What's new

SFGAdv | Jersey Devil Coaster | RMC Raptor | 2021

Matt N

CF Legend
Despite the Intamin form probably not being for SFGAdv, Screamscape has hinted that SFGAdv will see a coaster in 2020:
Screamscape said:
2020 - New Coaster - Rumor - (7/24/19) Screamscape is hearing that after four year gap, Six Flags Great Adventure may be adding a new coaster in 2020. The last coaster installed was The Joker in 2016, and while we don’t know exactly what they are working on just yet, I’ve been told to keep our expectations more modest, as this isn't going to be another Nitro, El Toro or Kingda Ka sized project. Stay tuned!
Interesting... we'll have to keep our eyes peeled!
P.S. Here's the Screamscape link: www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_great_adventure.htm

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Something similar to Maxx Force at SFGAm, perhaps? It's supposed to be very good!
An S&S air launch has also been rumored for Six Flags Over Georgia as well. Considering that it's a ride type that every park except Six Flags Magic Mountain lacks, it's likely a safe prediction for a few of the major parks in the chain over the next few years.

Matt N

CF Legend
Six Flags Great Adventure has now announced that they will be announcing their 2020 attraction on 29th August at 5am, so I'd presume that this is when Six Flags Day is, too!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It will probably be a launch coaster from Premier Rides or S&S. Very big, and Very short.
If Screamscape's "expect something modest" prediction is true, I'd scale back my expectations by an order of magnitude of so. We might be looking at Generic DC Character's Generic Family Coaster: Vanilla Flavour instead of an S&S Megalooper. After all, Maxx Force is one of the biggest and fastest coasters Six Flags has built in over a decade, I wouldn't expect them to match that the year after.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
It is a shame if it is just a small family coaster. Six Flags Great Adventure seems to be in need of another headline coaster..

Hutch

Strata Poster
Six Flags Great Adventure seems to be in need of another headline coaster..
Are they though? They have Kingda Ka, El Toro, and Nitro, which are huge draws. Not all three are that good, but that's still a pretty solid big three to attract a bunch of guests.

John Knotts

Mega Poster
If Screamscape's "expect something modest" prediction is true, I'd scale back my expectations by an order of magnitude of so. We might be looking at Generic DC Character's Generic Family Coaster: Vanilla Flavour instead of an S&S Megalooper. After all, Maxx Force is one of the biggest and fastest coasters Six Flags has built in over a decade, I wouldn't expect them to match that the year after.

Well Screamscape has been wrong before. And every year SF pulls one surprise people don’t see coming. Last year it was Maxx Force. The year before it was Wonder Woman.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Are they though? They have Kingda Ka, El Toro, and Nitro, which are huge draws. Not all three are that good, but that's still a pretty solid big three to attract a bunch of guests.
They already have a good line-up, though when parks around it are building exciting new coasters Great Adventure is more and more seemingly falling behind..
In the chain right now i think its not too long until Fiesta Texas and Great America overtake Great Adventure, Great Adventure in the past decade has got a heavily cloned coaster and a relocated stand up.. Great America got a kiddie Woodie, a RMC, a B&M, a S&S launch, and a freespin!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Great Adventure in the past decade has got a heavily cloned coaster and a relocated stand up.. Great America got a kiddie Woodie, a RMC, a B&M, a S&S launch, and a freespin!
Then again, that's Great America standing out from the norm of the chain, not Great Adventure falling behind. SFGAm seems to be excepted from Six Flags' austerity policies for some weird reason; it has got three of the five biggest coasters the chain built new from the ground up post bankruptcy.

That being said, Wonder Woman was a very welcome coaster that provided lots of thrills despite a small size, so even a small investment can potentially bring big thrills to SFGAdv. But I think even a Wonder Woman clone would be near the upper size limit of what we can expect for SFGAdv in the near future.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Then again, that's Great America standing out from the norm of the chain, not Great Adventure falling behind. SFGAm seems to be excepted from Six Flags' austerity policies for some weird reason; it has got three of the five biggest coasters the chain built new from the ground up post bankruptcy.

That being said, Wonder Woman was a very welcome coaster that provided lots of thrills despite a small size, so even a small investment can potentially bring big thrills to SFGAdv. But I think even a Wonder Woman clone would be near the upper size limit of what we can expect for SFGAdv in the near future.
It seems that the primary reason why Six Flags tends to go bigger with their Illinois property is the guarantee of huge returns on investment - according to the TEACOM 2018 Theme Park Attendance Report, Six Flags Great America hosted 3.107 million visitors in 2018. Combine that with the constant theme of Great America trip reports that the park is always busy, and it's quite clear to see why Six Flags sees so much financial potential in this park. Whatever they add is bound to increase ticket sales and solidify Six Flags Great America's claim as the "Thrill Capital of the Midwest".

John Knotts

Mega Poster
Screamscape actually predicted an S&S launch coaster before it came, whereas everyone else was expecting a waterpark expansion.

And he was dead wrong when it came to SFFT the year before, and was all over the place when it came to SFMM. He reports what people send him. Sometimes they’re right on, other times he winds up having to do clean up work a few weeks later.

To his credit, he's gotten much better at letting readers know when he's not buying it or when he has confidence it's solid.

Last edited:

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Let's not forget that Six Flags Great America was the forgotten flagship for nearly a decade. Between Superman and X-Flight, the park received a wild mouse and a relocated family woodie. Considering the park's market and attendance, it seemed a bit odd that Great Adventure and Magic Mountain were able to squeeze out a few more notable coasters in that time period, yet nothing for Great America.