What's new

Six Flags Great America 2012

D1993

Hyper Poster
I didnt know if this thread already existed, but I couldnt find one. If there is, could a moderator either merge or delete this thread. Thanks.

Anyways, with the departure of Iron Wolf, it seems that SFGAm will be getting a new ride and I checked out their facebook page and their making an announcement on whats new in 2012 on september 1st!
I doubt its going to be anything particularly large as the effects of the removal of IW will be seen more into 2013. IMO that is.

heres the link to their facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/SFGreatAmerica

edit: after actually snooping around the facebook page, it seems to be something pretty cool!!
Actually excited to see what its gonna be!

Tony

Hyper Poster
Screamscape is pointing towards a B&M Wingrider which would be awesome if true, plus isn't there supposed to be a third wingrider on the way? And what better way than to replace an old B&M with a new one :p . I can hope anyways, they really need something new and stand-out to add to their line up.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Six Flags also trademarked the name "X-Flight" (all this is according to screamscape) and is rumored to go where the old antique cars and splash water falls were located, plus more. If this thing is a wingrider and is intense, well I will be excited, but it is Great America, it will probably just end up being a wild mouse.

TTDfan52

Mega Poster
I'm guessing the new coaster is gunna go where the classic cars/water ride thingy used to be because SFGAm has already said they're building a ferris wheel where IW was.

D1993

Hyper Poster
^ Are we totally sure its going to be a roller coaster?
Either way, hopefully this park gets something pretty wicked. They havent had a really good addition for a while, although I do support their decision to invest into the water park and expand it. I reckon that was a good idea.

Although, the last ride on a big scale was Superman (correct me if im wrong), so I really think it is time for this park to get another awesome roller coaster.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Yes. It is a coaster. Look at the countdown on their facebook. It is clearly a 4d style sitting coaster.

Josh73

Giga Poster
Why do you think it will be a 4D type coaster? I went on their Facebook and didn't see any clues pointing to that.

tribar

Mega Poster
D1993 said:
^ Are we totally sure its going to be a roller coaster?
Either way, hopefully this park gets something pretty wicked. They havent had a really good addition for a while, although I do support their decision to invest into the water park and expand it. I reckon that was a good idea.

Although, the last ride on a big scale was Superman (correct me if im wrong), so I really think it is time for this park to get another awesome roller coaster.

Nope your right Superman was SFGAm's large coaster.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
Last coaster would have been the Dark Knight Coaster, Large/Big depends on your own opinion, I think DK was just as good as SUF. I get bored after the pretzel loop, but I enjoyed DK, definatly the best wild mouse i've been on (i'm not usually a fan)

Looking at the jigsaw on the facebook page a wingrider looks likely, you can see a riders arm and leg outside the train and the park already has an invert . . .

D1993

Hyper Poster
^ yeah true I guess it depends on your opinion. I would definetly not say DK was a major coaster. its just an enclosed wild mouse, and Ive ridden enough of them for them to be exciting. Its a design that is overused way too much.

I wouldnt say superman is boring either, even after the pretzel loop. My most recent ride this july on superman was the most intense experience ive had on it and definetly my best experience with the ride.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
I think when I rode it I was comparing it with Air at AT (The only other B&M flyer I've been on) I enjoyed the larger drop on SUF and of course the pretzel, but those two elements aside I prefered Air, mainly because of the way it flies closer to the scenery towards the end of the ride.

I agree that Wild Mouse coasters are overused, I don't enjoy being hurled into the side of the car on every corner of a coaster, but DK seems to have wider corners than most so it's not as bad. Being indoor should increase it's lifespan too.

D1993

Hyper Poster
^ that would be a good thing actually. Hopefully it'll last for quite some time and im sure it will.
Dk wasnt really even advertised though I guess, as a big new ride. Great America will do great with whatever addition it is they are getting. How far could september 1st possibly be? gah

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Oh hello wing rider. In the newest puzzle piece removed (bottom) you can clearly make out "nothing above" which makes me think, "nothing above or below you" which well, let's use our brains shaint we? It also says a number of drops and what looks like loops but I'm not sure. But yeah, it's a wing rider.

Josh73

Giga Poster
It looks like it says 3 loops but I can't tell. So excited to find out what it is!

It will be a Wing-Rider. Look at the picture. Tomorrow!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
You can see with the pieces removed already that it will be a wing coaster. In the top right, you can see a foot and on the bottom left, you can see the arms of a rider. Also, notice in the middle how there are no riders where the puzzle pieces have been removed.

D1993

Hyper Poster
when is the announcement time?
I heard somewhere on the facebook page it was 2am, but that seems kinda ridiculous

alexr

Hyper Poster
It's A Wingrider, it was said by L.A Times before they had to delete the article.

350853200-31154714_0.jpg

Here's what it was said in the Article about the Ride.

Six Flags Great America (outside Chicago) – Billed as the only wing coaster in the United States, X-Flight by Bolliger & Mabillard will feature barrel rolls and high-speed drops with seats that straddle the 3,000-foot-long track.

Here's What was said for the rest of the announcements.

Six Flags unveiled its 2012 lineup of new roller coasters, thrill rides, water slides and live shows at the amusement park chain's 12 North American locations.

New Six Flags President and Chief Executive Jim Reid-Anderson said a full slate of new additions would become an annual event, promising to add a new attraction at "every Six Flags park every year."

Six Flags' 2012 attractions include two new roller coasters, two relocated coasters, three tower rides, three water slide complexes and at least one show.

Among the highlights:

Six Flags Great America (outside Chicago) – Billed as the only wing coaster in the United States, X-Flight by Bolliger & Mabillard will feature barrel rolls and high-speed drops with seats that straddle the 3,000-foot-long track.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (Northern California) – The Superman: Ultimate Flight launch coaster will rocket riders at 60 miles per hour through a towering 150-foot-high inversion and a pair of vertical twists.

Six Flags Magic Mountain (Southern California) – The Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom drop tower will be attached to both sides of the park's 415-foot-tall Superman: Escape from Krypton coaster tower. The new thrill ride will rank as the world’s tallest (400 feet) and fastest (85 mph) drop tower.

Six Flags Great Adventure (New Jersey) and Six Flags Fiesta Texas (San Antonio) – Both parks will install Sky Screamer swing towers for 2012. Six Flags built Sky Screamers of varying heights at Six Flags St. Louis (236 feet) and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (150 feet) in 2011. No word yet on the ride heights at Great Adventure and Fiesta Texas.

Six Flags America (outside Washington D.C.) – The 100-foot-tall Apocalypse stand-up coaster will travel at 55 mph through a loop and a corkscrew along a 2,900-foot-long track. The 1990 Bolliger & Mabillard coaster, formerly known as Iron Wolf, will be relocated from Six Flags Great America near Chicago.

Six Flags New England (Massachusetts) – The 192-foot-tall Goliath inverted boomerang coaster will travel forward and backward at 65 mph through a cobra roll and a loop along a 1,200-foot-long track. The 2001 Vekoma coaster, formerly known as Deja Vu, will be relocated from Six Flags Magic Mountain near Los Angeles.

Six Flags St. Louis (Missouri) and Six Flags Great Adventure (New Jersey) – Both parks will add a Bonzai Pipeline looping water slide to their respective Hurricane Harbor water parks.

Great Escape (New York) – The Nordic-themed Alpine Freefalls water slide complex will be added to the Great Escape's Splashwater Kingdom water park.

Six Flags Over Georgia (Atlanta) – A 45th anniversary tribute show will join the park's entertainment lineup.

Six Flags Over Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth), Six Flags Fiesta Texas (San Antonio), Six Flags Mexico (Mexico City) and La Ronde (Montreal) – Each of the parks will add a still-undisclosed ride, attraction or show in 2012.
[/quote]

D1993

Hyper Poster
omgsh it looks so good!!
We need a whole bunch of new threads for all the new six flags rides!!
I cant beleive the Superman ride at SFDK! Its CRAZY!
And the drop tower! WOW!
and another B&M wing rider! omgsh! Im really really REALLY loving 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!