What's new

Six Flags Qiddiya| Saudi Arabia | Theme Park

Rupert

Mega Poster
Everything about this is pretty ridiculous.

I wonder what the effect of construction of these giant modern coasters will be on parks around the world. Will there be little impact because frankly few people will ride them? Or will their reputation and impact/impressions on social media result in demand for similar rides in the more traditional markets of the US & Europe?

I’m leaning towards the first scenario where not much changes elsewhere, not only because of limited awareness of the park but also nowhere else really has the resources to build new coasters on this scale.

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
Everything about this is pretty ridiculous.

I wonder what the effect of construction of these giant modern coasters will be on parks around the world. Will there be little impact because frankly few people will ride them? Or will their reputation and impact/impressions on social media result in demand for similar rides in the more traditional markets of the US & Europe?

I’m leaning towards the first scenario where not much changes elsewhere, not only because of limited awareness of the park but also nowhere else really has the resources to build new coasters on this scale.
I don't think there will be limited awareness about this park around the world, because this will be a Six Flags park.
But I do think you're right about the amount of resources used in constructing the park.

Christian

Hyper Poster
I think this just highlights a general issue with Saudi Arabia's massive expansion. They really don't seem to have a plan with it all, other than just having something bigger than someone else (mainly Dubai).

Just took a look at their world's largest airport announcement. They want to build an airport and airline that is bigger than Dubai's. They just seem to miss a thing. Dubai's Emirates already exists, there is no reason for anyone to choose their airline over Emirates. When Emirates was founded they had a unique vision and plan. A plan that was based on themselves and not on just copying someone else.

This coaster is a similar story. The GP would probably be too afraid to ride it, especially if they havnt be accustomed to big coasters. And the few enthusiasts who will make the trek there won't carry the park.

I think one day this stupid spending will catch up to them and the tolls of this massive dick measuring contest will eventually be felt by the everyday Saudi.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
It's all completely mad and being built in abhorrent place but from a purely coaster nerd perspective it's quite something watching this place come together. That tilt layout could well be the best of the 3 we've seen and it's basically a hyper coaster to boot.

And the most recent plans revealed the GCI has been redone and is now a custom layout and not just a Bombay express clone. On top of that the sfc is also a new model and spitfire looks like a modern Mr freeze.

Falcon is well falcon enormous and ridiculous. Watching it go up is going to be quite something.

On the other hand there's plenty of time for the park to crash and burn.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Been waiting to post this for a long while.
That's all nice and dandy, but out of curiosity;

Why now? What has changed in the past two years for someone to only now green-light you to publicize the video?

I've also seen the Vekoma Cliffhanger POV, clips of which were used in a Qiddiya promotional video two years back, and this is a time where we're starting to tie up loose ends with all these new tilt coaster developments. Just looking for context, is all.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
That's all nice and dandy, but out of curiosity;

Why now? What has changed in the past two years for someone to only now green-light you to publicize the video?

I've also seen the Vekoma Cliffhanger POV, clips of which were used in a Qiddiya promotional video two years back, and this is a time where we're starting to tie up loose ends with all these new tilt coaster developments. Just looking for context, is all.

So that's easy. We found this video 2 years ago when it was posted but didn't know if was accurate or an elaborate fake.

A lot of people would have posted it straight away I am sure. And I would understand why.

But when it comes to VH I will never post something that I haven't confirmed to be accurate (as much as possible when it comes to Chinese stuff at least) so we held onto it until we confirmed it as accurate.

In this case the confirmation came from some leaked park plans such as this

Screenshot_2022-12-01-20-57-09-71_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Which confirmed the video matched up with the plans.

I know it's kind of counter intuitive as an enthusiast webpage not to post things as soon as they are found. But VH genuinely has a reputation and a level of trust with several coaster manafacturerers (intamin apparently found out where Zaturn was going in Russia thanks to VHs posts for example)

I'd like to keep it that way to be honest. In the long run it works out better for us all.

Hopefully that explains why 😂

Ethan

Strata Poster
Why do you say it like it's a bad thing converting to islam ?
I think you're putting words in their mouth a little. I think they were commenting on the fact that in countries such as Saudi Arabia, those who are not Islamic are treated differently, and that converting to Islam would mean they could more comfortably visit/move to this location to experience the park.

Anyway, the camel rock does look rather wonderful. I won't ever visit but if it looks anything close to those models... Wow. Those caves/caverns look as though they could look rather wonderful if done correctly.

Changa

Mega Poster
Based on the layout for the Vekoma, the scale of Falcons flight, and the quality of camel rock, they certainly aren't half-baking the park. I doubt I'll ever be comfy going given the general situation, but I'm impressed at how good these plans are and that they might actually open it to guests.

Also, its still funny how this is a six flags park. The same brand that produced thematic juggernauts like the joker freespins is now associated with stuff like this.

Last edited:

Justin2000

Mega Poster
Based on the layout for the Vekoma the scale of Falcons flight, and the quality of camel rock, they certainly aren't half-baking the park. I doubt I'll ever be comfy going given the general situation, but I'm impressed at how good these plans are and that they might actually open it to guests.

Also, its still funny how this is a six flags park. The same brand that produced thematic juggernauts like the joker freespins is now associated with stuff like this.

Hey Six Flags doesn't have the theming budget of Avengers Campus or PIXAR Pier

Changa

Mega Poster
Hey Six Flags doesn't have the theming budget of Avengers Campus or PIXAR Pier
True. The context is completely different with the SA park (and presumably a bespoke design team?), I just find the juxtaposition quite funny.

Edit: I was way too tired to notice the sarcasm lol.

Last edited: