. and I loved it!
And your first RMC too? Always a special moment for a goon!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just making sure I heard that right - a two day trip to LA from the UK? :eek:

As much as Six Flags is generally a depressing thing, SFMM does have a few really outstanding rides. Not been since 2013, but it's almost got that Cedar Point feel as you drive up past the huge, iconic creds. Glad you liked the RMC too - what will be RMC #2, I wonder?

Coop

Roller Poster
Just making sure I heard that right - a two day trip to LA from the UK? :eek:
Haha yup that is correct, it was the terms of the ticket, basically I went over with a friend who was working on the flight which had a two night layover.

Next RMC will be Untamed in September and I’m even more excited now than I was before.

Fantastic review really enjoyed that! Glad to see you managed to do so much! X2 was my number 1 until Wildfire (Kolmarden) back in May this year, but I rode it back in 2012 so it might be a bit rougher than before. Where does it place in your top 10?

Extra respect for repping MD as well. Such a shame they're no longer around.

Coop

Roller Poster
Fantastic review really enjoyed that! Glad to see you managed to do so much! X2 was my number 1 until Wildfire (Kolmarden) back in May this year, but I rode it back in 2012 so it might be a bit rougher than before. Where does it place in your top 10?

Extra respect for repping MD as well. Such a shame they're no longer around.

Oh I’m not actually sure where it places yet, I think maybe about number 5.

Haha thanks, well spotted, Martyr Defiled were top class.