What's new

Six Flags Qiddiya| Saudi Arabia | Theme Park

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry if there's already a thread on this, but Six Flags clearly wasn't done in Asia after announcing parks in Dubai, China and Vietnam... as they've now announced a park in Saudi Arabia. It is expected to open in 2022 and will be within Qiddiya, some sort of large entertainment complex. Other than that, not a lot is presently known about the park. Here's an article from Arabian Business regarding this: http://www.arabianbusiness.com/trav...ags-theme-park-coming-to-saudi-arabia-in-2022
It's certainly an interesting idea, but I reckon this will be a huge hit for Six Flags and the region. They don't really have any major competition, for a start!

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to double post and bump the thread, but according to Screamscape, details on this will be announced later in August:
Screamscape said:
Six Flags - (8/1/19) According to this report new details about the Six Flags Qiddiya (Saudi Arabia) theme park development are supposed to be announced sometime in August.
Very exciting; wonder what Six Flags Qiddiya will entail? According to the report, this will open in 2023 as part of a larger leisure complex!
P.S. Here's the Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#SixFlags

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
To be honest, this Six Flags investment seems quite odd.

If my memory serves me correctly, there's a Saudi law that states that any foreign company setting up in Saudi Arabia must have a Saudi business partner (In this case PIF) that has to be the primary beneficiary of the business venture.

Therefore it would seem logical for Six Flags to opt for another country, unless they think that this park would be extremely profitable (Of course it would be a year-round park).

Matt N

CF Legend

If my memory serves me correctly, there's a Saudi law that states that any foreign company setting up in Saudi Arabia must have a Saudi business partner (In this case PIF) that has to be the primary beneficiary of the business venture.

Therefore it would seem logical for Six Flags to opt for another country, unless they think that this park would be extremely profitable (Of course it would be a year-round park).
Well, they haven't got any competition in the area, so that gives them an instant advantage!

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

I imagine this is the same deal as the Dubai (Dubai Parks And Resorts) and China (Riverside Group) parks. Six Flags arent the developer they are just licensing out the name. Same as how Fox licensed to Genting and similar to how how The Oriental Land Company license Disney in Tokyo. Basically Six Flags arent really putting the money into the project. They are getting paid for use of their brand and probably providing consulting and maybe engineers.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Please tell me this is a joke? I found these on Coaster Bot Discord:-

Screenshot_20190826-124001__01.jpg

I will eat my cat if this actually goes through.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
There's actually already a thread for this park over here

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
There's actually already a thread for this park over here

This forum has too many threads, lol.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Yup probably won't happen. But just in case.

A couple of poor quality images showing roughtly the same thing with slightly different quality but showing the layout of the park

Things to note.
1) Thats woodie on the right in Grand Exposition is a clone of the one heading to Six Flags China which we already know is a GCI design.
2) Vekoma SFC Orkanen layout in City of Thrills
3) Mack Posiedon model in Steam Town
4) The massve coaster appears to run round the south and east of the park.

Cant really parse the other layouts from such crap images but there we are
SFQ.JPGSFQ2.jpg

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Saudi Arabia and the UAE are littered with projects like this. Biggest in the world this and biggest in the world that. There seems to be a mentality of announcing something huge to gain a lot of attention, start construction to get investors into the project, and then hightail it with their money, or continue until something unexpected happens, and then go bankrupt because the financial safety margins are nil. A trip to the Middle East section of the Skyscrapercity forums will yield a lot of examples, at least three of which are the failed attempts at building the tallest building in the world. With this coaster seemingly designed in Planet Coaster by someone who doesn't understand how banking works, I don't have much faith in this turning out any differently than, say, Universal Studios Dubai. And who the heck builds an entirely outdoors park in Riyadh? Have fun those five months of the year where the temperature exceeds +40 C every day.